It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 21:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 22:46
A - correct answer.
"reported" and "announced" are parallel to each other.

B - "surpassing wall street's estimates" is a comma + -ing modifier at the end of a sentence.
It modifies the subject of the preceding clause - "the report of the computer company".

"they" does not have a logical referent.
"price cuts that they(the company) intend to increase sales further" - does not make any sense.

C - modifier error. "Surpassing Wall street's estimates" should have modified "earnings".
"they" does not have a logical referent.

D - "surpassing Wall Street's estimates" modifies "the computer company". Illogical.
"and" requires parallelism. "and announcing" is not logically parallel to anything. Note that if it were parallel to "surpassing", the comma before the "and" would not be necessary.

E - "surpassing wall street's estimates" modifies "the computer company".
"announcing that ..." seems to modify "there would be the first in a series of price cuts". - Modifier error.
"announcing that ..." should apply to the "the computer company".

"...to increase sales further, there would be the first in a series of price cuts" - this seems to imply that only the first price cut would contribute to increased sales.

Usage of "while" (= at the same time as) does not make sense here. "reporting" and "announcing" did not happen at the same time.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 855

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

Undergraduate: Stanford
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
WE: Asset Management (Consulting)
The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 09:36
Long underline. I think there will be structure, meaning, or parallelism issues.

A: Regarding structure, there's a subject and a verb. I don't see any issues, so I'll look at B
B: Company is singular
C: Meaning issue. The report didn't surpass expectations.
D: This sequence looks off. I think it's because of the use ", and" that makes it seem there are three items being discussed. There are only two items: reported and announced.
E: The firm didn't surpass estimates. The earnings surpassed estimates.

My selection: Choice A.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2017, 09:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap