GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 03:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

The expected rise in the price of oil could be a serious

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
The expected rise in the price of oil could be a serious  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Apr 2016, 12:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:20) correct 48% (01:26) wrong based on 753 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The expected rise in the price of oil could be a serious impact to industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility to have an economy free of inflation.

(A) be a serious impact to industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility to have
(B) seriously impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility to have
(C) seriously impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility of having
(D) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility to have
(E) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility of having [/quote]

Originally posted by singh_satya on 22 Jun 2004, 19:40.
Last edited by Abhishek009 on 27 Apr 2016, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: The expected rise in the price of oil could be a serious  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2016, 11:14
badboson wrote:
Can some one please explain this Q in details. Thanks in advance!

hi,
The expected rise in the price of oil could be a serious impact to industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility to have an economy free of inflation.

(A) be a serious impact to industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility to have
"The expected rise in the price of oil " could not itself be a serious impact BUT can HAVE a serious impact..
Parallelism ISSUE

(B) seriously impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility to have
It could seriously impact industrialized .. NOT IT could seriously impact ON industrialized..
changes the meaning by using 'impede' instead of diminish..
impede means delay while diminish means making less

(C) seriously impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility of having
It could seriously impact industrialized .. NOT IT could seriously impact ON industrialized..
changes the meaning by using 'impede' instead of diminish..
impede means delay while diminish means making less

(D) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility to have
Corrects the parallelism issue but changes meaning by using 'impede' instead of diminish

(E) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility of having
CORRECT as it is
E ans

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
PT # 15 SC 5  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2012, 20:38

(E) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility of having

I have two issues related to this question.

1) People say that "impact" cannot be used with "on" if it is a verb, but I looked up the dictionary and found an example that is contradicted to what people say. Ex) Her father's death impacted greatly on her childhood years.

2) Does the word "impede" change the meaning of the sentence?
General Discussion
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2010, 00:04
noboru wrote:
impact on and possibility of appear also in C, so whats wrong with C??
Thanks.

Accorindg to some sources:

A,B,C - incorrect -- Always remember in GMAT --impact should remain a noun; a proposal can have an impact.(The only thing that can be impacted is a wisdom tooth).

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 09:34
Pkit wrote:

(A) be a serious impact to industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility to have ----usage of 'be a serious impact' is wrong grammatically and meaning-wise
(B) seriously impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility to have--'Impact on' can only be used as a Noun,not as a verb.
(C) seriously impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility of having --'Impact on' can only be used as a Noun,not as a verb.
(D) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility to have--parallel, yet 'severely impede' as well as 'possibility too' don't sound right.
(E) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility of having--Best sounding ! Possibility of is preferable over possibility to. It is also adhering to Parallelism.

I believe E is the right answer . Please find my explanation above. Is there an OA for this question ?

Kudo if you like my explanation.

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Re: PT # 15 SC 5  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2012, 12:33
Impede means to obstruct :
diminish means to reduce in value or effect.
You cannot obstruct the possibility of riots.
But,
You can obstruct the riots
on the other hand ::
you cannot diminish the riots
But,
You can diminish the possibility of riots.

So B ,D and C wrong
A wrong because ::
Noun (be a serious impact ) AND verb (severely diminish)
E correct by POE

IMO Correct answer should be ::
Seriously Impact industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility of ...

Please correct me if i am wrong

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2012, 16:29
Hi, there. I'm add my two cents to this discussion. :)

As I read the prompt, two things grated on me --- "a serious impact to . . ." and "the possibility to . . . ." Those are both wrong.

To eybrj2, I would say: I don't know who says that "impact" should not go with "on", but those people are wrong. If the verb "to impact" is going to be followed by a preposition, the preposition "on" is the exact right one. That's the correct idiom.

Another correct idiom is the word "of" following "probability". We speak of a "probability of" something, not a "probability to" something.

Just with those two issues, here are the answer choices:

That leaves (C) and (E). Then we get to that funny word "impede."

First of all, "impede" means to hinder, to put up obstacles in front of. The word "diminish" means to make less.

Probability is an abstract mathematical thing --- ultimately, it's a number. One can make this number more or less, but something is quite bizarre about the idea of impeding a number. It's like being told that a football player tackled the number pi --- it just doesn't make sense.

Furthermore, to "diminish the probability of X" is idiomatic, whereas there's something inherent wrong/awkward/strange about "impede the probability of X."

That means (C) is out also, so (E) is the only choice remaining that is free of all mistakes and awkwardness. Answer = (E)

Does all this make sense?
Here's another SC question with some similar issues.
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1160
When you submit your answer to this question, the following page will have the video explanation. At Magoosh, each one of our 800+ practice GMAT questions has its own video explanation. We offer high quality GMAT prep at a ridiculously low price, and at the moment (until Thursday 3/29) we are having a sale (see the banner at the top of the page, or click the link in my signature.)

Let me know if anyone reading this has any additional questions.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Re: No way  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2012, 16:49
sacmanitin wrote:

no clue ,explaination required !!! thanks

i would go for C here. verb is better than noun. possibility+to verb is unidiomatic expression. so C wins the bill

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: No way  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2012, 06:18
alchemist009 wrote:
sacmanitin wrote:

no clue ,explaination required !!! thanks

i would go for C here. verb is better than noun. possibility+to verb is unidiomatic expression. so C wins the bill

Hi there,

Choice C has three errors:
1. In this choice, "impact" has been used as "verb". It is absolutely ungrammatical to say that "A seriously impact on B." The correct sentence would be: A seriously impact B. Hence, "seriously impact on industrilaized nations" is incorrect.
2. There is difference between "impeded" and "diminish". "impede" means "hinder" and "diminish" means "reduce". These two words cannot be used interchangeably.
3 The idiom "possibility of" is "preferred over "possibility to".

These three errors make Choice C incorrect.

Choice E is the correct answer as the usage of "impact" is correct, "diminish", the word from original choice, is retained, and "possibily of" has been used.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2012, 10:01
Between D and E

D) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility to have ---- impede means to obstruct, hinder , block , The meaning is changed – possibility to have is unidiomatic
(E) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility of having--- diminish means to reduce, the right intent. Possibility of having is idiomatic

So E

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '17

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 07:21
the expected rise in the price of oil could be a serious
impact to industrialized nations and severely diminish
the possibility to have
an economy free of inflation.
(A) be a serious impact to industrialized nations
and severely diminish the possibility to have
(B) seriously impact on industrialized nations and
severely impede the possibility to have
(C) seriously impact on industrialized nations and
severely impede the possibility of having
(D) have a serious impact on industrialized nations
and severely impede the possibility to have
(E) have a serious impact on industrialized nations
and severely diminish the possibility of having

Solution says that correct answer is E. I would request someone to explain how use of having is justified.

Thanks!
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 20:06
kusha25 wrote:
the expected rise in the price of oil could be a serious
impact to industrialized nations and severely diminish
the possibility to have
an economy free of inflation.
(A) be a serious impact to industrialized nations
and severely diminish the possibility to have
(B) seriously impact on industrialized nations and
severely impede the possibility to have
(C) seriously impact on industrialized nations and
severely impede the possibility of having
(D) have a serious impact on industrialized nations
and severely impede the possibility to have
(E) have a serious impact on industrialized nations
and severely diminish the possibility of having

Solution says that correct answer is E. I would request someone to explain how use of having is justified.

Thanks!

We look for a noun after "possibility of ..."
e.g. possibility of an earthquake...

The -ing form of the verb can be used as present participle or as a gerund (looks like a verb but functions as a noun)

Here, 'having ...' works as a gerund and hence the sentence is fine.

Note that "impede" means to hinder or obstruct. How can someone impede the possibility of something? One can decrease the possibility (of say, success) by impeding some action.
Possibility can be increased or decreased, not impeded.

Hence, (E) is correct.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 05:58
shikhar wrote:
Impede means to obstruct :
diminish means to reduce in value or effect.
You cannot obstruct the possibility of riots.
But,
You can obstruct the riots
on the other hand ::
you cannot diminish the riots
But,
You can diminish the possibility of riots.

So B ,D and C wrong
A wrong because ::
Noun (be a serious impact ) AND verb (severely diminish)
E correct by POE

IMO Correct answer should be ::
Seriously Impact industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility of ...

Please correct me if i am wrong

WONDERFULL EXPLANTION.
there are 2 kinds of error on gmat sc, grammar error and meaning error. the first is grammar rules simple to remember. but, the second error is the key to success on sc. to find out meaning error, we use OUR COMMON SENSE OF OUR WORLD. this is the thing less discussed. of course, we have to have a good grammar before finding meaning logicness.

in our world , it make no sense to say: impede possibility. we impede a growth, a car, . this is the place gmat test us. very simple concept we need to know .

we should say, to lessen possibility. to diminish possibility.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 09:40
thangvietnam wrote:
WONDERFULL EXPLANTION.
there are 2 kinds of error on gmat sc, grammar error and meaning error. the first is grammar rules simple to remember. but, the second error is the key to success on sc. to find out meaning error, we use OUR COMMON SENSE OF OUR WORLD. this is the thing less discussed. of course, we have to have a good grammar before finding meaning logicness.

in our world , it make no sense to say: impede possibility. we impede a growth, a car, . this is the place gmat test us. very simple concept we need to know .

we should say, to lessen possibility. to diminish possibility.

Dear thangvietnam
My friend, I will simply add that I believe there are at least six kinds of errors on GMAT SC.
1) Grammar mistakes = B/W violations of clear grammar rules (SVA, verb tense, pronouns, etc.)
2) Logic mistakes = phrasing that are inherently illogical (e.g. "the student taller than everyone in her class.")
3) Changes in meaning = correct in and of itself, but different from the prompt meaning
4) Idiom mistake = wrong combination of words ("able for doing X")
5) Diction mistakes = using a word in the wrong way ("There were less accidents."
6) Rhetorical problems = a rhetorically strong sentence is clear, crisp, direct, and powerful, and it forcefully makes its statement. A rhetorically strong sentence is rambling, weak, unclear, tentative, mealy-mouthed, and unsure of itself.

GMAT SC is hard because you have to keep all these dimensions in mind at once.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 20:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The expected rise in the price of oil could be a serious &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jul 2018, 20:03

The expected rise in the price of oil could be a serious

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap