GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Nov 2019, 09:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The doctors' growing success in treating the Acpias

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
The doctors' growing success in treating the Acpias  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 08:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:18) correct 36% (01:11) wrong based on 290 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The doctors' growing success in treating the Acpias Virus and the recently developed vaccine suggest that this disease might not be as virulent as the press initially reported

A) vaccine suggest that this disease might not be as virulent as the press initially reported
b) vaccine suggests that this disease might not be so virulent as the press initially has reported
c) vaccine suggest that this disease might not be as virulent as had been initially reported by the press
d) vaccine, suggesting about this disease that it might not be as virulent as initially reported in the press
e) vaccine, suggesting that this disease might not be as virulent as initially reported to be by the press

Press +1 Kudos if you like this question .

Thanks
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2015, 07:16
The doctors' growing success in treating the Acpias Virus and the recently developed vaccine suggest that this disease might not be as virulent as the press initially reported
as the coloured portion shows, the verb should be plural...

A) vaccine suggest that this disease might not be as virulent as the press initially reported
correct as it is..
b) vaccine suggests that this disease might not be so virulent as the press initially has reported
singular 'suggests' is wrong... also has is not required
c) vaccine suggest that this disease might not be as virulent as had been initially reported by the press
past perfect is not reqd..
d) vaccine, suggesting about this disease that it might not be as virulent as initially reported in the press
"run on " sentences.. awkwardly constructed
e) vaccine, suggesting that this disease might not be as virulent as initially reported to be by the press
same as D
P
Re: The doctors' growing success in treating the Acpias  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 00:45
chetan2u wrote:

correct as it is..
same as D

Hi,

I chose C. Could you please explain why past perfect is not rqd here?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 01:23
KS15 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

correct as it is..
same as D

Hi,

Hi KS15,

We use past perfect ONLY when we have two or more event which occurred in a chronological order in past .
The corporation had suffered from consecutive quarterly losses until it hired a new CEO. in this example we have two events happening "loss to corporation" and the "hiring of new CEO" , clearly corporation had a loss FIRST and then it decided to hire new CEO and so we will use "had suffered" to show 1st event and simple past "hired" for SECOND event.

Also , there is another issue with C , the application of passive voice in option C is not preferred over the active voice in option A .
had been initially reported by the press --option C
as the press initially reported--option A.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,
Lucky

--Kindly +1 Kudos , if you like this post.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 06:41
KS15 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

correct as it is..
same as D

Hi,

hi,

although it does mention initially reported, but does not give any time..
look for words like when, since, during, before etc it could have used 'had' if the sentence were..
The doctors' growing success in treating the Acpias Virus and the recently developed vaccine suggest that this disease might not be as virulent as the press had reported before the doctors' conclave

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 08:21

Correct. X and Y + verb in the plural.
Incorrect. Verb in the singular.
Incorrect. No need of the past perfect (simple present and simple past is enough here).
Incorrect. No main verb!
Incorrect. No main verb!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 10:33
This is a compound subject and so, we need a plural verb. So, “suggests” in B is incorrect.

D and E are not sentences at all, because there is no main verb.

Between A and C, it is obviously about tense and would like to know from an expert in Magoosh, if possible, why simple present is better than past perfect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 06:41
Is this really 700+ question? I would say that 600-700 since we can easily eliminate B,D and E. And C is wrong since we don't need past perfect.
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 01:18
Hi Guys,

I chose C. My reason is: We need passive voice since the subject of the clause after "that" is "this disease". "this disease" cannot report itself. It needs to be reported by the press. And the verb tense between past perfect and simple past is less serious comparing to this.

The doctors' growing success in treating the Acpias Virus and the recently developed vaccine suggest that this disease might not be as virulent as had been initially reported by the press

Please correct my reasoning if I'm wrong.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 05:53
lbbdow wrote:
Hi Guys,

I chose C. My reason is: We need passive voice since the subject of the clause after "that" is "this disease". "this disease" cannot report itself. It needs to be reported by the press. And the verb tense between past perfect and simple past is less serious comparing to this.

The doctors' growing success in treating the Acpias Virus and the recently developed vaccine suggest that this disease might not be as virulent as had been initially reported by the press

Please correct my reasoning if I'm wrong.

Usage of active voice or passive voice is not the issue to differentiate between A and C. Both usages are correct.

Use of active voice in option A is correct - please see the complete structure of option A as below (before omitting the repeated parts from the second element of comparison):

This disease might not be as virulent as the press initially reported (it was).

Nonetheless option C is wrong because of unnecessary usage of past perfect (as Chetan already pointed out above). Since the adverb "initially" already suggests that the reporting occurred beforehand, it is not required to use past perfect.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 23:51
sayantanc2k wrote:
Usage of active voice or passive voice is not the issue to differentiate between A and C. Both usages are correct.

Use of active voice in option A is correct - please see the complete structure of option A as below (before omitting the repeated parts from the second element of comparison):

This disease might not be as virulent as the press initially reported (it was).

Nonetheless option C is wrong because of unnecessary usage of past perfect (as Chetan already pointed out above). Since the adverb "initially" already suggests that the reporting occurred beforehand, it is not required to use past perfect.

Got it, Thanks a lot, sayantanc2k.
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 18:21

Official Explanation:

Split #1a: the missing verb mistake. This sentence has a large compound subject --- everything from the beginning to the word "vaccine" constitutes the subject of the sentence. The "that"-clause, from "that" to the end of the sentence, is what is "suggested" --- the "that"-clause is a substantive clause acting as the direct object of the verb. This sentence has a main subject: it needs a main verb, and this main verb has to happen after the word "vaccine" and before the word "that"! Clearly, the word "suggest"/"suggesting" needs to be in its verb form, "suggest"/"suggests", not in its participle form, "suggesting". Choices (D) & (E) have it in the participle form, so these two commit the famous missing-verb mistake. These two choices are incorrect.

Split 1b: for the three remaining choices that have verbs, we need to look at subject/verb agreement. We have a compound subject --- cutting some of the descriptive fluff, the subject is "The … success … and the …. vaccine." That's a plural subject. This needs a plural verb, "suggest", not the singular verb "suggests." Choice (B) has the singular verb and is incorrect.

Split #2: the comparison. The construction "as virulent as" is perfectly correct. The constructions "so virulent" or "so virulent that" are also perfectly correct. BUT, if you mix these, the construction "so virulent as" is 100% incorrect. Only choice (B) makes this mistake.

Split #3: active vs. passive. Look at how the five choices end, from the second "as" onward:

(A) as the press initially reported

(B) as the press initially has reported

(C) as had been initially reported by the press

(D) as initially reported in the press

(E) as initially reported to be by the press

Choice (A) has active voice and present tense: perfectly correct. Choice (B) has active voice and present perfect tense: also completely acceptable. Choice (C) is past perfect, which is not correct in context, and it is passive rather than active: this is a trainwreck. Choice (D) takes a different tactic, but it's also perfectly acceptable. Choice (E) seems like an entrant for the awkwardness Olympics: it is totally unacceptable.

For all these reasons, choice (A) is the only possible answer.

FAQ: Isn't the subject "the doctor's growing success", which means we should use "suggests" instead of "suggest"?

A: In this sentence, we have a plural subject, which is made up of singular nouns. The words "success" and "vaccine" are both singular nouns, and both of these nouns make up the subject of the sentence. So what the sentence is really saying is:

Two things [(the doctor's success) AND (the vaccine)]"suggest that the disease might not be as virulent as the press initially reported."

So our subject in this sentence is plural, which means we want to use "suggest", not "suggests".

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 22:15
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The doctors' growing success in treating the Acpias   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2019, 22:15

The doctors' growing success in treating the Acpias

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics