Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618705 [10]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [4]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [2]
Given Kudos: 100
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [2]
Send PM
Re: The dialogues in the books of the famous Mormon author Orson Scott Car [#permalink]
Kudos
gandalfthegreat wrote:
PyjamaScientist, I chose A.
"Like" is a preposition, which is used to properly compare noun/pronoun, comes before noun/pronoun ("those") here.
How is option A wrong?

Hi gandalfthegreat,
Although I believe that my own explanation above and the GmatClubs' official explanation pretty much sums up all that is here to learn, I will try to shed more light on this for you.

If you strip the sentence to its bones, the meaning that the sentence wants to impart is:
    The dialogues in the books of Mr. Scott have a deep philosophical implication.
The in between part, "like those in his most famous book “Ender’s game”, is an "inessential modifier" (set off by a pair of commas) placed after the opening "noun phrase" to add more information about the "noun phrase" it touches. Whether this inessential modifier should contain "like/such as" depends on the meaning author wants to impart and the logic. You should ask yourself, "Does the author want to present a comparison? Or does the author want to show an example?"
Bunuel wrote:
To cite examples “such as” is used. The words “like” and “as” are used to depict similarity. Here examples are cited, hence “such as” is the correct usage.
In the given sentence, from what I can gather, the author intends to show the examples of the "dialogues", from Mr. Scott's books, that have deep implication, so the correct phrase should be, "such as those in his most famous book “Ender’s game”, here "those" refers to the dialogues in "Ender's game" that are presented as examples of the dialogues that have deep implication. So, "like" in (A) is incorrect because it is used to show a comparison and not to state examples. Thus, even if "like" is followed by a noun in (A), that is not the intended meaning or the purpose of that phrase in the sentence.

This question is a good example of why one should pay attention to the meaning imparted by two "grammatically correct" answer choices. Once, you have identified the meaning difference, the logic will help you in choosing one over other. This is why "sentence correction" is not just the test of one's grammar skills but also of logic and comprehension.

Hope it helps.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618705 [1]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Re: The dialogues in the books of the famous Mormon author Orson Scott Car [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
The dialogues in the books of the famous Mormon author Orson Scott Card, like those in his most famous book “Ender’s game”, often have a deep philosophical implication.

A. like those
B. similar to those
C. including that
D. such as those
E. as those

Project SC Butler

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Fresh Verbal Question From GMAT Club Tests'. Written by sayantanc2k

GMAT Club Tests' Official Explanation

To cite examples “such as” is used. The words “like” and “as” are used to depict similarity. Here examples are cited, hence “such as” is the correct usage.

A. “Like” is used to depict similarity. This option indicates that dialogues similar to those in the book “Ender’s game” (not necessarily the dialogues in the book itself), have a deep philosophical meaning.

B. This option indicates that dialogues similar to those in the book “Ender’s game” (not necessarily the dialogues in the book itself), have a deep philosophical meaning.

C. The singular pronoun “that” wrongly refers to the plural antecedent “dialogues”.
Note: the pronoun “that” can be used to refer to a plural antecedent, when it is used as a relative pronoun in a relative clause modifier (example: Dogs that bark do not bite). However in option C “those” is used to create a new copy of the word “dialogues”, and in such an application using “that” is wrong.

D. Correct. “Such as” is correctly used to cite examples. The plural pronoun “those” refers to the plural noun “dialogues”.

E. “As” is wrongly used with a noun / pronoun - “as” is generally used with a clause. Moreover “as” is used to express similarity - here examples are required to be cited, hence ”as” is wrong.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
EducationAisle wrote:
PyjamaScientist wrote:
EducationAisle Can you provide an OG example to prove this? Because "to not use "like" for stating "examples"" has been an "unbroken rule" so far.

Here goes:

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, to make their companies seem large and more firmly established that they may actually be.

The silver lining is that "like" is in the non-underlined portion. For that reason, I mentioned in my previous post that I have not come across any official question where like vs such as is the only difference between two options.

Incidentally, following is the explanation for #65 of Verbal Review 2nd Edition: "While there has been some disputes over the use of like to mean "for example," this is an acceptable use."

Thank you for pointing out - I do indeed remember that I noticed in some official stuff some years ago that "like" has been used to introduce examples (may not be the one in your post). Nonetheless I also remember taking a note at that time that the introduction of an example using "such as" must be used when the example itself is definitely included in the group for which the example is given: this criterion, as I interpreted, makes "such as" not interchangable with "like".

Hence, for the question above, the "dialogues in his most famous book Ender's Game" is definitely included in "The dialogues in the books of the famous Mormon author Orson Scott Card"; therefore "such as" is better than "like" in this case.

What is your opinion on this perspective?

In the example in your post "renting temporary office space or using answering services" may or may not be included in the "resourceful ways".
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gandalfthegreat wrote:
PyjamaScientist, I chose A.

"Like" is a preposition, which is used to properly compare noun/pronoun, comes before noun/pronoun ("those") here.

How is option A wrong?

Hello gandalfthegreat,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, Option A is incorrect because this sentence is not actually drawing a comparison, rather it is providing examples.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 1297
Concentration: International Business, Economics
GPA: 3
WE:Law (Telecommunications)
Send PM
can anyone here verify my reasoning. D is correct because it shows examples.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
saarthakkhanna04 wrote:

This is a bit iffy Saarthak. The answer choices A and D seem to be completely relying on this purported difference between like and such as.

GMAT actually acknowledges that like can be used to provide examples as well.
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
saarthakkhanna04 wrote:

This is a bit iffy Saarthak. The answer choices A and D seem to be completely relying on this purported difference between like and such as.

GMAT actually acknowledges that like can be used to provide examples as well.

EducationAisle Can you provide an OG example to prove this? Because "to not use "like" for stating "examples"" has been an "unbroken rule" so far.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM