It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Getting strong now, I'm so strong now!!!
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 561

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 80

Location: India
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 00:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:27) correct 26% (01:29) wrong based on 98 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges $60 per case for orders of 1 to 5 cases, $50 per case for orders of 6 to 20 cases, and $45 per case for orders of more than 20 cases. If the distributor filled three orders, one for 3 cases of the beverage, one for 11 cases of the beverage, and one for 30 cases of the beverage, what was the total amount the distributor charged for the orders?

(A) $1,960
(B) $2,000
(C) $2,040
(D) $2,080
(E) $2,280
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 80

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1851

Kudos [?]: 2713 [0], given: 193

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 02:44
Answer = (D) $2,080

Cost of 3 cases = 60*3 = 180

Cost of 11 cases = 11*55 = 550

Cost of 30 cases = 30*45 = 1350

Total = 2080
_________________

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Kudos [?]: 2713 [0], given: 193

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2015, 20:00
PareshGmat wrote:
Answer = (D) $2,080

Cost of 3 cases = 60*3 = 180

Cost of 11 cases = 11*55 = 550

Cost of 30 cases = 30*45 = 1350

Total = 2080


You charge $55 for 11 case order. That is wrong, the price is $50 .

I think the right answer is E.

Cost of 3 cases = 60*3 = 180

Cost of 11 cases = 5*60 + 6*50 = 600

Cost of 30 cases = 5*60 + 15*50 + 10*45 = 1500

Total. 2280. Answer . E .

Or (3+5+5)*60 + (6+15)*50 + 10*45 = 2280

Total. 2280. Answer . E .

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Posts: 131

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 68

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2015, 22:27
rombo27 wrote:
PareshGmat wrote:
Answer = (D) $2,080

Cost of 3 cases = 60*3 = 180

Cost of 11 cases = 11*55 = 550

Cost of 30 cases = 30*45 = 1350

Total = 2080


You charge $55 for 11 case order. That is wrong, the price is $50 .

I think the right answer is E.

Cost of 3 cases = 60*3 = 180

Cost of 11 cases = 5*60 + 6*50 = 600

Cost of 30 cases = 5*60 + 15*50 + 10*45 = 1500

Total. 2280. Answer . E .

Or (3+5+5)*60 + (6+15)*50 + 10*45 = 2280

Total. 2280. Answer . E .




Hey Rombo27,

Infact Paresh is correct. 11*55=550 is a typo error but he actually calculated it as 11*50=550. His final answer is correct.

You solved it wrong. point being, you have to look through the wording of the problem.

Note: its said that the dealer filled only 3 orders.

1st set of 3 cases.
2nd set of 11 cases and
3rd set of 30 cases

So you have to calculate as Paresh did.

I couldn't understand how you solved it to get 2280. Were you trying to find the "MAXIMUM" value he charged ???

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 68

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 579

Kudos [?]: 546 [0], given: 75

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 06:38
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges $60 per case for orders of 1 to 5 cases, $50 per case for orders of 6 to 20 cases, and $45 per case for orders of more than 20 cases. If the distributor filled three orders, one for 3 cases of the beverage, one for 11 cases of the beverage, and one for 30 cases of the beverage, what was the total amount the distributor charged for the orders?

(A) $1,960
(B) $2,000
(C) $2,040
(D) $2,080
(E) $2,280



\(= 3*60 + 11*50 + 30*45
= 180 + 550 + 1350
=2080\)
_________________

Thanks,
Lucky

_______________________________________________________
Kindly press the Image to appreciate my post !! :-)

Kudos [?]: 546 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 14:00
Ashishmathew01081987 wrote:
rombo27 wrote:
PareshGmat wrote:
Answer = (D) $2,080


Cost of 3 cases = 60*3 = 180

Cost of 11 cases = 11*55 = 550

Cost of 30 cases = 30*45 = 1350

Total = 2080


You charge $55 for 11 case order. That is wrong, the price is $50 .

I think the right answer is E.

Cost of 3 cases = 60*3 = 180

Cost of 11 cases = 5*60 + 6*50 = 600

Cost of 30 cases = 5*60 + 15*50 + 10*45 = 1500

Total. 2280. Answer . E .

Or (3+5+5)*60 + (6+15)*50 + 10*45 = 2280

Total. 2280. Answer . E .




Hey Rombo27,

Infact Paresh is correct. 11*55=550 is a typo error but he actually calculated it as 11*50=550. His final answer is correct.

You solved it wrong. point being, you have to look through the wording of the problem.

Note: its said that the dealer filled only 3 orders.

1st set of 3 cases.
2nd set of 11 cases and
3rd set of 30 cases

So you have to calculate as Paresh did.

I couldn't understand how you solved it to get 2280. Were you trying to find the "MAXIMUM" value he charged ???


Hi Ashishmathew01081987,

I followed the logic of the tax brackets on a tax return.

Ok for the first order of 3 cases: 3*60 = 180

Consider the second order of 11 cases.
In my logic, he will pay $60 for the first 5 cases and $50 for the cases from 6 to 11 . Total. $600
Consider the third order of 30 cases.
In my logic, he will pay $60 fort the first 5 cases, $50 for the cases from 6 to to 20, and $45 for the cases from 21 to 30 . Total $1500
With this logic I get a total of 2280 (180+600+1500). Answer. E

With your logic an order of 5 cases would cost $300 ($60*5), the same as an order of 6 cases ($50*6). Maybe a buy 5 get 1 free, but...
... most doubtful is that an order of 15 cases would cost $750 ($50*15), while an order of 16 cases would cost $720 ($45*16). ???

I hope you understand my doubts. This is why I still think the right answer is E.
Maybe the wording of the stem is not accurate, but it doesn't make sense to me that an order or 16 cases would cost less than an order of 15 cases.

Let me know what you think. thanks.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 10128

Kudos [?]: 3516 [1], given: 173

Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2015, 00:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi rombo27,

I understand your logic completely. Based on the way the question is written, there is the possibility for "interpretative bias", which is what's happening here. Depending on how you "interpret" the question, two different answers would be considered logical solutions.

The GMAT writers are very specific and careful with how they write questions, so this type of bias is almost non-existent on Test Day. If a question such as this were to show up on the Official Exam, it would likely include something similar to the line "The distributor charges a flat rate per case based on the number of cases ordered...." which would help to eliminate any misinterpretations. The 'intent' of this question is based on that assumption, which is why the correct answer is what it is.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3516 [1], given: 173

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 14:53
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rombo27,

I understand your logic completely. Based on the way the question is written, there is the possibility for "interpretative bias", which is what's happening here. Depending on how you "interpret" the question, two different answers would be considered logical solutions.

The GMAT writers are very specific and careful with how they write questions, so this type of bias is almost non-existent on Test Day. If a question such as this were to show up on the Official Exam, it would likely include something similar to the line "The distributor charges a flat rate per case based on the number of cases ordered...." which would help to eliminate any misinterpretations. The 'intent' of this question is based on that assumption, which is why the correct answer is what it is.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Thank you for your explanation.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 420

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 484

Premium Member
The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 08:43
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges $60 per case for orders of 1 to 5 cases, $50 per case for orders of 6 to 20 cases, and $45 per case for orders of more than 20 cases. If the distributor filled three orders, one for 3 cases of the beverage, one for 11 cases of the beverage, and one for 30 cases of the beverage, what was the total amount the distributor charged for the orders?

(A) $1,960
(B) $2,000
(C) $2,040
(D) $2,080
(E) $2,280


As already mentioned by many people . There is ambiguity in this question.
for 11 cases what would be the charge ?
for the first 5 cases =5* 60= 300
for the 6 to 11 case i.e. 6 cases = 6*50=300

300+300 = 600

or
Would the charge be calculated as :
11 * 50 = 550

Went with the first method and ended up getting E.
_________________

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 484

The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2017, 08:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The distributor of cases of a certain beverage charges

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.