Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any [#permalink]
Can you eliminate E because of a comma splice ? ( tested, it allows them to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depth ....)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mcepeci wrote:
Can you eliminate E because of a comma splice ? ( tested, it allows them to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depth ....)

No. The two clauses are connected by the subordinating conjunction "because." So, there's no comma splice issue.
Send PM
Expert Reply
mcepeci wrote:

Hello mcepeci,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, no; Option E does not feature a comma splice.

The use of "Because" in Option E makes the first clause a dependent clause, so the use of a comma to join it to an independent clause is not incorrect.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
GMATNinja linked to a post (https://gmatclub.com/forum/p2103465) that is no longer available regarding the ambiguity of the "it". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I realize that this question is discussed at nauseum, but I also did not like the use of "it" referring to the subject in a noun phrase. However, it looks like because the "it" is in a comma -ing mod, that this is acceptable.

For instance, if you were to change Choice C to "The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, SO IT CAN hunt..." this would definitely be incorrect because the comma -ing modifier is removed and the "it" cannot logically refer to the elephant seal because of the noun phrase?

Any further clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
woohoo921 wrote:
GMATNinja linked to a post (https://gmatclub.com/forum/p2103465) that is no longer available regarding the ambiguity of the "it". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I realize that this question is discussed at nauseum, but I also did not like the use of "it" referring to the subject in a noun phrase. However, it looks like because the "it" is in a comma -ing mod, that this is acceptable.

For instance, if you were to change Choice C to "The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, SO IT CAN hunt..." this would definitely be incorrect because the comma -ing modifier is removed and the "it" cannot logically refer to the elephant seal because of the noun phrase?

Any further clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Hello woohoo921,

To answer your query, there is no rule stating that a pronoun cannot refer to a noun that is part of a larger noun phrase, so long as there is no ambiguity as to which noun it refers to; so, since "it" cannot refer to "eyes", there is no pronoun error in Option C.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

ExpertsGlobal5
Thank you! To clarify, would "it" still correctly refer to the animal and not the eyes if you said ",so it" instead of "allowing it". I am hoping to understand how the -ing modifier influence the meaning of the sentence vs. if you had ",so it". Thank you again :)
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:

The pronoun reference here would still be fine, as it is in the original choice C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
PurpleDrank3000 wrote:
I'm still not understanding answer choice C. A pronoun can't refer to a noun in a prepositional phrase. Is answer choice C an exception to this rule? "It" is referring to "the elephant seal", but how is this acceptable?

I have the same question. Can someone explain please?

Greetings,
Kevin
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
Send PM
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kevsaf95 wrote:
PurpleDrank3000 wrote:
I'm still not understanding answer choice C. A pronoun can't refer to a noun in a prepositional phrase. Is answer choice C an exception to this rule? "It" is referring to "the elephant seal", but how is this acceptable?

Greetings,
Kevin

There's no such rule. I'm curious, where did you get the idea that that rule exists? Many TTP users have mentioned that "rule" as well.
Send PM
Expert Reply
kevsaf95 wrote:
PurpleDrank3000 wrote:

Greetings,
Kevin

Hello kevsaf95,

To clarify, no such rule exists; pronouns can absolutely refer to nouns that are a part of prepositional phrases.

We suspect you may have become confused with a different rule - that if a modifier acts on a noun phrase that contains a prepositional phrase, the modifier will refer to the main noun of the noun phrase, even if the modifier is closer to the noun of the prepositional phrase.

For example: "The King of England who lost to Cromwell was Charles I."

Here, "who" refers to "King", not to "England".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any [#permalink]
Hi,
Thanks for the explanation

What about the possive nouns? For example, what if the question was like this?:

(C) The elephant seal's eyes seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depths of between 300 and 700 meters.

Would it be ok, too? Or the rule just works with nouns preceded by a preposition?
Pd: which is noun preceded by the preposition in the original sentence? "The eyes" or "the elephant"?

Greetings,
Kevin

egmat wrote:
kevsaf95 wrote:

Greetings,
Kevin

Hello kevsaf95

Although you have gotten amazing responses to your query, I just thought f adding my two cents here as well. :blushing:

A pronoun and a noun modifier can very well refer to a noun preceded by a preposition. The only restriction on a noun preceded by a preposition is that it cannot act as the subject of a clause. That's about it. There is no such limitation on a noun preceded by a preposition when it comes to pronoun reference or modification.

In fact, we must check for the logical modification of a noun modifier with the immediate, preceding noun that can be preceded by a proposition. When the noun modification does not work in this scenario, then only we look for far-away noun modification, in which the noun modifier modifies the head of the noun phrase.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
kevsaf95

Hey Kevin ,

Greetings.

Below is a link to an interesting official question. Give it an honest attempt once before reading my response further.

Question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-she ... l#p1549650

Now that you've solved the question above, I'm sure you've understood why I directed you to it. The following is my answer to your query.

As per the "rules", a pronoun should only refer to and replace a noun. This means, strictly speaking, a pronoun must not refer to a possessive noun.

However, the GMAT is known to have flouted this rule, as in the question above.

So, what's the takeaway? Although the rule is that a pronoun must not refer to a possessive noun, the GMAT is wishy-washy when it comes to pronoun rules. Hence, always keep this and other pronoun ambiguity rules at the bottom of the pecking order. Always look for more deterministic errors and never let this rule be the first reason for eliminating answer choices.

One thing is certain though, the GMAT always relies on LOGIC to resolve pronoun issues. So, if you go by the meaning-based approach, you should be fine.

I hope this helps improve your understanding.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts