Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [38]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8831 [10]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
Re: The concept of difference feminism, proposed by psychologist Carol Gil [#permalink]
workout For answer of 1st question, while reading the passage i could not get from the tone of the author that he is criticizing a line of thought. In the passage author keeps referring to the critics whenever any discussion comes up of criticizing anything. Can you please quote some lines from the passage which gives an idea that the author himself is criticizing??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [2]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: The concept of difference feminism, proposed by psychologist Carol Gil [#permalink]
Kudos
MG1105 wrote:
workout For answer of 1st question, while reading the passage i could not get from the tone of the author that he is criticizing a line of thought. In the passage author keeps referring to the critics whenever any discussion comes up of criticizing anything. Can you please quote some lines from the passage which gives an idea that the author himself is criticizing??

MG1105

The findings of the book have rightly been challenged by critics who point out that the responses elicited from the interviewees were not fully uncontaminated as these women were told the topic of the study in advance. However, irrespective of the authenticity of the findings of studies that confirm the ideas propagated in books such as In a Different Voice and Women’s way of Knowing, the conclusions drawn by the authors of these books are unwarranted. If the idea that women prefer to avoid disagreement and to promote understanding and acceptance over judgment and assessment had been true, there would have been clear and loud demands from women to change the basic nature of education provided to them as clearly the whole point of critical thinking, which forms an integral part of the education system, is to know what to accept and what to reject by assessment and judgment.

the highlighted parts are the author being critical. The italicized part is support for his conclusion in blue. Hope it helps :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Schools: IMD '21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
@gmatninja@mikemcgarry
For question no.3, i understand that option e goes in the right line of reasoning.
However, can the experts pl explain how option a is not correct answer.
In the first paragraph it has been said that the views have been criticised by many.
And in second para it has been said that their are few people who admire the views. Hence both views look to be going in opposite direction
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
for q1 - E. To criticize a line of thought deemed evidence-less.

please someone explain, the bold part. where has the auth mentioned the line of thot is evidence less.If he refersto the book being criticized in last para, then there is evidence ,though not accurate.

2. which line of thot is he referring to? if its the one from 1st para then please explain the opposing view where the author deems that thot evidence less. He mentions critics POV which itself doesnt argue for evidence. chetan2u @sayatanc2k egmat
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Isn't the last few lines of the last paragraph explaining a line of reasoning that counters the old fashioned idea? I am confused regarding option D. D could be the answer.
Really would appreciate a reply from the gmatclub expert family:)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Krishchamp wrote:
Isn't the last few lines of the last paragraph explaining a line of reasoning that counters the old fashioned idea? I am confused regarding option D. D could be the answer.
Really would appreciate a reply from the gmatclub expert family:)

Hi Krishchamp,

Please refer this answer by expert:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-concept- ... l#p2127929

Let me know if you still have doubts.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
The concept of difference feminism, proposed by psychologist Carol Gil [#permalink]
4 mins all correct, this is not a 700 level passage by any stretch of the imagination, kindly re-classify.

Thank you
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [1]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
richirish wrote:
4 mins all correct, this is not a 700 level passage by any stretch of the imagination, kindly re-classify.

Thank you

Hello there

This passage is somewhere between 650-700, I have edited the difficulty level on your behalf.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
The concept of difference feminism, proposed by psychologist Carol Gil [#permalink]
Hi egmat

In Q3 Isn't C correct as well? It does say that her views became popular among authors and also in D can we confidently say that becoming popular is really an influence?

In Q4 "What’s most enraging, aptly so, to the critics of Gilligan is the idea proposed by her in her book In a Different Voice that women have their own special version of morality rooted in relationships and caring rather than the supposedly abstract notions of justice and equity." if critics are mostly enraged by the special version of morality doesn't it make sense that they will obviously be more enraged with this "morality" than anything else?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: ISB '24
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
how can for q4 c be correct . Forming opinon is not same as accpeting after judgement
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts