The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC)
Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 22 Feb 2017, 06:19
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 22

The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2013, 03:34
10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (02:02) correct 57% (00:49) wrong based on 460 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year.

A)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion in last year
B)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year
C)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year
D)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year
E)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year


My doubt :- How can the option without "that" be correct ?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA : C
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 18 Jul 2013, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, renamed the topic.
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1123
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 184

Kudos [?]: 1996 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2013, 03:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gmat2805 wrote:
My doubt :- How can the option without "that" be correct ?

OA : C


The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year.

B)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year
E)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year
B and E suggests that the secretary said 1)that spending could reach 40B 2)that is compared to 20B (said these two different things, so they are not "compared" to each other).

D)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year
A)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion in last year

You can use "say something" without using "that". Example: "the Act says such behavior is an offense" or "I don’t want to say too much" http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/say

Similar Official Question: scientists-say-that-each-of-the-photographs-taken-of-the-64210.html
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 334
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 33

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 04:46
Zarrolou, any idea when that must follow says/said. I struck off options c,d,e simply because of the missing 'that'!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 27

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 08:39
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gmat2805 wrote:
The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year.

A)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion in last year

A is wrong because it's not using spending as a noun. It's describing the action of spending which is wrong.
B)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year same reason as in A
C)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year correct
D)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year "reached in last year" is wrong
E)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year incorrect


My doubt :- How can the option without "that" be correct ?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA : C


Please give me KUDOS if my post has helped you :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 08:49
Eliminate A, because in last year is not idiomatic. Last year suffices.
Eliminate B, because the second "that" is ambiguous. Besides, seldom do we use the full version of "subject be compared with/to". I think we often use the shorter version of "compared with/to".

So the right option definitely won't contain a "that" as its beginning.

Although GMAT always puts "that" after a verb to introduce an objective clause, there may be one or two times when GMAT choose to omit "that" after the verb "say".

Hopes this helps.

gmat2805 wrote:
The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year.

A)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion in last year
B)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year
C)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year
D)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year
E)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year


My doubt :- How can the option without "that" be correct ?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA : C
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2013
Posts: 116
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 10:29
dhler-
you said GMAT often do not use That to compare but you also said answer is definitly without that...

So i do not follow you what you saying...
9 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1153
Location: United States
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 2909 [9] , given: 123

Premium Member
Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 11:31
9
This post received
KUDOS
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED
dhler wrote:
So the right option definitely won't contain a "that" as its beginning.

Although GMAT always puts "that" after a verb to introduce an objective clause, there may be one or two times when GMAT choose to omit "that" after the verb "say".

Hopes this helps.


Hi dhler.

Your answer is correct. This question does not require "that". However, I want to elaborate a bit. (It may help those who are still wondering about "that")

(1) "Say + That" vs "Say + That"

* Optional That
The word that is usually optional when it comes after the following verbs: verb, tell, think, believe

Let see examples:
Erica said that she was coming over after work
--OR--
Erica said she was coming over after work
Both are correct. However, the latter is better because it's more concise.

*Obligatory That
The word that is usually obligatory after the following verbs when introducing another clause: mention, declare, report, state (the most common verb we see on GMAT is "report")

(2) Concision in GMAT

If two sentences are correct in terms of grammars, meaning, GMAT chooses the shorter one.
Back to this question. If A were correct, GMAT would have chosen C (say + that) because C is more concise.

Hope it helps.


Source: Gmat Club Ultimate Grammar
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10622
Followers: 941

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2015, 06:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 315
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 113

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2015, 22:47
Question that tests the minor exception of reporting verbs...

You dont need that when you are using the reporting verb 'say'....

gmat2805 wrote:
The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year.

A)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion in last year
B)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year
C)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year
D)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year
E)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year


My doubt :- How can the option without "that" be correct ?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA : C

_________________

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2015
Posts: 122
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 70

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 07:59
B and E are straight out.

Terribly confused between A C E.

Can anyone why "in" used in options is wrong. Some members have highlighted the word "in". Please explain why you find that wrong.

The official explanation is:-

The goal is simply to compare the amount in 2013 with the amount last year. First, you cannot say “$20 billion in last year” in (A) and (D) as that is illogical and should be “$20 billion last year”.

Is it idiom error to say X amount in Y year ?

PS: I wish in difficult questions also, one impart some other error in options apart from idiom, especially when the idiom is not very common.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2015
Posts: 122
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 70

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 07:59
B and E are straight out.

Terribly confused between A C E.

Can anyone why "in" used in options is wrong. Some members have highlighted the word "in". Please explain why you find that wrong.

The official explanation is:-

The goal is simply to compare the amount in 2013 with the amount last year. First, you cannot say “$20 billion in last year” in (A) and (D) as that is illogical and should be “$20 billion last year”.

Is it idiom error to say X amount in Y year ?

PS: I wish in difficult questions also, one impart some other error in options apart from idiom, especially when the idiom is not very common.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10622
Followers: 941

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 14:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 617

Premium Member
The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2016, 14:26
Hello Moderators
WaterFlowsUp, Abhishek009, mikemcgarry, carcass, daagh, sayantanc2k, Skywalker18, chetan2u, CrackVerbalGMAT, YangYichen, VeritasPrepKarishma and others...
Can someone please elaborate as to why "in last year" is wrong?
I am terribly confused as like others for the above post. i haven't come across and specific law/rule about not using "in" in situation like this question provides.

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 144
Location: China
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 9

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2016, 23:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
manishtank1988 wrote:
Hello Moderators
WaterFlowsUp, Abhishek009, mikemcgarry, carcass, daagh, sayantanc2k, Skywalker18, chetan2u, CrackVerbalGMAT, YangYichen, VeritasPrepKarishma and others...
Can someone please elaborate as to why "in last year" is wrong?
I am terribly confused as like others for the above post. i haven't come across and specific law/rule about not using "in" in situation like this question provides.

Thanks

firstly compare to means metophor compare with means contrast so there left A C and D
secondly last year can be used as adverbial modifier so there's no need to add an preposition "in"here
_________________

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2712
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 392

Kudos [?]: 1748 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 06:41
manishtank1988 wrote:
Hello Moderators
WaterFlowsUp, Abhishek009, mikemcgarry, carcass, daagh, sayantanc2k, Skywalker18, chetan2u, CrackVerbalGMAT, YangYichen, VeritasPrepKarishma and others...
Can someone please elaborate as to why "in last year" is wrong?
I am terribly confused as like others for the above post. i haven't come across and specific law/rule about not using "in" in situation like this question provides.

Thanks



YangYichen has already explained why "in" is not required before "last year". Nonetheless please note that in GMAT it is generally a practice to use "that" for statement in indirect speech - there should have been "that" before "spending" in option C.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 617

Premium Member
The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 07:03
Hello Moderators,
First of all thanks a lot from reply - YangYichen & sayantanc2k
WaterFlowsUp, Abhishek009, mikemcgarry, carcass, daagh, Skywalker18, chetan2u, CrackVerbalGMAT, VeritasPrepKarishma and others...

Can you please elaborate more on [C] ...$40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year.
I get why compared with is correct here. But i am still not able to understand (even thought i see that without in looks better because of concision...) what is the rule through which A and D were eliminated. Can you guys provide a few examples or point to some?
That would really help...

Is there some not so obvious law that governs this, like the law for "optional that" ?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Aug 2015
Posts: 65
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V25
GPA: 3.39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

CAT Tests
Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 07:24
The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year.

A)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion in last year
The 'in' in '$20 Billion in last year' is superfluous.
B)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year
'and that is compared to' is redundant
C)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year
Looks good. Hold it.
D)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year
'reached in' is superfluous.
E)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year
'that is compared to about' is superfluous.

Thus, I chose option C.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 144
Location: China
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 9

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 21:00
manishtank1988 wrote:
Hello Moderators,
First of all thanks a lot from reply - YangYichen & sayantanc2k
WaterFlowsUp, Abhishek009, mikemcgarry, carcass, daagh, Skywalker18, chetan2u, CrackVerbalGMAT, VeritasPrepKarishma and others...

Can you please elaborate more on [C] ...$40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year.
I get why compared with is correct here. But i am still not able to understand (even thought i see that without in looks better because of concision...) what is the rule through which A and D were eliminated. Can you guys provide a few examples or point to some?
That would really help...
Is there some not so obvious law that governs this, like the law for "optional that" ?
Thanks a lot in advance.

D compare with is a prepositional phrase, followed by a noun, but reach is a verb here, u should use a noun+verb to form a sentence, but u can see that the second part is not a complete sentence because there's a ","before it.
A is not right because I've already explained there's no need to add "in" before last year
another reason A should be the same as the underlined part in the stimuli, but the stimuli used "compared to" are you sure the whole question is correctly replicated?
_________________

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 617

Premium Member
The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 19:20
YangYichen wrote:
manishtank1988 wrote:
Hello Moderators,
First of all thanks a lot from reply - YangYichen & sayantanc2k
WaterFlowsUp, Abhishek009, mikemcgarry, carcass, daagh, Skywalker18, chetan2u, CrackVerbalGMAT, VeritasPrepKarishma and others...

Can you please elaborate more on [C] ...$40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year.
I get why compared with is correct here. But i am still not able to understand (even thought i see that without in looks better because of concision...) what is the rule through which A and D were eliminated. Can you guys provide a few examples or point to some?
That would really help...
Is there some not so obvious law that governs this, like the law for "optional that" ?
Thanks a lot in advance.

D compare with is a prepositional phrase, followed by a noun, but reach is a verb here, u should use a noun+verb to form a sentence, but u can see that the second part is not a complete sentence because there's a ","before it.
A is not right because I've already explained there's no need to add "in" before last year
another reason A should be the same as the underlined part in the stimuli, but the stimuli used "compared to" are you sure the whole question is correctly replicated?



Hello YangYichen
and sayantanc2k, WaterFlowsUp, Abhishek009, mikemcgarry, carcass, daagh, Skywalker18, chetan2u, CrackVerbalGMAT, VeritasPrepKarishma and others moderators...

You are correct YangYichen, the option A is messed up. The correct question is:
The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year.
that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year
that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year
spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year <- CORRECT
spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year
spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year

I do see your point YangYichen that "$20 billion in last year" creates illogical meaning as $20B cannot be inside a year. However, if the option would have been "$20B in 2012" ie we used 2012 instead of last year, would it be correct ? Just this phrase not the complete option or question.
Would this be correct: "$20B in 2012" vs "$20B in last year" ?

Finally YangYichen, thanks for responding. I really appreciate your help to clarify my difficulty. Thanks a lot. :thumbup:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 144
Location: China
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 9

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 18:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
manishtank1988 wrote:
YangYichen wrote:
manishtank1988 wrote:
Hello Moderators,
First of all thanks a lot from reply - YangYichen & sayantanc2k
WaterFlowsUp, Abhishek009, mikemcgarry, carcass, daagh, Skywalker18, chetan2u, CrackVerbalGMAT, VeritasPrepKarishma and others...

Can you please elaborate more on [C] ...$40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year.
I get why compared with is correct here. But i am still not able to understand (even thought i see that without in looks better because of concision...) what is the rule through which A and D were eliminated. Can you guys provide a few examples or point to some?
That would really help...
Is there some not so obvious law that governs this, like the law for "optional that" ?
Thanks a lot in advance.

D compare with is a prepositional phrase, followed by a noun, but reach is a verb here, u should use a noun+verb to form a sentence, but u can see that the second part is not a complete sentence because there's a ","before it.
A is not right because I've already explained there's no need to add "in" before last year
another reason A should be the same as the underlined part in the stimuli, but the stimuli used "compared to" are you sure the whole question is correctly replicated?



Hello YangYichen
and sayantanc2k, WaterFlowsUp, Abhishek009, mikemcgarry, carcass, daagh, Skywalker18, chetan2u, CrackVerbalGMAT, VeritasPrepKarishma and others moderators...

You are correct YangYichen, the option A is messed up. The correct question is:
The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year.
that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year
that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year
spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year <- CORRECT
spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year
spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year

I do see your point YangYichen that "$20 billion in last year" creates illogical meaning as $20B cannot be inside a year. However, if the option would have been "$20B in 2012" ie we used 2012 instead of last year, would it be correct ? Just this phrase not the complete option or question.
Would this be correct: "$20B in 2012" vs "$20B in last year" ?

Finally YangYichen, thanks for responding. I really appreciate your help to clarify my difficulty. Thanks a lot. :thumbup:

we should add an "in" before 2012, it's just a custom expression
_________________

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2016, 18:08

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic The Commerce Department announced that the economy hrbiswal 5 23 Feb 2014, 21:46
1 People in this country annually spend more than a billion getgyan 4 05 Oct 2012, 03:46
The Commerce Department announced that the economy grew rishi2377 1 29 Sep 2007, 05:56
4 As measured by the Commerce Department, corporate profits eyunni 9 28 Aug 2007, 10:21
As measured by the Commerce Department, corporate profits vay 3 04 Jul 2007, 09:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.