It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 02:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 9

GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 09:59
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance might lie in how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone.

a) The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance
b) The data being collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but its greatest importance
c)The data collected in the current geological survey is providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance
d)The data collected in the current geological survey provides a strong warning for engineers in consideration of the new dam project, but its greatest importance
e) The data collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project, but the greatest importance

Can some one help me why A) is not wrong? Because I can see pronoun ambiguity in option A) They is referring to data as well as engineers.

Last edited by broall on 11 Sep 2017, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 9

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 35

Schools: Mannheim"19 (S)
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 10:13
dhardubey wrote:
The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance might lie in how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone.

a) The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance
b) The data being collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but its greatest importance
c)The data collected in the current geological survey is providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance
d)The data collected in the current geological survey provides a strong warning for engineers in consideration of the new dam project, but its greatest importance
e) The data collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project, but the greatest importance

Can some one help me why A) is not wrong? Because I can see pronoun ambiguity in option A) They is referring to data as well as engineers.

Hi dhardubey

"data" can be plural or singular depending upon the intended meaning of the sentence and its usage. In this question you need to identify from the non-underlined portion of the sentence whether "data" is used as a singular or a plural noun

if you read carefully the non-underlined portion of the sentence mentions "how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers"

Here "they" is used for "data". hence "data" is plural in this sentence

Option C & D uses singular verb hence incorrect. Option B & E removes the helping verb "are" which is required, hence incorrect

Correct Option A

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [2], given: 9

GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as "they" consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance might lie in how "they" influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone.

Here the two they are referring to engineers and data respectively. isnt it creating pronoun ambiguity?

Kudos [?]: 13 [2], given: 9

Director
Director
P

Schools: Mannheim"19 (S)
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 11:16
dhardubey wrote:
The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as "they" consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance might lie in how "they" influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone.

Here the two they are referring to engineers and data respectively. isnt it creating pronoun ambiguity?

Hi dhardubey

To clearly understand pronoun antecedents, it is helpful to break the sentences into its clauses. here we have two clauses -

Clause 1: "The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project" ----in this clause, antecedent of "they" is engineers

Clause 2: "but their greatest importance might lie in how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone"-----here we have two relative pronouns "their" and "they". as is clear "their" refers to "data" and if you replace "they" with engineers, it will read as "engineers influence the upcoming......" which does not make sense. Hence in the second clause "their" and "they "both refer to "data "only.

Hence no pronoun ambiguity :-)

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 02:42
Hello GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo souvik101990 sayantanc2k,

Although I do know that this is not an official question, I am wondering whether the usage of 'being' is correct in option A.

Just want to check whether the concepts I learned are correct. I would appreciate your help here

Quote:
The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

1. being collected - It is definitely used a modifier here modifying the noun "The Data"
2. It is neither a "Noun" nor a "verb (progressive tense)"
3. GMAT allows only the above two usage forms to be correct

Please correct me if I am wrong

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 06:05
The data is used as plural in sentence since following sentence uses they for data... Hence option A is right

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 49

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GRE 1: 307 Q303 V304
WE: Medicine and Health (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 10:59
thelosthippie wrote:

(A) The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

(B) The data being collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but its greatest importance

(C) The data collected in the current geological survey is providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

(D) The data collected in the current geological survey provides a strong warning for engineers in consideration of the new dam project, but its greatest importance

(E) The data collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project, but the greatest importance

Bumping this question up as I think this is a good example of how 'data' can be used as both, plural as well as singular.

GMAT Club is a good place to talk about everything that is stopping you from becoming what you want to become. (Discretion advised)

Sentecnce Correction Tips https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2015/02/how-to-attack-gmat-sentence-correction-questions-like-a-boss/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 17:34
I am working in IT industry for many years now. And we have always used 'data' as a singular term. Eg - Data your team has given is raw. I do not understand why the answer is not 'D'. Can anyone pls explain

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GRE 1: 307 Q303 V304
WE: Medicine and Health (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 23:01
twister68 wrote:
I am working in IT industry for many years now. And we have always used 'data' as a singular term. Eg - Data your team has given is raw. I do not understand why the answer is not 'D'. Can anyone pls explain

Let me try to address your question :-)

Data, as it comes from Latin, is the plural form of 'datum'. Traditionally the form of verb depended on the sentence these words were used in but today, esp. in non-scientific communications, 'data is used a mass noun. The usage of data has become similar to that of words like information, news, and others. Information - no plural form. news - no plural form (e.g., news - you get one story or multiple - it still is news).

Going back to your query, Data your team has given is raw - used in a strictly non-scientific way and as a mass noun (same way as 'team is here' but it is not just one person). Also, we do have a habit of referring to one or two entries as data points, which kind of allows us to go around without creating a lot of confusion. Needless to say, that is quite colloquial.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

GMAT Club is a good place to talk about everything that is stopping you from becoming what you want to become. (Discretion advised)

Sentecnce Correction Tips https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2015/02/how-to-attack-gmat-sentence-correction-questions-like-a-boss/

The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2017, 23:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 49 posts ] 

The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap