Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618845 [8]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT Date: 10-02-2015
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V155
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Re: The country of Maravia has severe air pollution, 80 percent of which [#permalink]
philmat wrote:
Options C and D look very close. But on close examination, i will Go with option D as The answer.

The argument is that 80% of pollution comes from automobiles, and by increasing the taxes by 20%,people will buy fewer cars, or reduce the use of thier personal car..

Exactly my thought process. However, I slightly differed when I came across the words transportation system for many years in option C. This means the factor of transportation is NOT changing, its a constant.

Also in the passage it says 80 percent of which is caused by the exhaust fumes of cars. Notice fumes of CAR causes pollution. Public transportation consists mainly of trains and buses. You can only consider cars as public transport when they are for e.g. "share taxis".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Re: The country of Maravia has severe air pollution, 80 percent of which [#permalink]
saurabh9gupta wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The country of Maravia has severe air pollution, 80 percent of which is caused by the exhaust fumes of cars. In order to reduce the number of cars on the road, the government is raising taxes on the cost of buying and running a car by 20 percent. This tax increase, therefore, will significantly reduce air pollution in Maravia.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) The government of Maravia is in the process of building a significant number of roadways.
(B) Maravia is an oil-producing country and is able to refine an amount of gasoline sufficient for the needs of its population.
(C) Maravia has had an excellent public transportation system for many years.
(D) Ninety percent of the population of Maravia is very prosperous and has a substantial amount of disposable income.
(E) In Maravia, cars that emit relatively low levels of pollutants cost 10 percent less to operate, on average, than do cars that emit high levels of pollutants.

My thought-
Conclusion - tax increase will reduce the Air pollution
Situation - Weaken
Pre think -
1. Tax increase will not help in reducing the pollution.
a. May be the tax is on new cars and Maravia population drives old cars
b. May be the people will still buy cars because public transport is bad.

Let's see the options
a. Highway increase does not affect the pollution problem.
b.Out of Scope
c. That is good but no link to show that people will use it. Moreover, may be public transport can
d. more disposable income means ready to spend more, may be they will somehow fail the plan.. NOT SURE OF THE LINK
e. This choice remains.

So now, I selected E and marked this choice in 2 min 50 seconds.. I am not sure how E weakens.

I had a similar experience - both D and E weaken to some extent. It is just a decision of which option weakens more:

Option D says that disposable income is enough so increasing prices will not affect the sales of cars.
Option E says that the cars that emit low levels of pollution are anyway cheap. However if people are anyway not buying cheap cars, how will increasing the taxes on some cars make sure that people go for cheap cars?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Do you notice that E is actually not a weakener its a strengthener, If the car proposed in the question

cars that emit relatively low levels of pollutants cost 10 percent less to operate, people will start buying these cars. And if it so happens the pollution should be less than its present value. So the govt, plan works.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
MS1014 wrote:
Do you notice that E is actually not a weakener its a strengthener, If the car proposed in the question

cars that emit relatively low levels of pollutants cost 10 percent less to operate, people will start buying these cars. And if it so happens the pollution should be less than its present value. So the govt, plan works.

I think I can help you with this question, government's plan is to increase tax in order to reduce numbers of cars on the road, hence reducing overall pollution.
E is a completely different plan by adopting a low emission car. You have to stick to the original argument.
Hope it helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
MS1014 wrote:

E is completely irrelevant. You don't know how was the situation before Tax . You have no information after tax implementation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Kudos
OG ans is A but the correct answer is D. If anyone can prove me wrong, let me know.
(A) The government of Maravia is in the process of building a significant number of roadways.
(D) Ninety percent of the population of Maravia is very prosperous and has a substantial amount of disposable income.

OG ans explains for A states new road does not necessarily equates more car usage, they can render unused, while D they suggest people are wealthy hence new tax will have less effect on people.

Both A and D require assumption / inference, however A contains a better assumption than D. It is because: a government's decision to build new roadways would always be based on some level of consultation / demand-supply analysis, as a result it is unlikely to build empty road and waste tax payer's money, time, resource and efforts; note also the phrase "building significant number of roads" - let's say at least some car will be added to the road.

On the other hand one, ans D require assumption of human psychology that if you are wealthy you are less sensitive to tax. This assumption is based plainly on stereotype and can be arbitrary, and I know very well, from my personal experience / studies, that wealthy people are wealthy because they are smart / sensitive about money. elasticity and people's reaction to tax pretty much depends case by case. Hence, unlike ans A that has an assumption that is based on common government practice / logical rationale, ans D is more susceptive to challenge. A is a better argument.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts