It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The fact that superior service can generate a competitive

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 358

Kudos [?]: 376 [0], given: 0

The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2008, 05:38
12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

66% (01:40) correct 34% (01:42) wrong based on 390

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

38% (00:56) correct 62% (00:37) wrong based on 386

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

44% (00:58) correct 56% (01:01) wrong based on 352

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

42% (01:08) correct 58% (00:47) wrong based on 331

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

67% (00:46) correct 33% (00:28) wrong based on 316

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

64% (01:07) correct 36% (00:55) wrong based on 315

HideShow timer Statistics

Practice Passage
Passage No.: 10
Questions: 50 to 55
Page: 40, 41
Difficulty:


The fact that superior service can generate a competitive advantage for a company does not mean that every attempt at improving service will create such an advantage. Investments in service, like those in production and distribution, must be balanced against other types of investments on the basis of direct, tangible benefits such as cost reduction and increased revenues. If a company is already effectively on a par with its competitors because it provides service that avoids a damaging reputation and keeps customers from leaving at an unacceptable rate, then investment in higher service levels may be wasted, since service is a deciding factor for customers only in extreme situations.

This truth was not apparent to managers of one regional bank, which failed to improve its competitive position despite its investment in reducing the time a customer had to wait for a teller. The bank managers did not recognize the level of customer inertia in the consumer banking industry that arises from the inconvenience of switching banks. Nor did they analyze their service improvement to determine whether it would attract new customers by producing a new standard of service that would excite customers or by proving difficult for competitors to copy. The only merit of the improvement was that it could easily be described to customers.
Q1 :- The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) contrast possible outcomes of a type of business investment
(B) suggest more careful evaluation of a type of business investment
(C) illustrate various ways in which a type of business investment could fail to enhance revenues
(D) trace the general problems of a company to a certain type of business investment
(E) criticize the way in which managers tend to analyze the costs and benefits of business investments

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B


Q2 :- According to the passage, investments in service are comparable to investments in production and distribution in terms of the

(A) tangibility of the benefits that they tend to confer
(B) increased revenues that they ultimately produce
(C) basis on which they need to be weighed
(D) insufficient analysis that managers devote to them
(E) degree of competitive advantage that they are likely to provide

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C


Q3 :- The passage suggests which of the following about service provided by the regional bank prior to its investment in enhancing that service?

(A) It enabled the bank to retain customers at an acceptable rate
(B) It threatened to weaken the bank’s competitive position with respect to other regional banks
(C) It had already been improved after having caused damage to the bank’s reputation in the past.
(D) It was slightly superior to that of the bank’s regional competitors.
(E) It needed to be improved to attain parity with the service provided by competing banks.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A


Q4 :- The passage suggests that bank managers failed to consider whether or not the service improvement mentioned in lines 18-20

(A) was too complicated to be easily described to prospective customers
(B) made a measurable change in the experiences of customers in the bank’s offices
(C) could be sustained if the number of customers increased significantly
(D) was an innovation that competing banks could have imitated
(E) was adequate to bring the bank’s general level of service to a level that was comparable with that of its competitors

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D


Q5 :- The discussion of the regional bank (line 13-24) serves which of the following functions within the passage as a whole?

(A) It describes an exceptional case in which investment in service actually failed to produce a competitive advantage.
(B) It illustrates the pitfalls of choosing to invest in service at a time when investment is needed more urgently in another area.
(C) It demonstrates the kind of analysis that managers apply when they choose one kind of service investment over another
(D) It supports the argument that investments in certain aspects of service are more advantageous than investments in other aspects of service.
(E) It provides an example of the point about investment in service made in the first paragraph.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E


Q6 :- The author uses the word “only” in line 23 most likely in order to
(A) highlight the oddity of the service improvement
(B) emphasize the relatively low value of the investment in service improvement
(C) distinguish the primary attribute of the service improvement from secondary attributes
(D) single out a certain merit of the service improvement from other merits
(E) point out the limited duration of the actual service improvement

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #1 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #2 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #3 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #4 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #5 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #6 OA

Last edited by Narenn on 02 Oct 2013, 11:40, edited 2 times in total.
Necessary Corrections for Official Guide Verbal Review 2nd Edition Project

Kudos [?]: 376 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Source: OG The fact that superior service can generate a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2011, 23:56
Source: OG

The fact that superior service can generate a competitive
advantage for a company does not mean that every attempt
at improving service will create such an advantage. Investments
in service, like those in production and distribution,
must be balanced against other types of investments on the
basis of direct, tangible benefits such as cost reduction and
increased revenues. If a company is already effectively on a
par with its competitors because it provides service that
avoids a damaging reputation and keeps customers from
leaving at an unacceptable rate, then investment in higher
service levels may be wasted, since service is a deciding
factor for customers only in extreme situations.

This truth was not apparent to managers of one regional
bank, which failed to improve its competitive position
despite its investment in reducing the time a customer had
to wait for a teller. The bank managers did not recognize
the level of customer inertia in the consumer banking
industry that arises from the inconvenience of switching
banks. Nor did they analyze their service improvement to
determine whether it would attract new customers by producing
a new standard of service that would excite customers
or by proving difficult for competitors to copy. The
only merit of the improvement was that it could easily be
described to customers.

Can we discuss what does 'only merit' means here. I will post the questions afterwards. Lets just share our views.

thanks
Patanjali

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1964

Kudos [?]: 2051 [0], given: 376

Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2011, 01:01
patanjali wrote:
Source: OG

The fact that superior service can generate a competitive
advantage for a company does not mean that every attempt
at improving service will create such an advantage. Investments
in service, like those in production and distribution,
must be balanced against other types of investments on the
basis of direct, tangible benefits such as cost reduction and
increased revenues. If a company is already effectively on a
par with its competitors because it provides service that
avoids a damaging reputation and keeps customers from
leaving at an unacceptable rate, then investment in higher
service levels may be wasted, since service is a deciding
factor for customers only in extreme situations.

This truth was not apparent to managers of one regional
bank, which failed to improve its competitive position
despite its investment in reducing the time a customer had
to wait for a teller. The bank managers did not recognize
the level of customer inertia in the consumer banking
industry that arises from the inconvenience of switching
banks. Nor did they analyze their service improvement to
determine whether it would attract new customers by producing
a new standard of service that would excite customers
or by proving difficult for competitors to copy. The
only merit of the improvement was that it could easily be
described to customers.

Can we discuss what does 'only merit' means here. I will post the questions afterwards. Lets just share our views.

thanks
Patanjali


"Only merit" is the "only advantage" or "sole plus point" that came out of the improvement in standard of service by reducing the amount of time a customer has to wait for the teller.

Merit: The customers could be explained easily that they wouldn't have to wait long anymore to see the teller.
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2051 [0], given: 376

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2011, 14:14
fluke wrote:
patanjali wrote:
Source: OG

The fact that superior service can generate a competitive
advantage for a company does not mean that every attempt
at improving service will create such an advantage. Investments
in service, like those in production and distribution,
must be balanced against other types of investments on the
basis of direct, tangible benefits such as cost reduction and
increased revenues. If a company is already effectively on a
par with its competitors because it provides service that
avoids a damaging reputation and keeps customers from
leaving at an unacceptable rate, then investment in higher
service levels may be wasted, since service is a deciding
factor for customers only in extreme situations.

This truth was not apparent to managers of one regional
bank, which failed to improve its competitive position
despite its investment in reducing the time a customer had
to wait for a teller. The bank managers did not recognize
the level of customer inertia in the consumer banking
industry that arises from the inconvenience of switching
banks. Nor did they analyze their service improvement to
determine whether it would attract new customers by producing
a new standard of service that would excite customers
or by proving difficult for competitors to copy. The
only merit of the improvement was that it could easily be
described to customers.

Can we discuss what does 'only merit' means here. I will post the questions afterwards. Lets just share our views.

thanks
Patanjali


"Only merit" is the "only advantage" or "sole plus point" that came out of the improvement in standard of service by reducing the amount of time a customer has to wait for the teller.

Merit: The customers could be explained easily that they wouldn't have to wait long anymore to see the teller.


Lets try this:

The author uses the word “only” in line 23 most likely in order to
(A) highlight the oddity of the service improvement
(B) emphasize the relatively low value of the investment in service improvement
(C) distinguish the primary attribute of the service improvement from secondary attributes
(D) single out a certain merit of the service improvement from other merits
(E) point out the limited duration of the actual service improvement

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA - B
- Pls explain how does the OA fit in our interpretation of 'only' that you suggested before reading the question/option.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1964

Kudos [?]: 2051 [0], given: 376

Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2011, 15:16
patanjali wrote:
Lets try this:

The author uses the word “only” in line 23 most likely in order to
(A) highlight the oddity of the service improvement
(B) emphasize the relatively low value of the investment in service improvement
(C) distinguish the primary attribute of the service improvement from secondary attributes
(D) single out a certain merit of the service improvement from other merits
(E) point out the limited duration of the actual service improvement

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA - B
- Pls explain how does the OA fit in our interpretation of 'only' that you suggested before reading the question/option.


I don't understand what you are trying to convey. OA is making perfect sense. My answer before was just to convey literal meaning of the word "only". I didn't answer the question from the perspective of author's tone while using the word "only". Furthermore, rest all of the options are not correct.
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2051 [0], given: 376

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 624

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 51

Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2011, 03:19
actually this can be interpreted in 2 ways.

1. the value of investment was low i.e. the resources allocated(input) for the investment were less.

2. the output generated by the investment was low, which is stated in B
_________________

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 51

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 234

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 16

Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2011, 08:45
I got B as the best answer. I first got confued with D, which is single out the certain merit, but then i read the entire line corretly and noticed that i not singling out the merits from other merits of customer improvement as there are no other merits mention in the passage.

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 16

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 458

Kudos [?]: 540 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2013, 21:28
The author uses the word “only” in line 23 most likely in order to
(A) highlight the oddity of the service improvement
(B) emphasize the relatively low value of the investment in service improvement
(C) distinguish the primary attribute of the service improvement from secondary attributes
(D) single out a certain merit of the service improvement from other merits
(E) point out the limited duration of the actual service improvement

First of, you will notice that when the author mentioned the ONLY MERIT comment, he/she was explaining why the approach failed and that the author should have considered factors such as: (1) Will it attract new customers? and (2) Will it be easily imitated by competitors? Then sarcastically goes to say its only merit. To me, it conveyed a meaning that the author finds little value to the approach sought by the failed bank approach.

A. It's not odd.
B. This is the answer:
C. There are not primary/ secondary attributes discussed.
D. This is a trap. It did mention that but its for the purpose that when linked to the previous sentences show how little the approach has accomplished. B is better.
E. No such duration mentioned.

Answer: B

By tone and by structure, the author is pointing out how little helpful the approach was.
_________________

Impossible is nothing to God.

Kudos [?]: 540 [0], given: 11

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 412

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 34

Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 15:30
For Q 3, first of all tell what is the answer, and then explain where in passage specifically should I go to search out the answer?
For Q 4, please explain why not B?
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 34

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1978

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2013, 15:34
Actually found the OA's guys

Here they are:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
BCADEB

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 288

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 242

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2014, 08:37
Q3 :- The passage suggests which of the following about service provided by the regional bank prior to its investment in enhancing that service?

(A) It enabled the bank to retain customers at an acceptable rate
(B) It threatened to weaken the bank’s competitive position with respect to other regional banks
(C) It had already been improved after having caused damage to the bank’s reputation in the past.
(D) It was slightly superior to that of the bank’s regional competitors.
(E) It needed to be improved to attain parity with the service provided by competing banks.

Where is A mention in the passage?
It just says the service was easy to describe to the customers...

Q6 :- The author uses the word “only” in line 23 most likely in order to
(A) highlight the oddity of the service improvement
(B) emphasize the relatively low value of the investment in service improvement
(C) distinguish the primary attribute of the service improvement from secondary attributes
(D) single out a certain merit of the service improvement from other merits
(E) point out the limited duration of the actual service improvement

Again, where is it mentioned that the investment was low?
Experts Please comment

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 242

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Posts: 80

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 42

Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2014, 04:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
I'll give a shot at attempting to explain the answers.

1) C is incorrect because the passage illustrates only ONE WAY in which the investment has failed to generate increased revenues. That leaves B is the correct answer

2) C is the correct answer. Second line of passage. Straightforward.

3) "The bank managers did not recognize the level of customer inertia in the consumer banking industry that arises from the inconvenience of switching banks."
From this statement we can infer that although existing service was inferior to the new service, but the disadvantage in the existing system was not a strong enough motivation for customers to make them consider switching to competitors. So A can be somewhat concluded and is the correct answer as every other option is 100% incorrect.

4) "Nor did they analyze their service improvement to determine whether it would attract new customers by producing a new standard of service that would excite customers or"
B can be concluded to be the correct answer from this statement.

"by proving difficult for competitors to copy"
D can be inferred to be the correct on the basis of this statement.

So In my opinion both B and D can be the correct answers.

5)E is the correct answer. Para 1 talks about reasons why sometimes investment in better services does not yield increased revenues and para 2 gives an example of such a situation.

6) in Para 2 author goes at length to describe various flaws in the decision to make a new investment and closes the passage with a merit of the new investment. Here "only" is used to highlight the difference between the "value of merit" to the "value of demerits"( ability to easily explain to customer is a relatively miniscule advantage when compared to disadvantage of inability of new service to attract new customers). So option B is correct

Option B uses a phrase " relatively low value of the investment", here the word "value" does not refer to the actual MONETARY VALUE of the investment but to the VALUE ADDITION that is brought out due to investment.

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 42

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 75

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2015, 20:01
I got the second question wrong. The passage says: Investments in service, like those in production and distribution, must be balanced against other types of investments on the basis of direct, tangible benefits such as cost reduction and increased revenues.

The question is: According to the passage, investments in service are comparable to investments in production and distribution in terms of the?

So, why can't A be correct? It says: tangibility of the benefits that they tend to confer.

I am not saying C is incorrect; my question is more about why A is not.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Math Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1272

Kudos [?]: 2311 [0], given: 178

Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 01:24
saumya12 wrote:
I got the second question wrong. The passage says: Investments in service, like those in production and distribution, must be balanced against other types of investments on the basis of direct, tangible benefits such as cost reduction and increased revenues.

The question is: According to the passage, investments in service are comparable to investments in production and distribution in terms of the?

So, why can't A be correct? It says: tangibility of the benefits that they tend to confer.

I am not saying C is incorrect; my question is more about why A is not.


I think "tangible benefits" can be very different, for example customers start smiling because of new level of service - it's tangible benefit: we can see it, but this benefit shouldn't be taken into account when we make decision about investment. So "tangibility of benefits" can't be a factor in decision about investment. According to the passage only money should be a factor, money is tangible too, but its tangibility is not a focus.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2311 [0], given: 178

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 75

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 07:13
Harley1980 wrote:
I think "tangible benefits" can be very different, for example customers start smiling because of new level of service - it's tangible benefit: we can see it, but this benefit shouldn't be taken into account when we make decision about investment. So "tangibility of benefits" can't be a factor in decision about investment. According to the passage only money should be a factor, money is tangible too, but its tangibility is not a focus.

Hello Harley1980, thanks for your response.

I just checked the meaning of "tangible". It says: perceptible by touch.

So, it seems to me that "smiling" would not qualify as tangible benefit.

Also, did you notice by the way, that the word "tangible" is actually used in the passage in this context:

Investments in service, like those in production and distribution, must be balanced against other types of investments on the basis of direct, tangible benefits such as cost reduction and increased revenues.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Math Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1272

Kudos [?]: 2311 [0], given: 178

Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 07:33
saumya12 wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
I think "tangible benefits" can be very different, for example customers start smiling because of new level of service - it's tangible benefit: we can see it, but this benefit shouldn't be taken into account when we make decision about investment. So "tangibility of benefits" can't be a factor in decision about investment. According to the passage only money should be a factor, money is tangible too, but its tangibility is not a focus.

Hello Harley1980, thanks for your response.

I just checked the meaning of "tangible". It says: perceptible by touch.

So, it seems to me that "smiling" would not qualify as tangible benefit.

Also, did you notice by the way, that the word "tangible" is actually used in the passage in this context:

Investments in service, like those in production and distribution, must be balanced against other types of investments on the basis of direct, tangible benefits such as cost reduction and increased revenues.



Hello saumya12
According to the Oxford dictionary there is one more meaning: "clear and definite; real".
And I think meaning about perception is not applicable in this context, because one can't touch "cost reduction".
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2311 [0], given: 178

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 75

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 20:24
Harley1980 wrote:
Hello saumya12
According to the Oxford dictionary there is one more meaning: "clear and definite; real".
And I think meaning about perception is not applicable in this context, because one can't touch "cost reduction".

Sure, and even by this definition, "smiling" would not qualify as "tangible". If that "smile" further results in greater customer retention etc. that would be a tangible benefit.

I somehow think there is something more fundamental going on here. Something very basic that we are missing.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 531

Kudos [?]: 618 [2], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2015, 10:38
2
This post received
KUDOS
Can someone please help with Q6. I thought it was A.

According to the passage, investments in service are comparable to investments in production and distribution in terms of the
(A) tangibility of the benefits that they tend to confer
(B) increased revenues that they ultimately produce
(C) basis on which they need to be weighed
>>Investments in service, like those in production and distribution, must be balanced against other types of investments on the basis of direct, tangible benefits such as
A & B answers just part of it.

cost reduction and increased revenues.
(D) insufficient analysis that managers devote to them
(E) degree of competitive advantage that they are likely to provide

Q4 :- The passage suggests that bank managers failed to consider whether or not the service improvement mentioned in lines 18-20
The bank managers did not recognize
1: the level of customer inertia in the consumer banking industry that arises from the inconvenience of switching banks.
2: it would attract new customers by producing a new standard of service that would excite customers
3: by proving difficult for competitors to copy.

(A) was too complicated to be easily described to prospective customers
(B) made a measurable change in the experiences of customers in the bank’s offices
>> Got tricked by this. But look at marked words. It mentions abt new customer.
(C) could be sustained if the number of customers increased significantly
(D) was an innovation that competing banks could have imitated
(E) was adequate to bring the bank’s general level of service to a level that was comparable with that of its competitors
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 618 [2], given: 606

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 149

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 59

Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 20:39
1B,2A (Incorrect),3A,4D,5E,6B
Time =5minutes 26 seconds
_________________

Regards,
Manish Khare
"Every thing is fine at the end. If it is not fine ,then it is not the end "

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 59

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 149

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 59

Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 20:47
Hello JarvisR,
Line 24 states :"The only merit of the improvement was that it could easily be described to customers."
From this ,it can be inferred that there was no other benefit to the bank.If you read the previous line they talk about the service failed to provide any benefits to the bank.
Now look at the options :

(A) highlight the oddity of the service improvement
(B) emphasize the relatively low value of the investment in service improvement
(C) distinguish the primary attribute of the service improvement from secondary attributes
(D) single out a certain merit of the service improvement from other merits
(E) point out the limited duration of the actual service improvement

Option A :There was no service improvement So it is incorrect
Option B: Correct ,since there was no gain to bank .
Option C: there is no mention of primary /secondary attributes
Option D: No improvement in service
Option E: Out of Scope. Passage does not mentions the duration.

JarvisR wrote:
Can someone please help with Q6. I thought it was A.

According to the passage, investments in service are comparable to investments in production and distribution in terms of the
(A) tangibility of the benefits that they tend to confer
(B) increased revenues that they ultimately produce
(C) basis on which they need to be weighed
>>Investments in service, like those in production and distribution, must be balanced against other types of investments on the basis of direct, tangible benefits such as
A & B answers just part of it.

cost reduction and increased revenues.
(D) insufficient analysis that managers devote to them
(E) degree of competitive advantage that they are likely to provide

Q4 :- The passage suggests that bank managers failed to consider whether or not the service improvement mentioned in lines 18-20
The bank managers did not recognize
1: the level of customer inertia in the consumer banking industry that arises from the inconvenience of switching banks.
2: it would attract new customers by producing a new standard of service that would excite customers
3: by proving difficult for competitors to copy.

(A) was too complicated to be easily described to prospective customers
(B) made a measurable change in the experiences of customers in the bank’s offices
>> Got tricked by this. But look at marked words. It mentions abt new customer.
(C) could be sustained if the number of customers increased significantly
(D) was an innovation that competing banks could have imitated
(E) was adequate to bring the bank’s general level of service to a level that was comparable with that of its competitors

_________________

Regards,
Manish Khare
"Every thing is fine at the end. If it is not fine ,then it is not the end "

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 59

Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2015, 20:47

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The fact that superior service can generate a competitive

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.