It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 17:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The discovery that Earths inner core rotates independently

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 333 [6], given: 7

WE 1: 4 years in IT
The discovery that Earths inner core rotates independently [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 03:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (01:16) correct 36% (01:37) wrong based on 1970 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The discovery that Earth’s inner core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field.

A. core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field

B. core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of how heat from the inner core flows through the outer planet, and the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field

C. core rotates independently and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers are responsible for advancing studies of how heat from the inner core flows through the outer planet, and how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal of its direction

D. core, rotating independently and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers, are responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet, and the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field

E. core, rotating independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers, is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal of its direction
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 333 [6], given: 7

16 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8323 [16], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)
Re: The discovery that Earths inner core rotates independently [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A somewhat intimidating S-V agreement and parallelism question here
The first clue is that the subject is the discovery, a singular and therefore the main verb will be -is - So eliminate C and D

The discovery is responsible for advancing the studies (1. of the flow of heat 2. of the formation and periodic reversal) Choice A only maintains the prepositional parallelism.
B misses the parallel – of - in the second part.
E distorts the parallelism by stating -of how – in the second part

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8323 [16], given: 366

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 17:58
raghavs wrote:
The discovery that Earth’s inner core rotates independently of and more quickly than
Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner
through the outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s
magnetic field.

A. core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is
responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the
outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s
magnetic field
B. core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is
responsible for advancing studies of how heat from the inner core flows through
the outer planet, and the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s
magnetic field
C. core rotates independently and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers are
the outer planet, and how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal
of its direction
D. core, rotating independently and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers, are
responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the
outer planet, and the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s
magnetic field
E. core, rotating independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers, is
outer planet and of how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal of
its direction

"Independently of" and "quickly" are not parallal but still if A is right than perhaps A is right.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [2], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 20:36
This post received
KUDOS
Points to be noted are -

1) S/V agreement - The discovery that..... IS ( eliminate C and D)
2) || ism - is responsible for advancing studies OF X ... and OF Y ( Eliminate B and E)

A is the rt answer

Kudos Never costs your Pocket ! Give when u feel it worthy :idea:

Kudos [?]: 18 [2], given: 1

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1138 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 20:45
What is the source of this question?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1138 [0], given: 109

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2010, 01:39
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
The first clue is that the subject is the discovery, a singular and therefore the main verb will be -is - So eliminate C and D

The discovery is responsible for advancing the studies (1. of the flow of heat 2. of the formation and periodic reversal) Choice A only maintains the prepositional parallelism.

Couldn't agree with you more on the intimidating part! You tackled this one nicely. Thanks!!

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 0

18 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 606 [18], given: 32

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2010, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Great work, daagh, and I like how you mentioned "intimidating" (and how werewolf agreed). I think that this is a great example of how intimidating problems can be made pretty efficient if you're looking for decision points. When I first looked at this one I scanned and noticed that three choices used "is" and two used "are" - I've just trained myself to notice the singular/plural differences of is/are; it/they; its/their; etc. So right away I could break down the S-V agreement to eliminate C and D.

Then I saw that another major difference as the addition of a modifier in E - I think because, while still thinking S-V agreement, I saw "core rotates" in both A and B but that E used a different construction. Reading the modifier, then, I noticed that it ruined the meaning of the sentence...it's the discovery THAT the core rotates that is responsible... Not "the discovery THAT the core is responsible...". So E was out, and then I could just look at the differences between A and B to find that B violated the parallel structure (and in doing so, left an awkward meaning) and that A was all that was left.

My point is this - train yourself to seek out the commonly-occurring decision points on these SC questions - singular/plural verbs or pronouns should start to jump off the screen at you, and then you can make decisions quickly and in smaller parts. On its own, this is a dense, long sentence with a lot underlined, but if you're paying attention to decision points I think it's a lot more manageable than it looks on the surface. Nice job, guys!

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 606 [18], given: 32

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8323 [3], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2010, 18:11
This post received
KUDOS
I agree in toto; This is the crux of Sentence Correction in GMAT: to be able to eliminate first a good number of choices, through identifying the more visible mistakes and then to go into nuances in the rest to narrow down to the best answer

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8323 [3], given: 366

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2012, 00:42
Is (E) even a complete sentence?
The discovery that <core, [modifier], is responsible ...>
Subject is 'discovery', but there is no verb in (E)!

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 105

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2014, 18:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 348 [1], given: 34

Concentration: Marketing, Technology

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 01:44
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:

@daagh,Brian, Q1) regarding the prepositional parallelism, do we really need an "of" after "and"? Both of you have emphasized on this, so I would like to get this concept straight.

Wouldn't both of below sentences hold correct?
"Discovery is responsible for studies of heat flow and magnetic field".
"Discovery is responsible for studies of heat flow and of magnetic field".

Q2) This highlighted structure in A "the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet" made me leave this choice. Shouldn't there be a qualified noun for the adjective "the inner" in the specified phrase?

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Kudos [?]: 348 [1], given: 34

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 503 [0], given: 197

Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 13:14
Its A.
B- drops second 'of'
C- just too many issues here. Just to quote one- the discovery is singular and hence should not take 'are'
D- again too many issues and same 'are' is wrong verb for singular subject of the discovery
E- parallelism is broken "the flow" should be followed by 'the formation and reversal'

Please contact me for super inexpensive quality private tutoring

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Kudos [?]: 503 [0], given: 197

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 20:47
raghavs wrote:
The discovery that Earth’s inner core rotates independently of and more quickly than
Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner
through the outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s
magnetic field.
magnetic field
the outer planet, and the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s
magnetic field
the outer planet, and how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal
of its direction
magnetic field
E. core, rotating independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers, is
outer planet and of how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal of
its direction

magnetic field -correct prallele and correct use of verb form
the outer planet, and (missing parallelism 'OF') the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s
magnetic field - incorrect
of its direction - are here represents the discovery which is singlular. -incorrect
magnetic field - are here represents the discovery which is singlular. -incorrect
its direction
-- awkward sounding = out

IMO A

-------------------------------------
+1 Kudos if you find this answer helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 298

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 11:05
The discovery that Earth’s inner core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field.

A. core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field

B. core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of how heat from the inner core flows through the outer planet, and the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field

C. core rotates independently and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers are responsible for advancing studies of how heat from the inner core flows through the outer planet, and how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal of its direction

D. core, rotating independently and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers, are responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet, and the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field

E. core, rotating independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers, is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal of its direction

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 298

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1088 [3], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2014, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS

A. core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the
outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field - Correct

B. core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of how heat from the inner core flows through
the outer planet, and the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field

How X and the formation -> are not parallel
,and -> Comma and suggests there are more than three items in the list

C. core rotates independently and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers are responsible for advancing studies of how heat from the inner core flows through
the outer planet, and how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal of its direction
The discovery - are

D. core, rotating independently and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers, are responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the
outer planet, and the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field
The discovery - are

E. core, rotating independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers, is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the
outer planet and of how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal of its direction

This option changes the meaning. The original sentence states that Discovery that Earth's Inner Core independently of and more quickly than Y is responsible.
In this option, The discovery of Earth's inner core is responsible.
"rotating independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers" is a modifier for Inner Core.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1088 [3], given: 548

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2014, 11:07
magnetic field (Correct)

magnetic field
Wrong because of parallelism - missing 'of' after and

of its direction
WRONG - Subject verb error - 'are' does not agree with 'discovery'

magnetic field
Same as (C). Also now the dependent clause starting with 'that' does not have a verb because 'rotating is turned into a verb-ing modifier

its direction
Same sub verb issue as (D)

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 98

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 93

GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 19:50
Hi EducationAisle,

As discussed long back (yes I am preparing again), wrt "10.9. Modifier-clauses ending in preposition are incorrect" of your book, we have "independently of" in the above construction? What am I missing?

Thanks

Middle of nowhere!

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 93

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 14:17
E and C can be eliminated on the basis of pronoun ambiguity also
"Its" in the last sentence can refer to earth or earth's core.

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 21:32
rohitmanglik wrote:
Hi EducationAisle,

As discussed long back (yes I am preparing again), wrt "10.9. Modifier-clauses ending in preposition are incorrect" of your book, we have "independently of" in the above construction? What am I missing?

Hi Rohit, good morning! Section 10.9 of Sentence Correction Nirvana specifically mentions that clauses (especially relative clauses) ending in a preposition, are not preferred on GMAT.

Here, the sentence is:

So, basically the core of the clause that we are discussing is:

Earth’s inner core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers

In other words,

Earth’s inner core rotates independently of Earth’s outer layers.

Hopefully it is easy for you to see that this clause is not ending in a preposition.

Following are few examples from Official sources, where section 10.9 will in fact apply, since all the following have clauses that end in a preposition. Notice that in all these cases below, typically it is the relative clause that is ending in a preposition (hence our recommendation in the book you need to specifically look out for relative clauses ending in a preposition).

In each of the following cases, I have highlighted the incorrect modifier in red, and have also marked the preposition in bold.

GMATPrep (option B):
Because the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations they are aware of, companies conducting consumer taste tests of foods or beverages typically choose numbers such as 697 or 483 to label the products.

OG 13, #83 (option D):
A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come from the incineration of wastes.

OG Verbal Review, #20 (Option D):
Declining values for farm equipment and land, which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season, are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

p.s. I just happened to see this post of yours. Going forward, if you are looking for my specific inputs, request you to PM me.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 14:37
raghavs wrote:

'The discovery' is singular. C and D are out.

A. core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field discovery is responsible for studies OF the flow of heat and OF the formation and reversal. Correct parallelism

B. core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of how heat from the inner core flows through the outer planet, and the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field. discovery is responsible for advancing studies OF how heat , and the formation and periodic reversal. OF is missing in the second part of sentence.

E. core, rotating independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers, is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal of its direction . 'The discovery that earth's inner core is responsible for advancing studies' is not the intended meaning, 'The discovery that earth's inner core rotates is responsible' is the intended meaning

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

Re: The discovery that Earths inner core rotates independently   [#permalink] 24 May 2016, 14:37

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 29 posts ] 

The discovery that Earths inner core rotates independently

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap