Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [43]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [15]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: The experience of British business in Iran between the 1860's and the [#permalink]
pepo wrote:
Can someone please explain why, in question 3, answer E is the correct one?

I picked D, but I know is the wrong one, but, at the same time, I don't see the connection between the passage and answer E.

Thanks!

I think below mentioned part of text is enough to qualify choice E over choice D.

However, the relationship between British business and the British government was sufficiently close that many Iranians understandably viewed the oil company and the bank as symbols of a British imperialist policy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools: HBS '18
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Re: The experience of British business in Iran between the 1860's and the [#permalink]
Kudos
JarvisR wrote:
The experience of British business in Iran between the 1860's and the 1970's is one example of the changing importance of British enterprise in Asia as a whole. Before 1914 British business established and dominated Iran's modern industrial and financial sector; in the 1920's this domination began to wane; by the 1960's British enterprise was of little importance in the Iranian economy. While in Japan and India the decline of British business was primarily a function of the rise of strong indigenous business groups, in Iran, by contrast, the government played a large role in both challenging British commercial interests and stimulating locally owned enterprise. Periodic surges of intense Iranian economic nationalism must be understood partly as a reaction to the close relations between British business in Iran and the British government. In retrospect, it is possible to see the uneasy and ambiguous nature of this relationship. It is true that the British Imperial Bank in Iran was never entirely a tool of the British government, and that the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company did not take its orders from the British government, despite the 51 percent government shareholding. However, the relationship between British business and the British government was sufficiently close that many Iranians understandably viewed the oil company and the bank as symbols of a British imperialist policy.

Q1: The primary purpose of the passage is to
A. evaluate a country's solution to a problem
B. describe differing perceptions of a historical event
C. contrast historical events in two countries
D. provide an explanation for a historical phenomenon
E. challenge an accepted explanation for a historical change

Q2:
The passage suggests which of the following about British business in Japan and India as compared to British business in Iran?
A. British business in Japan and India received less support from the British government than did British business in Iran.
B. During the early twentieth century, British business played less of a role in the Japanese and Indian economy than it did in the Iranian economy.
C. The governments of Japan and India played less of a role in the changing status of British business than did the government of Iran.
D. The types of enterprises conducted by the British in Japan and India were significantly different from the enterprises conducted by the British in Iran.
E. British business in Japan and India declined more gradually than did British business in Iran.

Q3:
The author of the passage mentions the British government's shares in the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company most probably in order to
A. demonstrate the British enterprise in Iran was controlled by the British government
B. contrast British-run businesses in Iran with Iranian-run businesses in Iran
C. show how joint British and Iranian enterprises were encouraged by the British government
D. illustrate a point about the financial difficulties faced by British businesses in Asia
E. suggest a reason for Iranians' perception of the role British government played in British busines

An initiative to get official RCs in proper format.
Source:GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE RC

Hi, I got this RC on my exam. The question I got wrong is not on there. The question is:

According to the passage, which of the following is true of the relationship between the British government and the British businesses in Iran?

A) It deteriorated as the Iranian government challenged British commercial interests.
B) It was uneasy because the British government sought to exert control over business decisions
C) It was highly profitable for the government because the government owned such a large share of the industries.
D) It contributed to occasional surges of Iranian economic nationalism
E) It was largely responsible for the creation of Iranian market for British goods before 1914
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
sid13791 take a look at this question .
Attachments

File comment: Matuyy
IMG_4105.JPG
IMG_4105.JPG [ 139.7 KiB | Viewed 25274 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
oasis90 wrote:
JarvisR wrote:
The experience of British business in Iran between the 1860's and the 1970's is one example of the changing importance of British enterprise in Asia as a whole. Before 1914 British business established and dominated Iran's modern industrial and financial sector; in the 1920's this domination began to wane; by the 1960's British enterprise was of little importance in the Iranian economy. While in Japan and India the decline of British business was primarily a function of the rise of strong indigenous business groups, in Iran, by contrast, the government played a large role in both challenging British commercial interests and stimulating locally owned enterprise. Periodic surges of intense Iranian economic nationalism must be understood partly as a reaction to the close relations between British business in Iran and the British government. In retrospect, it is possible to see the uneasy and ambiguous nature of this relationship. It is true that the British Imperial Bank in Iran was never entirely a tool of the British government, and that the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company did not take its orders from the British government, despite the 51 percent government shareholding. However, the relationship between British business and the British government was sufficiently close that many Iranians understandably viewed the oil company and the bank as symbols of a British imperialist policy.

Q1: The primary purpose of the passage is to
A. evaluate a country's solution to a problem
B. describe differing perceptions of a historical event
C. contrast historical events in two countries
D. provide an explanation for a historical phenomenon
E. challenge an accepted explanation for a historical change

Q2:
The passage suggests which of the following about British business in Japan and India as compared to British business in Iran?
A. British business in Japan and India received less support from the British government than did British business in Iran.
B. During the early twentieth century, British business played less of a role in the Japanese and Indian economy than it did in the Iranian economy.
C. The governments of Japan and India played less of a role in the changing status of British business than did the government of Iran.
D. The types of enterprises conducted by the British in Japan and India were significantly different from the enterprises conducted by the British in Iran.
E. British business in Japan and India declined more gradually than did British business in Iran.

Q3:
The author of the passage mentions the British government's shares in the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company most probably in order to
A. demonstrate the British enterprise in Iran was controlled by the British government
B. contrast British-run businesses in Iran with Iranian-run businesses in Iran
C. show how joint British and Iranian enterprises were encouraged by the British government
D. illustrate a point about the financial difficulties faced by British businesses in Asia
E. suggest a reason for Iranians' perception of the role British government played in British busines

An initiative to get official RCs in proper format.
Source:GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE RC

Hi, I got this RC on my exam. The question I got wrong is not on there. The question is:

According to the passage, which of the following is true of the relationship between the British government and the British businesses in Iran?

A) It deteriorated as the Iranian government challenged British commercial interests.
B) It was uneasy because the British government sought to exert control over business decisions
C) It was highly profitable for the government because the government owned such a large share of the industries.
D) It contributed to occasional surges of Iranian economic nationalism
E) It was largely responsible for the creation of Iranian market for British goods before 1914

Oasis90 The answer to this will be D. This can be inferred from this text of the passage :"Periodic surges of intense Iranian economic nationalism must be understood partly as a reaction to the close relations between British business in Iran and the British government". Why A is incorrect ? The relationship between the British government and British businesses did not deteriorate only the British businesses deteriorated after the government challenged British commercial interests.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM