Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [6]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1284 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Send PM
Re: The fall in the Agriculture Institute's hostile disease thre [#permalink]
As I believe D changes the meaning
So answer should be E...
My concern is with E ....though it must be the right answer but does not has the 100% correct parallel structure....

Archit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The difference between

D- indicates that farmers should maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but that
and
E- indicates that farmers will maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but

is the use of should in D and the use of will in E ; but that and that.

Should expresses something morally obliged whereas will expresses to predict or expect an event that still lies in the future.

The original sentence states that farmers should maintain a high level of production in the next quarter but whether they will or not , we don't know...

Hence , E actually changes the meaning.

Now , that is parralel to but that, meaning that the second clause is dependent to the first..

Hope my analysis is fine , what is the OA ?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archit143 wrote:
The fall in the Agriculture Institute's hostile disease threat level indicate that farmers should maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but that the introduction of a new disease strain will pose a serious threat if suitable preventative measures are not developed.

(A) indicate that farmers should maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but that

(B) indicate that farmers are to maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but

(C) indicates that farmers will continue at a high level of producing in the next quarter, but that

(D) indicates that farmers should maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but that

(E) indicates that farmers will maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but

Archit

Hi Archit143, I'm just trying to confirm something. The way you posted this question, it looks like answer choice D (fourth one from the top) is correct. However you are wondering if it changes the meaning of the original sentence. I've reread it 5 times and it appears to be the original text posted verbatim, but with the verb agreement error corrected (subject of indicates is fall).

Rock750's analysis above is spot on, but I'm curious as to perceived differences in meaning. I'd go D on this one.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Originally posted by VeritasPrepRon on 20 Feb 2013, 09:09.
Last edited by VeritasPrepRon on 20 Feb 2013, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Bookmarks
I think the correct answer is E.

Reasons:

Meaning:
The fall in the Agriculture Institute's hostile disease threat level = Can not impose an obligation, hence the use of should does not make sense.

(also keep in mind that "should" is within the underlined portion, so we can not say that the intent of original sentence was to impose an obligation and we can not say that by selecting E we are changing the meaning of the sentence)

Parallelism:
The fall in the Agriculture Institute's hostile disease threat level indicates that
    farmers will maintain a high level of production in the next quarter
    the introduction of a new disease strain will pose a serious threat if suitable preventative measures are not developed.

We could have started the parallel structure with that if these two facts were independent of each other, but they are not in this case.

Originally posted by sumeetkarora on 20 Feb 2013, 10:15.
Last edited by sumeetkarora on 20 Feb 2013, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
The fall in the Agriculture Institute's hostile disease threat level indicate that farmers should maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but that the introduction of a new disease strain will pose a serious threat if suitable preventative measures are not developed.

(A) indicate that farmers should maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but that

(B) indicate that farmers are to maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but

(C) indicates that farmers will continue at a high level of producing in the next quarter, but that

(D) indicates that farmers should maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but that

(E) indicates that farmers will maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but

Archit

Hi Archit143, I'm just trying to confirm something. The way you posted this question, it looks like answer choice D (fourth one from the top) is correct. However you are wondering if it changes the meaning of the original sentence. I've reread it 5 times and it appears to be the original text posted verbatim, but with the verb agreement error corrected (subject of indicates is fall).

Rock750's analysis above is spot on, but I'm curious as to perceived differences in meaning. I'd go D on this one for sure.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron,
with all due regards to you and to your knowledge.....I was also amazed after finding my answer as wrong..............
Answer is E..........
I do not think source can be questioned...it is from GROCKIT...hardest question.......................

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archit
Director
Director
Send PM
Posting the OA

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: Ivey Rotman
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:

indicate that farmers should maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but that

indicate that farmers are to maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but

indicates that farmers will continue at a high level of producing in the next quarter, but that

indicates that farmers should maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but that

indicates that farmers will maintain a high level of production in the next quarter, but

OA will be posted after discussions!!!!

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!

Archit

My vote goes for E and here is my reasoning for the same:
fall .. indicates so left with C, D, E
fall in anything can't recommend the farmers so "should" goes out. Left with C vs E
I got it through the ending but there are other issues in C as well. We do not need parallelism with indicates that/but that .. because doing so will mean:
The fall in the Agriculture Institute's hostile disease threat level indicates (that || but) that the introduction of a new disease strain will pose a serious threat if suitable preventative measures are not developed.
Does not make sense .. how can fall in disease threat level (good indicator) is indicating a serious threat. (bad indicator)
We have got subject for our second clause after "but", so left the parallelism for but and chosen E.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archit143 wrote:
Ron,
with all due regards to you and to your knowledge.....I was also amazed after finding my answer as wrong..............
Answer is E..........

Archit

Hi Archit143, definite kudos for a tricky question that lures you in with parallel structure, but actually goes with meaning. OA being E makes sense. Recognizing the meaning trap here is the best way to see that the parallel structure provided in D is not necessary!

-Ron
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
Ron,
Answer is E..........

Archit

Hi Archit143, definite kudos for a tricky question that lures you in with parallel structure, but actually goes with meaning. OA being E makes sense. Recognizing the meaning trap here is the best way to see that the parallel structure provided in D is not necessary!

-Ron

Hey Ron,

Please can you provide more details about this meaning trap because i think don't get it !! what's wrong with D ?

Thanks in advance
Director
Director
Send PM
Rock750 wrote:
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
Ron,
Answer is E..........

Archit

-Ron

Hey Ron,

Please can you provide more details about this meaning trap because i think don't get it !! what's wrong with D ?

Thanks in advance

Hi ROck
Question is designed so that people end up chosing D..because of parallel structure but the oA is E......there is very thin line of difference between D and E in the menaing......and E conveys meaning in the best way possible.

Archit
Director
Director
Send PM
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
Ron,
Answer is E..........

Archit

-Ron

Moreover Kudos to you Ron...for accepting OA......generally people of your standard end up saying that OA is wrong........

Archit
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rock750 wrote:

Hey Ron,

Thanks in advance

Hi Rock750, the parallel structure is tricky because of the implied causation. The answers that maintain the " indicate that/but that" parallel structure imply causation between the subject (the fall of the threat level). In actuality, the fall of the threat level has causation on the first clause (high level of production), but the second clause (a new disease strain will pose a serious threat) is an independent warning that does not rest on the threat level.

In actuality, the fall of the threat level has implications on the production, but not on the threat of new disease. I'd prefer answer E if it had "should" instead of "will", because I don't see how the threat level guarantees production level (there should seemingly be other factors such as weather, demand, subsidies, etc), but the logic structure trumps this wording as the more egregious error.

And Archit, after seeing the level of difficulty of a lot of the questions asked in these forums, I'm confident I won't get them all right. The main concept is to see why answers are right and learn important takeaways. Above 90th percentile, almost every answer you pick will have something you don't like. The key is understanding which errors are unpardonable and which are simply nice-to-haves.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepRon wrote:

In actuality, the fall of the threat level has implications on the production, but not on the threat of new disease. I'd prefer answer E if it had "should" instead of "will", because I don't see how the threat level guarantees production level (there should seemingly be other factors such as weather, demand, subsidies, etc), but the logic structure trumps this wording as the more egregious error.

Hi Ron,

Sorry, don't really agree with what you are saying here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "should" in GMAT used only for advice/recommendation ?
If the original sentence is suggesting "should", I acknowledge that by choosing "will" in E, we are changing the original meaning but isn't it natural to check whether that original choice made sense or not ? To me, that does not ..

The original one literally conveys: "The fall in the threat of a known disease indicates Farmers should maintain high production in the next quarter".

1) Fall cannot recommend anything to begin with.
2) Even if it does, contrast with "but" in the other half of sentence does not align with this recommendation.
It would have been logical, had it been something like this in the non-underlined part: "but the maintenance of high level of production will add to the surplus and will be a net loss to the farmers".

Lastly, I agree to what you said about will (other factors that can be a reason), so to me "will be able to/can" would have made more sense in place of stronger and lonely "will".

That's just my two cents.
Director
Director
Send PM
gmatprepab wrote:
VeritasPrepRon wrote:

Hi Ron,

Sorry, don't really agree with what you are saying here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "should" in GMAT used only for advice/recommendation ?
If the original sentence is suggesting "should", I acknowledge that by choosing "will" in E, we are changing the original meaning but isn't it natural to check whether that original choice made sense or not ? To me, that does not ..

The original one literally conveys: "The fall in the threat of a known disease indicates Farmers should maintain high production in the next quarter".

1) Fall cannot recommend anything to begin with.
2) Even if it does, contrast with "but" in the other half of sentence does not align with this recommendation.
It would have been logical, had it been something like this in the non-underlined part: "but the maintenance of high level of production will add to the surplus and will be a net loss to the farmers".

Lastly, I agree to what you said about will (other factors that can be a reason), so to me "will be able to/can" would have made more sense in place of stronger and lonely "will".

That's just my two cents.

HI
The underlined portion contains the word indicates that means....it is the word following must be will because the intent shows it is not compulsory....should is required in the circumstances where things are mandatory or compulsory...but here just something is indicating towards something...which may or may not happen

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
The underlined portion contains the word indicates that means....it is the word following must be will because the intent shows it is not compulsory....

Indicates does not tell you any kind of probability. Its not that kind of word. You may consider replacing it with "points, suggests or argue etc."

Archit143 wrote:
should is required in the circumstances where things are mandatory or compulsory...but here just something is indicating towards something...which may or may not happen

You may refer to Q54 OG13: The report recommended that the hospital should eliminate unneeded beds ......
Read out its explanation and you will get to know why should is incorrect in Q54 as well as your explanation above.

Now, you may consider giving me kudos for finding out that precise example for you, though it derailed my routine for a while. :)
Director
Director
Send PM
gmatprepab wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
The underlined portion contains the word indicates that means....it is the word following must be will because the intent shows it is not compulsory....

Indicates does not tell you any kind of probability. Its not that kind of word. You may consider replacing it with "points, suggests or argue etc."

Archit143 wrote:
should is required in the circumstances where things are mandatory or compulsory...but here just something is indicating towards something...which may or may not happen

You may refer to Q54 OG13: The report recommended that the hospital should eliminate unneeded beds ......
Read out its explanation and you will get to know why should is incorrect in Q54 as well as your explanation above.

Now, you may consider giving me kudos for finding out that precise example for you, though it derailed my routine for a while. :)

Hi
In the question number you have mentioned has sunjunctive problem...In such cases "should " must not be used...Infact the verb used in subjunctive must be plural and base form ie with be.
The two questions are entirely different and not related.
Indicate in this sentence is not imperative and hence the question of elimination should on the basis of subjunctive is out of scope.....

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The fall in the Agriculture Institute's hostile disease [#permalink]
+1 for E.

Should cannot be used for predictions or orders from the authorities. It is used in case of moral obligations. Correct me if I am not.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The fall in the Agriculture Institute's hostile disease [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts