Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [65]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [26]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [22]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [5]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: The contractor and the engineer agree on the cause of the bridge failu [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. both blame the other "both" is not the correct quantifier for individuals; thus, the sentence is illogical. Is there a third person?
B. each blames the other OK - subject and verb are singular, and the "other" refers to not himself or herself.
C. each blame the other person "blame" is plural form, but "each" must have singular predicate
D. both are blaming the other "both" is not the correct quantifier for each individual
E. each blames one another "one another" indicates interaction between two parties, thus making the predicate illogical.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V30
Send PM
Re: The contractor and the engineer agree on the cause of the bridge failu [#permalink]
mejia401 wrote:
A. both blame the other "both" is not the correct quantifier for individuals; thus, the sentence is illogical. Is there a third person?
B. each blames the other OK - subject and verb are singular, and the "other" refers to not himself or herself.
C. each blame the other person "blame" is plural form, but "each" must have singular predicate
D. both are blaming the other "both" is not the correct quantifier for each individual
E. each blames one another "one another" indicates interaction between two parties, thus making the predicate illogical.

Hi mejia, in your explanation of E, I don't understand why "one another" is wrong, as the original sentence does talk about interactions of two persons.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
annays wrote:
mejia401 wrote:

Hi mejia, in your explanation of E, I don't understand why "one another" is wrong, as the original sentence does talk about interactions of two persons.

Hi annays, here is my thought on E.

Since "one another" emphasizes the interaction of 2 persons, the subject should be plural. I guess "both blame one another" makes more sense.

I'm not a native speaker, and someone tell me if I'm wrong please.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Yes, your interpretation is correct; the subject has to be plural. However there is a small error in your explanation.

The phrase "one another" is used when there are more than 2 entities involves in the interaction. When there are just 2 entities involved, we use "each other".

The players shook hands with one another. (when the number of players is more than 2)
The players shook hands with each other. (when the number of players is exactly 2)

I think GMAT may disagree with the sentences you used for example.
This is what I read on OG 16 page 768, explaining a SC question number 124.
"The subject and the verb agree with one another, but the placement of the modifier.........."

I'm guessing if the subject is plural then it's ok to use "one another".
Can someone clarify this again?

Originally posted by tae808 on 30 Jul 2016, 16:53.
Last edited by tae808 on 30 Jul 2016, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I can't say for sure that the GMAT ever tests the distinction between "each other" and "one another," but both of those phrases requires a plural subject:

They blame each other.
They blame one another.

I can say "My boss and I blame each other [or perhaps one another]," but I can't say "I blame one another and so does my boss."
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
bbb789 wrote:
The contractor and engineer agree on the cause of the bridge failure, but both blame the other.

A) both blame the other
B) each blames the other
C) each blame the other person
D) both are blaming the other
E) each blames one another

Who can explain the answer of this question? It's from official Gmat Prep test.

A) both blame the other -------- (Incorrect)
C) each blame the other person -------- (Incorrect)
D) both are blaming the other -------- (Incorrect)
E) each blames one another -------- (Incorrect)

B) each blames the other ------- (Correct)
"Each" is singular hence singular "blames" should be used.
"each---other" is used for two things/persons. "one another" for more than two.
In the sentence there are just two people contractor and engineer. Hence "each --- other" is the correct form.
Answer (B)...

Hope its clear now. :)

Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
HI Abhi077 , nightblade354

Please add the tag as GMATPrep EP1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
Option (E) each blames one other.
Why everyone is explaining one another instead of one other, which is what written in question.
Some one explain why option (E) each blames one other is wrong?

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
Why everyone is explaining one another instead of one other, which is what written in question.

Hello AbhishekDhanraJ72,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "one another" is used in reference to groups of more than two; for groups of two, "the other" is correct, as in any group there will be only one other to refer to.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:

Hello AbhishekDhanraJ72,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "one another" is used in reference to groups of more than two; for groups of two, "the other" is correct, as in any group there will be only one other to refer to.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

So why E is wrong? Even E uses other.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi option E is wrongly typed one other insted of one another. Please someone correct the question.

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618671 [1]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
Hi option E is wrongly typed one other insted of one another. Please someone correct the question.

Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
Revenge2014 wrote:
The contractor and the engineer agree on the cause of the bridge failure, but both blame the other.

(A) both blame the other
(B) each blames the other
(C) each blame the other person
(D) both are blaming the other
(E) each blames one another

Attachment:
Untitled.jpg

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning of this sentence is crucial to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that the contractor blames the engineer, and the engineer blames the contractor.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Tenses + Pronouns

• The simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.
• The simple present continuous tense is used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature.
• "one another” is used to refer to two elements, and “each other” is used to refer to two elements.

A:
1/ This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the clause "both blame the other"; the construction of this clause incorrectly implies that the contractor and the engineer both blame a third, "other" party; the intended meaning is that the contractor blames the engineer, and the engineer blames the contractor.

B: Correct.
1/ This answer choice correctly refers to the singular pronoun "each" with the singular verb "blames".
2/ Option B uses the clause "each blames the other", conveying the intended meaning - that the contractor blames the engineer, and the engineer blames the contractor.
3/ Option B correctly uses the simple present tense verb "blames" to refer to an action that takes place in the current time frame.
4/ Option B correctly uses "the other" to refer to two elements.

C:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular pronoun "each" with the plural verb "blame".
2/ Option C alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "blame the other"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the contractor and the engineer both blame a third, "other" party; the intended meaning is that the contractor blames the engineer, and the engineer blames the contractor.

D:
1/ This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the clause "both are blaming the other"; the construction of this clause incorrectly implies that the contractor and the engineer both blame a third, "other" party; the intended meaning is that the contractor blames the engineer, and the engineer blames the contractor.
2/ Option D incorrectly uses the simple present continuous tense verb "are blaming" to refer to an action that takes place in the current time frame; remember, the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature, and the simple present continuous tense is used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature.

E:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly uses "one another" to refer to two elements; remember, "one another” is used to refer to two elements, and “each other” is used to refer to two elements.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Simple Continuous Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
A - the meaning of the sentence can be construed as 'both' engineer and contractor are trying to blame a third party

B - Correct

C- Wordy and also 'each' is singular. The verb 'blame' should have the singular form.

D - Same reason as A

E - 'one another' is used for more than two entities
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts