Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
A few things to note:

Technically, data is plural of datum. In academic writing it is almost always treated as plural. It is treated as singular in informal writing but GMAT favors treating it as plural. I do not have my OG12 at hand right now but if you look for references of data, it is used as plural.

Even if you do not know this, the use of "theyinfluence the upcoming" should tell you that data is used in plural form here.

There are many pronouns used here. Antecedent of each pronoun is present in the sentence. The usage clarifies which pronoun refers to data and which refers to engineers.

The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance might lie in how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone.

they - only engineers can consider
their, they - greatest importance will be of data, data will influence the decision

There is no ambiguity in the use of pronouns. The nouns are present and the usage clarifies the antecedent.

• B and D use 'its' for data so they are incorrect.
  • C uses "is providing" for data so it is incorrect.
  • In option (E), "in consideration for the new dam project" is bad diction.
  • Answer is (A)

Here is a note on the use of being in this sentence by Brian:

Quote:
Don't get me wrong - if you eliminate "being" every time you'll be right on well over 90% of SC questions when you do so. But I know there are questions out there where it's used correctly, and they're bound to be among the more difficult since most students know the "being is wrong!" principle. So having that extra moment of caution when, like in this case, you don't like the other answer choices...that's a nice competitive advantage.

"Being" is properly used to express a temporary state. It's often used hideously on the GMAT as a modifier for something that isn't at all temporary:

Being the first man to walk on the moon, Neil Armstrong...

"Being" is wrong there - he wasn't "being" the first man on the moon...that's just who he is.

But you could correctly say:

While being driven to the shuttle launch, Neil Armstrong remarked to his chauffeur that...

Because "being driven" is a temporary state.

So in this question, which clearly denotes the "current geological survey", "being collected" is a temporary state. The data won't always be collected, but currently for a temporary period of time the data are being collected, so "being" is used properly here.

VeritasKarishma thank you for the helpful explanation

Could you also clarify the use of being from the Brian's quote . Particularly, i have problem in understanding "So in this question, which clearly denotes the "current geological survey", "being collected" is a temporary state. The data won't always be collected, but currently for a temporary period of time the data are being collected, so "being" is used properly here."

Is the being used to describe the ongoing action- Data is being collected? I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW IS IT DESCRIBING THE TEMPORARY STATE..please help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin [#permalink]
Kudos
B, C and D have pronoun issue. Being is correct when being +..ed construction is used.
B and D uses its to refer to data. C says Data is providing and in E , the subject should come after the. SO we are left with A and being is used with being +...ed construction. SO A it is.

Data, media, fish etc are plural.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22 (I)
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V30
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 2.6
Send PM
VeritasKarishma

Just wanted to confirm how we can determine where the usage of being is incorrect. Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64904 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatapprentice wrote:
VeritasKarishma

Just wanted to confirm how we can determine where the usage of being is incorrect. Thanks.

Aviral1995, gmatapprentice

Here is a post that discusses the usage of 'being':
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/1 ... s-part-ii/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
aviram wrote:
You can narrow down to A and E pretty easily. Intuitively, I find both a little problematic, but in option A, the use of 'they' to refer the engineers and 'their' to refer to data, followed by 'they' to refer to data and 'those' to refer to engineers is very unclear. That leaves us with answer E, which has a very cumbersome construction (especially the in consideration... part) but can't find anything specifically incorrect with it. My answer by elimination is E. The best way would be to use the antecedents in sentence A, but that isn't amongst the choices.

Good work narrowing the choices down to A vs. E. While A is certainly not ideal, it's better than E for a few reasons. Main ones are:
1) E has less clear meaning - "For engineers in consideration for the new dam project" can also imply these data points are being provided to engineers who are being considered for the new dam project if you read closely. So the meaning is fuzzy and then the focus is not on the actual viability of the project, but the engineers themselves --- likely not the author's intent.
2) The importance - Nothing wrong with that per se but "their importance" is clearer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Kudos
thelosthippie wrote:
The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance might lie in how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone.

This is a very good question. Those who could select the correct answer in the first attempt, take a bow!

While in our day-to-day life we use data as a singular noun, it is actually the plural of datum. However, some experts do consider it as a collective noun, so it may be treated as a singular as well. In case of this ambiguity, we need to seek support from the question stem itself.

Let us analyse the portion that is not underlined: "...might lie in how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone."
the antecedent of "those" is clearly engineers, as evident by the portion itself. We need to find out the antecedent of "they". The statement is "... how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers". Thus, "they does not refer to engineers. Clearly, then, it refers to "data". Thus, in this sentence, the noun "data" has been used as a plural, rather than a collective noun. The same usage must happen throughout the sentence.

Now let us look at the options

Quote:
(A) The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

data - plural. Correct
"their" must have the same antecedent as "they" in the portion not underlined. We determined above that the antecedent of "they" is "data". So, again, data - "their" - plural. Correct. No other visible error. Good to keep for now.

Quote:
(B) The data being collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but its greatest importance

data - its -singular. Incorrect. Reject

Quote:
(C) The data collected in the current geological survey is providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

data - is providing - singular. Incorrect. Reject

Quote:

(D) The data collected in the current geological survey provides a strong warning for engineers in consideration of the new dam project, but its greatest importance

data - provides - singular. Incorrect. Reject

Quote:
(E) The data collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project, but the greatest importance

data - provide. Plural. Correct.
Overall structure seems fine. However, there is one major issue:
it changes the intended meaning: As per the question stem, the data is still being collected. It is present continuous. But this option states that the work of data collection is already over. This error also exists in option (D) & (C), but was overlooked, since they carried clearer subject verb disagreement.

So, the only option with no error whatsoever is (A)

Please do let me know if my approach has any flaw; or if there is any verbal mistake in my explanation. I am going to write my GMAT on 22nd June 2021 :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts