GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 14 Jul 2020, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The correct use of WHICH

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
The correct use of WHICH  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 00:09
Crime has recently decreased in our neighborhood, WHICH has led to a rise in property values.

In the sentence above, incorrect usage of WHICH is described as WHICH is used to refer to noun immediately preceding it.

However, is the sentence below, a correct representation?
In our neighborhood, there has been a recent decrease in crime, which has led to a rise in property values.

I am getting confused, as the underlined phrase can be considered as an additive phrase and will turn into a fault statement.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Re: The correct use of WHICH  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 01:03
I understand the grammatical question, but wouldn't it be better to just say "The recent decrease in crime has led to a rise in property values" in this case?
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 07:25
sood1596 wrote:
Crime has recently decreased in our neighborhood, WHICH has led to a rise in property values.

In the sentence above, incorrect usage of WHICH is described as WHICH is used to refer to noun immediately preceding it.

In our neighborhood, there has been a recent decrease in crime, which has led to a rise in property values.

I am getting confused, as the underlined phrase can be considered as an additive phrase and will turn into a fault statement.

Thanks

sood1596
Could you explain how the highlighted part is correct? How 'neighborhood' has led to rise in property values?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 07:32
Hi Asad, the highlighted part is incorrect. I understood that.

But is the bold statement the correct representation?

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 08:26
sood1596 wrote:

Thanks

'crime' has led to a rise in property values? ---no
'decrease' has led to a rise in property values?---no
'a recent decrease in crime' ---->has led to a rise in property values. So, it is better if we use 'adverbial modifier' here in this case.
The better version could be:
In our neighborhood, there has been a recent decrease in crime, leading to a rise in property values.
or,
In our neighborhood, there has been a recent decrease in crime, raising the property values.
It is better to tag some experts here in this case.
Thanks__
Sloan MIT School Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 09:30
sood1596 wrote:

Thanks

Note that which is a relative pronoun so you need an antecedent that must or must not precede immediately before it.
In your proposed sentence

the emphasis is on 'rise in property values'.
In Asad's solution the emphasis shifts to recent decrease in crime as rise in property values becomes a part of a modifier.
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 13:00
Wrong: ... neighbourhood, which led to ...

Okay: ... decrease in crime, which led to ...

Better: ... decrease in crime, leading to ...

Generally:
- Which needs to touch the noun it is modifying

- Which can modify a noun phrase, allowing it to "skip" the nearest noun (aka objects of preposition).

- If you need to modify the verb, Verb-ing / Verb-ed modifiers work better.

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 00:19
sood1596 wrote:

Hi sood1596, unless all other options are also equally bad or worse, I would say that in the above sentence also, which will modify crime, making the sentence non-sensical.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses modifier issues with "which", their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
EducationAisle Online GMAT Classes

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The correct use of WHICH   [#permalink] 25 May 2020, 00:19

The correct use of WHICH

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics