GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 06:38

R1 Decisions:

Michigan Ross Chat (US calls are expected today)  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  (Calls expected to start at 7am PST; Applicants from Asia will hear first)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

The Dvorak keyboard requires less finger movement than the ubiquitous

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The Dvorak keyboard requires less finger movement than the ubiquitous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 01:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:44) correct 30% (01:51) wrong based on 427 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Dvorak keyboard requires less finger movement than the ubiquitous QWERTY keyboard. As a result, Dvorak keyboard users are not only able to type more words per minute, but are also less vulnerable to both repetitive stress disorder and carpal tunnel syndrome. Nonetheless, businesses, as well as consumers, have not adopted the Dvorak keyboard. Clearly, if the Dvorak keyboard is to become more widely used, its benefits must be more widely touted.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the author’s conclusion?

A) The initial cost of manufacturing a Dvorak keyboard will be more expensive than that of a QWERTY keyboard.
B) Many who have attempted using a Dvorak keyboard claim that learning the configuration of keys takes weeks
C) Those suffering from repetitive stress injuries often attribute the injuries to multiple factors
D) Businesses that have educated employees on the benefits of the Dvorak keyboard, have found that employees continue to use the QWERTY keyboard
E) Businesses have found that many employees who believe the QWERTY keyboard is responsible for stress-induced injuries are unaware of the Dvorak keyboard.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Current Student
B
Reviews Badge
Re: The Dvorak keyboard requires less finger movement than the ubiquitous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 00:48
As per option D, people who were trained in the DVORAK keyboard continued to use the QWERTY keyboard. This shows that there are factors not discussed which give the QWERTY keyboard thumbs up and more advantages.

Hence D rightly casts doubt on the conclusion that if they DVORAK keyboard was more widely used,it will become touted widely.

Regards,
Dom.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Re: The Dvorak keyboard requires less finger movement than the ubiquitous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 07:01
Although I got the right answer, but I'm still wondering why B is entirely wrong? It does give another reason as to why the QWERTY keyboard is preferred over the other.
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 07:14
Hi,

If B does something then all that it does is that learning the DVORAK keyboard is not so easy, since it takes weeks and not days.

Also being able to learn the usage is completely different from using the keyboard( to such an extent that it is preferred over QWERTY) . Kind of out of context because there is no direct meaning out of it.

I have put my reasoning for D as well in the above post.

Hope its clear?

Regards,
Dom.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2016, 15:04
Even C is a contender because it says reasons for injuries are of other factors not only due to key board, so even the benefits are widely popular will not help to avert the usage of QWERTY keyboard.

Can some one help why C is not the perfect weakener.
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 12:23
Top Contributor
ravikrishna1979 wrote:
Even C is a contender because it says reasons for injuries are of other factors not only due to key board, so even the benefits are widely popular will not help to avert the usage of QWERTY keyboard.

Can some one help why C is not the perfect weakener.

Hi,
    Answer Choice (C) is telling about suffering from repetitive stress injuries,in which Dvorak keyboard users are less vulnerable(than QWERTY Keyboard users).It actually Strengthened the idea that Dvorak keyboard is better than QWERTY keyboard.

Thanks

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 16:46

Official Explanation

This argument, quite specifically, is that: if more people knew about the benefits of the Dvorak keyboard, more people would use it. In other words, it's purely an information problem: people don't use the Dvorak keyboard simply because they don't have the proper information about it.

Choice (D) is the credited answer. If businesses have educated their employees about these benefits, then the people know about them; if people who understand the benefits of the Dvorak keyboard still continuing using the QWERTY keyboard, then information alone is not the issue. Something else is preventing the transition to the Dvorak keyboard. This contradicts the argument, so this is a valid weakener.

Cost is irrelevant to whether employees (people who don't pay for the keyboards!) will use it. Choice (A) is irrelevant and incorrect.

How much time the Dvorak keyboard takes to learn may discourage a few, but presumably the threat of major injuries such as repetitive stress disorder and carpal tunnel syndrome would be enough for most people to overcome a little inertia. Choice (B) is not a particularly powerful weakener, so it is incorrect.

It may be that repetitive stress injuries have multiple causes, but if I had an repetitive stress injury, and I knew the condition was caused by, say, four different things, wouldn't I be motivated to eliminate any one of those four causes? If I found out, by switching keyboards, I could entirely eliminate one possible cause, wouldn't that be a significant inducement to do so? Choice (C) certainly is not a weakener, so it is incorrect.

If some people believe in problems with the QWERTY keyboard, and are unaware of the Dvorak keyboard, then it sounds very much as if a lack of information is the problem. Choice (E) is an extraordinary strengthener for the argument, but we need a weakener. Choice (E) is incorrect.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Dvorak keyboard requires less finger movement than the ubiquitous &nbs [#permalink] 15 Aug 2018, 16:46

The Dvorak keyboard requires less finger movement than the ubiquitous

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap