Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618840 [15]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [5]
Given Kudos: 500
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: The country of Verovia exports millions of tons of coal each year, mor [#permalink]
Kudos
The country of Verovia exports millions of tons of coal each year, more than any other country in the region. However, the country also imports several hundred thousand tons of coal annually. This imported coal is of the same variety produced domestically. One geographer explained this by pointing out that while most coal is mined in the eastern part of the country, there is demand for coal in several cities on the opposite side of the country, hundreds of kilometers away.

Which of the following would, if true, most help support the geographer's explanation?

A. Verovia's mountainous interior is impassible for most of the year.
B. Gorosco, the third-largest coal producer in the region, borders Verovia to the west.
C. Verovia has an extensive electric power system that depends entirely on coal power.
D. Ojondo, Verovia's neighbor to the south, consumes more than half of Verovia's exports.
E. Verovia's public transportation system uses other forms of energy besides coal.

Hey! GMATNinja , could you please help me through it
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 747 [1]
Given Kudos: 2265
Schools: HBS '22
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GRE 1: Q168 V164
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
The country of Verovia exports millions of tons of coal each year, mor [#permalink]
Kudos
Option 'A' is the correct option.

Option B is a 'trap' option.

In addition to other excellent explanations, another reason option B is incorrect is that third largest may mean it produces less than 1%. Third largest coal mine may produces just 0.0000001% of the country coal output.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
Re: The country of Verovia exports millions of tons of coal each year, mor [#permalink]
IMO B , this is kind of solve the paradox or giving reason for the export and import of the same variety of coal within the same country.

The country of Verovia exports millions of tons of coal each year, more than any other country in the region. However, the country also imports several hundred thousand tons of coal annually. This imported coal is of the same variety produced domestically. One geographer explained this by pointing out that while most coal is mined in the eastern part of the country, there is demand for coal in several cities on the opposite side of the country, hundreds of kilometers away.

Which of the following would, if true, most help support the geographer's explanation?

A. Verovia's mountainous interior is impassible for most of the year. --> out of scope , we dont care much as it does not say if the path form east to west is mountainous.
B. Gorosco, the third-largest coal producer in the region, borders Verovia to the west. --> this explains why its easier to import form a border next to the west side rather than crossing the whole country from east to west.
C. Verovia has an extensive electric power system that depends entirely on coal power. --> we Do not care about this as it says nothing about the geography.
D. Ojondo, Verovia's neighbor to the south, consumes more than half of Verovia's exports. --> talking about a neighbor does not help us to explain the export-import situation
E. Verovia's public transportation system uses other forms of energy besides coal. --> we Do not care about this as it says nothing about the geography.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 284
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '23 (II)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bunuel GMATNinja egmat

Can you please help me understand why B is wrong and A is right?

As per google - impassible means capable of feeling or suffering; susceptible to sensation or emotion & the word we are looking for is impassable.

Whatever the case maybe, I am sure of the intended meaning so my analysis based on that:
I marked A wrong because it says that the interior is impassable for "most part of the year" so it must be passable at some point in the year and since it is imported annually, it is possible that they can get the coal from the East.
I marked B as the right answer because there is a large coal producer on the west border(which is closer than the eastern border since the east is hundreds of kms away) - is this wrong because the producer may or may not be exporting coal?

Please help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Could you please explain how A is the answer? A seems out of scope whereas B provides a viable explanation to the scenario. Since the East and West are separated by hundreds of kilometers, imported coal from a nearby source might be more economical than domestic coal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 668
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
The country of Verovia exports millions of tons of coal each year, mor [#permalink]
Nefertiti9 wrote:
IMO B , this is kind of solve the paradox or giving reason for the export and import of the same variety of coal within the same country.

A. Verovia's mountainous interior is impassible for most of the year. --> out of scope , we dont care much as it does not say if the path form east to west is mountainous.
B. Gorosco, the third-largest coal producer in the region, borders Verovia to the west. --> this explains why its easier to import form a border next to the west side rather than crossing the whole country from east to west.
C. Verovia has an extensive electric power system that depends entirely on coal power. --> we Do not care about this as it says nothing about the geography.
D. Ojondo, Verovia's neighbor to the south, consumes more than half of Verovia's exports. --> talking about a neighbor does not help us to explain the export-import situation
E. Verovia's public transportation system uses other forms of energy besides coal. --> we Do not care about this as it says nothing about the geography.

A is the answer. Coal has to be transported from east to west. It will have to pass from interior of the region which is impassable for most year and so not sufficient for the industries in the west.

B - it is not necessary that the import is from Gorosco. There may me tax issues etc. So does not explain the paradox.

Note - I think there is typo error in the option A. It should be 'IMPASSABLE'.

I hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Schools: Foster
Send PM
GMATNinja
In the option A it only says that country has mountain region but not specify in which part of the country. It could be in south or north. How is A the answer here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Please explain why choice B is incorrect.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
priyanshi1804 wrote:
Please explain why choice B is incorrect.

The clearest reason why (B) is incorrect is that (B) doesn't say that coal is mined in Gorosco closer to the cities in Verovia than coal is mined in Verovia. For all we know, Gorosco is a huge country, and the coal in Gorosco is mined very far from any city in Verovia.

We need at least some kind of comparison of distances for information about Gorosco to support the conclusion about why Verovia imports coal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Thanks for your explanations, I really appreciate it. but I would say that Verbal part of this exam is just "building the case for specific answer". I mean the answer will be as the author wants it to be. This problem is a perfect proof of it. If A is the answer, we have to also assume that mountains are between eastern and western parts. What if mountains are only in the north? You can not say for sure that there are mountains that get in the way. So A is, at best, the best answer in the worst answers.

In the same manner, you can assume that Gorosco, which is to the West of Verovia, produces coal closeby and it is more viable to import from there than go to distant parts of the country. Imagine if Russian guy had to go from St. Petersburgh to Magadan to get coal (please do check on the map), or go to some Estonian city. Even if mountains are in the way, it might still be smart to go 500 Km-s, than 10,000. All I'm trying to say is that I can build cases for B all day, with the same success.

From a test-taker's perspective, it is very disappointing to see such a question on an exam-day, especially when Verbal part is weighted so much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q88 V85 DI84
Send PM
houston1980 wrote:
Option 'A' is the correct option.

Option B is a 'trap' option.

In addition to other excellent explanations, another reason option B is incorrect is that third largest may mean it produces less than 1%. Third largest coal mine may produces just 0.0000001% of the country coal output.

Seems to me the most convincing explanation
Thanks a ton!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts