GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 443
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2013, 06:28
[quote="devinawilliam83"]The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

(A) apart; rather
(B) apart, but rather
(C) apart, but rather that of
(D) apart, but that of
(E) apart; it is that of


CORRECT CONSTRUCTION: The energy source on V2 is not X, but rather Y that uses natural radioactive decay...

The correct construction should be NOT [NOUN] BUT [NOUN]... "That of" is not necessary and is in fact wrong. Thus, (C), (D) and (E) are eliminated.

Semicolon (;) is used to precede an independent clause. "rather a kind of X that uses Y.." is not an independent clause. Thus (A) is wrong

Answer: B
_________________

Impossible is nothing to God.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Posts: 67
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 00:15
the question uses a "not x ...but rather y" type of construction. I am confused that in such a case is "but" acting as a coordinating conjunction i.e. it must be followed by a complete clause . If so please tell me which is the main verb in the clause followed by but i.e." a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power"?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 939
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 01:13
1
Actually it is not just but, but not X but Y.

X is a phrase: a nuclear reactor (,in which atoms are actively broken apart)
Y is also a phrase: rather a kind of nuclear battery (that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power)

I have put the modifiers (relative clauses) in brackets above to make it clear that the actual phrases are a nuclear reactor and a kind of nuclear battery.

In fact, I can't think of any scenario where Not X but Y would have complete clauses in X and Y. Does something come to your mind? Would be interesting to see.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Posts: 67
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 01:48
EducationAisle wrote:
Actually it is not just but, but not X but Y.

X is a phrase: a nuclear reactor (,in which atoms are actively broken apart)
Y is also a phrase: rather a kind of nuclear battery (that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power)

I have put the modifiers (relative clauses) in brackets above to make it clear that the actual phrases are a nuclear reactor and a kind of nuclear battery.

In fact, I can't think of any scenario where Not X but Y would have complete clauses in X and Y. Does something come to your mind? Would be interesting to see.


Thankyou so much Ashish ,that was very useful. So , I can safely conclude that every usage of "but" doesn't necessitate it to be used as a conjunction.
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 939
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 07:47
There is one more thing. It looks from your earlier post that you did realize that this question uses not x ...but rather y type of construction. B, C and D are the three options that use this construct and none of these options uses a clause after but.

Hence the entire debate about whether a clause must be used after but is a moot point for this question; I understand though that your question was perhaps for a larger understanding and not necessarily limited to this question alone.

However, in general, test-takers should in fact develop an eye for seeing what really matters for a question.

The reason I want to highlight this is that students get worked-up on issues that don't matter for a question. This happens very often with questions where students think that a pronoun has ambiguous reference. We suggest students that if the same pronoun ambiguity exists in all 5 options, then move on, because in that case, clearly pronoun ambiguity is not being tested there; the same way as clause after but is not getting tested here: ).
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-25-2013
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jun 2013, 02:00
I read it somewhere that 'but' and 'rather' convey the same contrast so need of clubbing them together, is it ?

I saw a question in OG verbal where the two were clubbed together.The question is there in the attachment :?:
Attachment:
sentence _correction.jpg
sentence _correction.jpg [ 36.2 KiB | Viewed 15175 times ]
.

Originally posted by Countdown on 06 Jun 2013, 23:01.
Last edited by Zarrolou on 07 Jun 2013, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 313
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 23:12
Hi Countdown, I'm not sure where you read that differentiation, but it seems a little oversimplified.

Rather usually implies some kind of comparison, usually that I want this rather than that, as in preference.

But is a much more general term, it generally means some kind of dissidence, but it's definition is broader. (see what I did there?)

This answer is really governed by the "not" on the first line. Voyager 2 is not x, but rather y. This is an idiom that can be expected on the GMAT.

You could also turn the phrase to say something like: It is not x, rather it is y. That's fine too. But rather on it's own (answer choice A) does not make it sufficiently clear that we're still talking about Voyager 2.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
_________________

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-25-2013
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 23:16
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Hi Countdown, I'm not sure where you read that differentiation, but it seems a little oversimplified.

Rather usually implies some kind of comparison, usually that I want this rather than that, as in preference.

But is a much more general term, it generally means some kind of dissidence, but it's definition is broader. (see what I did there?)

This answer is really governed by the "not" on the first line. Voyager 2 is not x, but rather y. This is an idiom that can be expected on the GMAT.

You could also turn the phrase to say something like: It is not x, rather it is y. That's fine too. But rather on it's own (answer choice A) does not make it sufficiently clear that we're still talking about Voyager 2.

Hope this helps!
-Ron



Thanks Ron ,

Your answer does make the difference :)

Countdown
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Posts: 842
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2013, 09:45
1
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Hi Countdown, I'm not sure where you read that differentiation, but it seems a little oversimplified.

Rather usually implies some kind of comparison, usually that I want this rather than that, as in preference.

But is a much more general term, it generally means some kind of dissidence, but it's definition is broader. (see what I did there?)

This answer is really governed by the "not" on the first line. Voyager 2 is not x, but rather y. This is an idiom that can be expected on the GMAT.

You could also turn the phrase to say something like: It is not x, rather it is y. That's fine too. But rather on it's own (answer choice A) does not make it sufficiently clear that we're still talking about Voyager 2.

Hope this helps!
-Ron


Thanks for making it clear, I was thinking that "But" is not required with "rather"...Forgot that its a Idiom. :lol:
NUS Thread Master
User avatar
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
Joined: 14 Jul 2013
Posts: 96
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 07:48
bmwhype2 wrote:
The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.
(A) apart; rather
(B) apart, but rather
(C) apart, but rather that of
(D) apart, but that of
(E) apart: it is that of


The idiom is not X but rather Y. Therefore, ADE are wrong.

Why is B correct instead of C? Is it because it is more concise?


10 seconds
cannot be semicolon , need 2 clause.. there are no 2 clause
rather Y is correct ,then rather that of Y
So B
_________________

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 562
Location: Germany
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2015, 06:31
egmat wrote:
devinawilliam83 wrote:
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

(A) apart; rather
(B) apart, but rather
(C) apart, but rather that of
(D) apart, but that of
(E) apart; it is that of


isnt "a kind of nuclear battery ..." a clause? if yes, why cant i connect the 2 clauses with a semi colon using rather?Please explain


Hi,

The prerequisite for any clause is that it must have a subject and it must have a verb. Presence of SV pair makes a clause, either a dependent or an independent.

This sentence can be divided into following clauses:

The energy source on Voyager 2
is not a nuclear reactor (Independent Clause) (blue = subject, green = verb)

in which atoms are actively broken apart (Dependent clause)

rather a kind of nuclear battery

that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power. (dependent clause)

"rather a kind of nuclear battery" is not a clause because it does not have any verb. Together, this phrase and the last clause build a dependent clause that appears after the semicolon. This is the incorrect sentence structure.

Also note that for every clause, IC or DC, the SV pairs must be independent. The verb of one clause cannot play the role of verb for the subject of another clause.

devinawilliam83 wrote:
Thanks, would the following construction be right?
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; it is a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.?

also, isnt nuclear battery a noun and uses a verb for the sentence post the semi colon in the original question to qualify as a clause

just trying to get my concept clear


The sentence that you have cited is correct. "it" in the beginning of the second IC correctly refers to "The energy source on voyager 2" because they both are placed in the subject position of the ICs. This is from the grammatical standpoint. Logically also "it" refers to the same because the second IC is talking about "nuclear battery" which is a kind of "energy source" only.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Image


I am having problems with the choice B: when we use and, or, but with a comma preceding them (exept x,y and Z) , don't we need a verb after BUT RATHER ? BUT RATHER IS A KIND OF .... noun phrase + THAT (subordinator) is just a fragment. Or when we use BUT with RATHER they must convey some other rules ?

I like to eat, AND I train all day
I like apples and peaches
James and John are .....
_________________

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 345
Location: United States
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2015, 11:03
BrainLab wrote:
egmat wrote:
devinawilliam83 wrote:
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

(A) apart; rather
(B) apart, but rather
(C) apart, but rather that of
(D) apart, but that of
(E) apart; it is that of


isnt "a kind of nuclear battery ..." a clause? if yes, why cant i connect the 2 clauses with a semi colon using rather?Please explain


Hi,

The prerequisite for any clause is that it must have a subject and it must have a verb. Presence of SV pair makes a clause, either a dependent or an independent.

This sentence can be divided into following clauses:

The energy source on Voyager 2
is not a nuclear reactor (Independent Clause) (blue = subject, green = verb)

in which atoms are actively broken apart (Dependent clause)

rather a kind of nuclear battery

that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power. (dependent clause)

"rather a kind of nuclear battery" is not a clause because it does not have any verb. Together, this phrase and the last clause build a dependent clause that appears after the semicolon. This is the incorrect sentence structure.

Also note that for every clause, IC or DC, the SV pairs must be independent. The verb of one clause cannot play the role of verb for the subject of another clause.

devinawilliam83 wrote:
Thanks, would the following construction be right?
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; it is a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.?

also, isnt nuclear battery a noun and uses a verb for the sentence post the semi colon in the original question to qualify as a clause

just trying to get my concept clear


The sentence that you have cited is correct. "it" in the beginning of the second IC correctly refers to "The energy source on voyager 2" because they both are placed in the subject position of the ICs. This is from the grammatical standpoint. Logically also "it" refers to the same because the second IC is talking about "nuclear battery" which is a kind of "energy source" only.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Image


I am having problems with the choice B: when we use and, or, but with a comma preceding them (exept x,y and Z) , don't we need a verb after BUT RATHER ? BUT RATHER IS A KIND OF .... noun phrase + THAT (subordinator) is just a fragment. Or when we use BUT with RATHER they must convey some other rules ?

I like to eat, AND I train all day
I like apples and peaches
James and John are .....


Hi,
I believe your focus is too narrow. First off, most other answer choices have something glaringly incorrect in them. "Kind of" or "that of" have illogical referents (because the predicate is noun itself, without any belonging to or quality of the other nouns). Secondly, "but rather" still follows the idiom "not x but y" even though you could toss it out if there were a more concise answer like "apart, but". Though, there isn't. Finally, not all conjunctions bring together two independent clauses. Some of them do in fact bridge together lists, clauses, and even predicates (as it does in this case). I believe the wording got you pigeonholed, all the while you needed to adjust your analysis on its meaning. Nevertheless, thanks for posting. Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 116
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 18:40
bmwhype2 wrote:
The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.
(A) apart; rather
(B) apart, but rather
(C) apart, but rather that of
(D) apart, but that of
(E) apart: it is that of

I get it that B is right answer, but just want to confirm this for some other question " isn't "but rather" together redundant"
_________________

Feel Free to Press Kudos if you like the way I think :).

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2730
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2015, 05:58
first of all, the correct idiom is not X, but/but rather Y, where X and Y are parallel.

(A) apart; rather

the presence of semi-colon indicates a new clause, however the comparison is not very clear.

(B) apart, but rather
this is the correct answer. this answer choice correctly uses the idiom.

(C) apart, but rather that of
that has no clear antecedent.

(D) apart, but that of
same error as in C
parallelism error.

(E) apart: it is that of
this answer choice introduces a new subject "it". that of is not parallel to "a nuclear reactor".
moreover, it introduces another clause, which is not separated properly.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 539
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 07:27
egmat wrote:
devinawilliam83 wrote:
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

(A) apart; rather
(B) apart, but rather
(C) apart, but rather that of
(D) apart, but that of
(E) apart; it is that of


isnt "a kind of nuclear battery ..." a clause? if yes, why cant i connect the 2 clauses with a semi colon using rather?Please explain


Hi,

The prerequisite for any clause is that it must have a subject and it must have a verb. Presence of SV pair makes a clause, either a dependent or an independent.

This sentence can be divided into following clauses:

The energy source on Voyager 2
is not a nuclear reactor (Independent Clause) (blue = subject, green = verb)

in which atoms are actively broken apart (Dependent clause)

rather a kind of nuclear battery

that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power. (dependent clause)

"rather a kind of nuclear battery" is not a clause because it does not have any verb. Together, this phrase and the last clause build a dependent clause that appears after the semicolon. This is the incorrect sentence structure.

Also note that for every clause, IC or DC, the SV pairs must be independent. The verb of one clause cannot play the role of verb for the subject of another clause.

devinawilliam83 wrote:
Thanks, would the following construction be right?
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; it is a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.?

also, isnt nuclear battery a noun and uses a verb for the sentence post the semi colon in the original question to qualify as a clause

just trying to get my concept clear


The sentence that you have cited is correct. "it" in the beginning of the second IC correctly refers to "The energy source on voyager 2" because they both are placed in the subject position of the ICs. This is from the grammatical standpoint. Logically also "it" refers to the same because the second IC is talking about "nuclear battery" which is a kind of "energy source" only.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Image


Can 'comma + FANBOYS' join an IC and DC?
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor (Independent Clause), but rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.(dependent clause).

Which one of the following is correct?


Not X, but rather Y OR Not X but rather Y
_________________

Hasan Mahmud

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 1
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge
Re: The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 09:51
Hello E-gmat,
I have reviewed the course explanation to this question as well as the replies related to this post. I am confused in answer choice E and I found myself running into the same issues with similar structures. Would you help clarify my thoughts. Here is my analysis.

The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

(A) apart; rather
(B) apart, but rather
(C) apart, but rather that of
(D) apart, but that of
(E) apart; it is that of


The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor,
in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery

that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

two clauses: 1 IC and 1 DC fine, sv pair agree with each clause fine, Error in the sentence is that ; is used to join to IC and after the ; there is not an ID, get it. I understand the Idiom A is not X but rather Y. I understand the commas encoding the modifier , in which atoms are actively broker apart, rather a .... is a modifier and is not part of but clause therefore, making a"IC". All good. But why E is not correct since I have ; and a IC follows.
1. is it ONLY because the contrast is not stated correctly here. Therefore, losing the meaning of the sentence ?
2. Or the lost in the contrast meaning AND the THAT OF words makes this question also incorrect. If so, why ?

I thought , as you mentioned on your explanations. It logically and structurally refers to Energy source and by saying THAT OF is correctly refers to the other energy source which means the Energy source of the nuclear battery which is what the sentence wants to convey a kind of energy source that is used in natural radioactive. so It is that energy source.. that of a kind of nuclear batter..
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2525
Re: The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2016, 09:10
Hi Aris,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

Choice E is incorrect because there is no grammatical or logical antecedent for the pronoun phrase that of. Please note that that the subject pronoun it in the second independent clause in this choice already stands for The energy source on Voyager 2. It is enough to say:

The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor; it is a kind of nuclear battery.

There is absolutely no need for the pronoun phrase that of in Choice E. This is the reason why this choice is incorrect.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 392
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 19:33
1
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

Meaning and analysis:
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor but rather (is ) a kind of nuclear battery
"in which atoms are actively broken apart" -> is a modifier modifying nuclear reactor
that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power -> is a modifier modifying nuclear battery

(A) apart; rather -> rather is a conjunction and cannot be used with a Semi colon. Semi colon joins two Clauses.

(B) apart, but rather -> Correct

(C) apart, but rather that of
Comparing nuclear reactor with "that" of battery. Not sure what is referred by "That"

(D) apart, but that of
Comparing nuclear reactor with "that" of battery. Not sure what is referred by "That"

(E) apart: it is that of
1) Normally, colon is used to provide examples or long fragments in the list. I think, semi colon would have been appropriate
2) Comparing nuclear reactor with "that" of battery. Not sure what is referred by "That"
VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1188
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 00:31
in "but rather" rather is used to intensify "but".
rather is not a conjuction which connect two words of the same kind.

rather than , is , a conjuction.
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2016
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 12:35
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

(A) apart; rather - incorrectly uses a semicolon rather than a coordinating conjunction (but) to connect the coordinate parts
(B) apart, but rather - Not x , but rather Y
(C) apart, but rather that of - that of pronoun issue - has no referent
(D) apart, but that of - that of pronoun issue - has no referent
(E) apart; it is that of - that of pronoun issue - has no referent

Answer B
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Re: The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atom   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2017, 12:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 53 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.