Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [9]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [2]
Given Kudos: 371
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: The decision to ban the use of hands-free mobile phone headsets while [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
kntombat wrote:
AndrewN, I know that D isn't the perfect answer and like Bunuel, the word "some" also made me question the efficacy of this option, could you point why answer A is a better option, it doesn't talk about using hands-free mobile phone headsets and just talks about how the "The functioning of the eyes and the hands is governed by the brain and there is considerable evidence to show that the use of mobile phones distracts the brain." I chose D on these basis that A makes a jump to conclude that using mobiles via hands free headsets is as distracting as using the actual mobile itself while driving and if this jump is fine then shouldn't answer D be right ?

Yes, kntombat, some is a word that warrants caution in a CR or RC question. Some could refer to just two. (I discuss the issue much more in depth in this post.) Would it really undermine the argument if two drivers had crashed while using the hands-free technology? No. You are pursuing a could-be-true line of reasoning instead. Notice, too, how considerable in choice (A) operates. If there is considerable evidence, not just some evidence, that using mobile phones distracts the brain, which governs hand-eye coordination, then using a mobile phone in an automobile is a dangerous action, period, with or without hands-free technology. The linear logic is that the use of mobile phones distracts the brain, and the very argument we are setting out to debunk is based on hands-free technologies allowing for mobile phone use without... distractions. In other words, the earlier claim that mobile phone use while driving is distracting and dangerous appears justified. The brain simply cannot allow the body to perform the way it should when a driver is using a mobile phone.

I hope that helps. Thank you for calling my attention to the question.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: The decision to ban the use of hands-free mobile phone headsets while [#permalink]
Conclusion: Option to drive with hand free phone should be legal, given:
a) mobile phone use - distracting and dangerous
b) But, dangerous because drivers use hands and eyes to operate the phone
because hand free will be hand free, so allow legal.

hmm, well while hand free, will be hand free, what will happen when a call comes, does the driver get distract then ?

POE:

(A) The functioning of the eyes and the hands is governed by the brain and there is considerable evidence to show that the use of mobile phones distracts the brain. - hmm.. so the regular phone is an issue since it distract, does the hand free in any way can distract as well. This choice give out that point of distraction which can be considered dangerous and hence weakens the conclusion by attacking one of the premises.
(B) Most good quality hands-free headsets are expensive which will discourage people from buying them. - cost is not a concern
(C) Just because something is legal does not necessarily mean that it is safe. - ok but too generic
(D) There have been some incidents of road accidents involving drivers who were talking on the mobile phones using hands-free technology while driving at the time of the accident. - be careful with words, such as, "some", "most"; both words mean "not all", so not consistent to opt
(E) There are other technologies available, such as the use of Bluetooth to connect one’s mobile phone to the car’s speaker system, that are much safer than the use of handsfree devices. - Out of scope, we are not discussion "other tech"
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618882 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
dcummins wrote:
The decision to ban the use of hands-free mobile phone headsets while driving is not justified. There is no doubt that mobile phone use while driving is distracting and dangerous. However, it is dangerous because drivers use their hands and eyes to operate the phone, when their full physical attention should be on the road. Hands-free technologies allow for mobile phone use without such distractions, and these options should remain legal.

Which of the following, if true, undermines the argument above?

(A) The functioning of the eyes and the hands is governed by the brain and there is considerable evidence to show that the use of mobile phones distracts the brain.
(B) Most good quality hands-free headsets are expensive which will discourage people from buying them.
(C) Just because something is legal does not necessarily mean that it is safe.
(D) There have been some incidents of road accidents involving drivers who were talking on the mobile phones using hands-free technology while driving at the time of the accident.
(E) There are other technologies available, such as the use of Bluetooth to connect one’s mobile phone to the car’s speaker system, that are much safer than the use of handsfree devices.

Official Explanation

Answer: A

The argument assumes that a driver will be able to use his hands and eyes unhindered if he uses a hands-free headset. A weakens this by suggesting that this will not be the case because the use of mobile phone distracts the brain, that will in turn distract the hands and eyes because the brain controls their functioning.

(A) The correct answer.

(B) The price is outside the scope of the argument. The question is whether the use of hands-free headsets should be allowed at all.

(C) True, but to weaken the argument, we have to show how the use of hands-free headsets is unsafe.

(D) The operative word here is some. There could be other reasons for these accidents as well, such as over-speeding or carelessness of the pedestrians.

(E) The availability of other technologies is outside the scope. The question is whether the use of hands-free headsets is safe or not.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
AndrewN, I know that D isn't the perfect answer and like Bunuel, the word "some" also made me question the efficacy of this option, could you point why answer A is a better option, it doesn't talk about using hands-free mobile phone headsets and just talks about how the "The functioning of the eyes and the hands is governed by the brain and there is considerable evidence to show that the use of mobile phones distracts the brain." I chose D on these basis that A makes a jump to conclude that using mobiles via hands free headsets is as distracting as using the actual mobile itself while driving and if this jump is fine then shouldn't answer D be right ?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts