Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 581 [54]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: MC, PE, VC
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1139 [4]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [5]
Send PM
Re: The fact that several of the largest senior citizens’ organizations ar [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
The fact that several of the largest senior citizens’ organizations are constituted almost exclusively of middle-class elderly people has led critics to question the seriousness of those organizations’ commitment to speaking out on behalf of the needs of economically disadvantaged elderly people.
Which of the following generalizations, if true, would help to substantiate the criticism implicit in the statement above?
(A) The ideology of an organization tends reflect the traditional political climate of its locale.
(B) The needs of disadvantaged elderly people differ in some ways from those of other disadvantaged groups within contemporary society.
(C) Organized groups are better able to publicize their problems and seek redress than individuals acting alone.
(D) Middle-class elderly people are more likely to join organizations than are economically disadvantaged elderly people.
(E) People usually join organizations whose purpose is to further the economic, political, or social interests of their members.

I am sorry to post the OA in the first post. But it is necessary since I want to discuss about the validity of the OA.

OA is E

I understand that this answer can be selected using POE and is the only relevant answer here BUT still their is flaw in OA.
Here's why:

The organization is for "senior citizens" and though majority of its members are middle class elderly people it is NOT meant only for "middle class elderly people". so when OA says "their members", it includes economically disadvantaged elderly people as well, which does not help substantiate the critique.

Can someone help me understand if I am wrong in the above reasoning?

I think the key here is to understand the question stem.
Which of the following generalizations, if true, would help to substantiate the criticism implicit in the statement above?

so what is the criticism. The organisations are not best represented. They will be best represented if more economically disadvantaged men are its members. Answer choice E best states that generalisation by saying:

People usually join organizations whose purpose is to further the economic, political, or social interests of their members.

Hence E tells us that if an organisation wishes to bring forward issues concerning a certain strata of the society then it may as well be represented by ppl from such a section.

HTH
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: The fact that several of the largest senior citizens’ organizations ar [#permalink]
hibloom wrote:
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
The fact that several of the largest senior citizens’ organizations are constituted almost exclusively of middle-class elderly people has led critics to question the seriousness of those organizations’ commitment to speaking out on behalf of the needs of economically disadvantaged elderly people.
(A) The ideology of an organization tends reflect the traditional political climate of its locale.
(B) The needs of disadvantaged elderly people differ in some ways from those of other disadvantaged groups within contemporary society.
(C) Organized groups are better able to publicize their problems and seek redress than individuals acting alone.
(D) Middle-class elderly people are more likely to join organizations than are economically disadvantaged elderly people.
(E) People usually join organizations whose purpose is to further the economic, political, or social interests of their members.

I am sorry to post the OA in the first post. But it is necessary since I want to discuss about the validity of the OA.

OA is E

I understand that this answer can be selected using POE and is the only relevant answer here BUT still their is flaw in OA.
Here's why:

The organization is for "senior citizens" and though majority of its members are middle class elderly people it is NOT meant only for "middle class elderly people". so when OA says "their members", it includes economically disadvantaged elderly people as well, which does not help substantiate the critique.

I think the key here is to understand the question stem.

so what is the criticism. The organisations are not best represented. They will be best represented if more economically disadvantaged men are its members. Answer choice E best states that generalisation by saying:

People usually join organizations whose purpose is to further the economic, political, or social interests of their members.

Hence E tells us that if an organisation wishes to bring forward issues concerning a certain strata of the society then it may as well be represented by ppl from such a section.

HTH

Hi,

Please correct my understanding here.
I understand that the critics ask this question concerned with seriousness of organisation's commitment or representations in speaking about its middle aged employees.
Therefore, I see this as, the criticism is made since the critics primarily adhere to the fact that organized groups do a better job in getting redressed than individuals, and hence doubts the seriousness of the organisation's involvement in representing its middle aged workers. So, C seems to be this answer.
Pls correct me even if I am miserably wrong :) :( !
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi

Greetings.

Both the choices B and E come very close, but I have a different opinion.

Some of you may not agree, but I feel none of the choices accurately substantiate the criticism. The critics argue that since the membership is almost exclusively middle-class, the organization’s commitment to speak out on behalf of the needs of economically disadvantaged elderly is questionable.

The critics feel that the middle class may not speak out on the needs of the economically disadvantaged people. (I’m leaving out the word elderly since I feel that it does not, in any way, contribute to what we are looking for.)

The premise on which the critics base their argument is: people of class A will not / cannot effectively speak out on the needs of people of class B.

Ideally, the correct choice could have been worded somewhat like this (or better ;):
“People from one particular class of the society cannot / will not effectively speak out for people from another class of society.”

I have a small issue with Choice E (though it comes close) because even if people join organizations to further interests of their members, it may not exclude them from furthering interests of other members. (For instance, John Doe works for educational needs of the Hispanic children; that does not mean he will be uninterested in the educational needs of other races. At least it is not conclusive.). Had the Choice E been worded like,
People usually join organizations whose purpose is to further the economic, political, or social interests of ONLY their members, I would agree.)

Choice B is fair but weak. The critics are not arguing whether the needs of a certain class are different from or similar to other groups in the society. Isn’t it likely that even the needs of two classes are different, the steps taken to benefit one class may spill over and spread benefits for other classes in the same proportion – like a win-win situation?

As an afterthought, choice B is appropriate for a question like, “Which of the following is the assumption upon which the critics rest their case?”

Anyway, since our task is to select from the one of the options (and not add one :), I would rather E.

I wrote quite a lot; did I make sense? :-D

Mayank
(1st post here)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hello raghupara,
Your understanding of the question is a bit faulty. The critics arr concerned since the organizations are comprised of exclusively of middle class elderly people. Due to this they fear that the economically disadvantaged elderly people might not be represented by these organizations.

Now, the questions asks us to choose an option that could substantiate this criticism.

E highlights that people joining organizations generally tend to represent their own people. This leads us to conclude that economically disadvantaged elderly people might not be represented or benefited by these organizations since middle class elderly people would aim at working towards improvement of their people through these organizations.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further clarifications.

raghupara wrote:

Hi,

Please correct my understanding here.
I understand that the critics ask this question concerned with seriousness of organisation's commitment or representations in speaking about its middle aged employees.
Therefore, I see this as, the criticism is made since the critics primarily adhere to the fact that organized groups do a better job in getting redressed than individuals, and hence doubts the seriousness of the organisation's involvement in representing its middle aged workers. So, C seems to be this answer.
Pls correct me even if I am miserably wrong :) :( !
Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I think it should be E as rest of the options don't actually relate to the criticism or are against it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
I didnt understand the question.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
prags1989 wrote:
I didnt understand the question.

This is an interesting passage and so are the given options...

The stimulus states...

X (belonging to an economic class Y) formed an organisation for Y'
Critics : Questioning the seriousness of the Organisation as most of the members of the Org belongs to economic class Y and not Y'

Prethinking assumptions :

1. People of economic class Y can not empathesize / help the needs of economic class Y' , since the members do not themselves belong to the economic class Y'
2. People of Economic class Y' needs the economic support of Y for their upliftment.
3. People of Economic class Y' can not themselves form an association due to their economic conditions that will cater to their needs.

Hope this helps....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
It is between b and e...

B says that the needs of the disadvantaged elderly people differ in “some ways”(not entirely) from the needs of the other groups.. This also means that in general they could be similar, if not same.. a few people feel that this option could be/should be an assumption, but it isn’t as explained above.

Option e is basically saying that the people join these so called ngos or organisations or whatever whose purpose, in general, is to further the economic, political, or social interests of all of their members, regardless of their members’ class/age..these organisations, as per the passage, are “almost” exclusively constituted of middle class elderly people.. let’s say there are 100 members— 90 are middle class elderly people and 10 are economically disadvantaged elderly people..... this clearly indicates that the people’s criticism is fair considering what the goal of these organisations is ie to speak for all it’s members not the most of its members..

E is the correct answer

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
Send PM
VeritasKarishma
can you please share your thoughts on this one ?

The question stem says "...organizations are constituted almost exclusively of middle-class elderly people..." and then Option E says "People usually join organizations whose purpose is to further the economic, political, or social interests of their members. "

Now my question is "their members" in E refers to middle-class elderly people, and if that's true why would critics question the commitment of such orgs. ?

Or does "their members" refer to the members these organizations are supposed to have.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:

OA is E

Here's why:

Several senior citizens’ orgs are constituted almost exclusively of middle-class elderly people.
These orgs are committed to speaking out on behalf of the needs of economically disadvantaged elderly people.

Conclusion: The orgs are not serious in their commitment.

The criticism in the statement above is that the orgs are not serious in their commitment. What would help strengthen this criticism? Their commitment is to speak up on behalf of economically disadvantaged people but they are made up of mostly middle class. Which option will support the criticism?

Irrelevant. The constitution of the org is under question.

Doesn't support the criticism.

Should be a point in support of the org.

If this is true, the organisation's constitution reflects it. Why does the author say that the org is not serious about its commitment then?

This says that people usually join those orgs whose purpose is to help their members. So if an org's purpose is to help
economically disadvantaged elderly, the economically disadvantaged elderly would join it. But several of the largest orgs for elderly do not have economically disadvantaged elderly. So do these orgs really have the purpose of helping speak on behalf of economically disadvantaged elderly? Seems doubtful. These orgs must not be serious abt their commitment towards the economically disadvantaged elderly, else the economically disadvantaged elderly would have joined the orgs.
This supports the author's criticism of the orgs' purpose based on the constitution of the orgs.

Answer (E)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Re: The fact that several of the largest senior citizens organizations ar [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The fact that several of the largest senior citizens organizations ar [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts