It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 00:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 44

Schools: Kellogg '17, ISB '17
GMAT Date: 05-20-2015
GPA: 3.06
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Re: The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2015, 23:38
Hello @plumber 250

Please explain this :

There is a word " AFTER " , which is mentioned in the statement

So , why do we still require - past perfect- "had accelerated " in the sentence ??

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 44

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Re: The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2015, 03:56
1991sehwag wrote:
Hello @plumber 250

Please explain this :

There is a word " AFTER " , which is mentioned in the statement

So , why do we still require - past perfect- "had accelerated " in the sentence ??

The sentence is trying to express the sequence of the following events: (i) Federal Reserve's announcement (ii) acceleration of growth

Hence, in this sentence, "after" does not seem to have any correlation with past perfect. So, basically both the sentences below (one "with after" and another one "without after") are correctly using Past perfect.

(i) The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated
(ii) The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2015, 02:13
Hi guys!
I understand why "that" is required but could please explain the difference between "little signs" and "few signs". I guess "little" is an adjective and "few" is a unit of measurement, we use it dealing with countable item. Or "little signs" is the same as "little hope"? I don't get the difference. Thanks!

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Manager
Manager

GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 10:05
Konstantin1983 wrote:
Hi guys!
I understand why "that" is required but could please explain the difference between "little signs" and "few signs". I guess "little" is an adjective and "few" is a unit of measurement, we use it dealing with countable item. Or "little signs" is the same as "little hope"? I don't get the difference. Thanks!

"little" is used for uncountables while "few" is used for "countables".

So, "little hope" is ok, because "hope" is uncountable.

However, "little signs" is incorrect, because "signs" is countable and so, we should use "few signs".

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 201

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 12:14
pqhai wrote:
"That" is required ==> only A, C, E remain.
Because the Fed said that <== past tense. Thus, the past perfect tense - "had accelerated" - is correct

The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
Correct.

• growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
Wrong. Parallelism problem.

• that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little
Wrong. Parallelism problem.

• growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little
Wrong. Need "that".

• that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
Wrong. Tense problem.

Hope it helps.

totally agree with this. that's how I got to the answer. Just want to add smth. C uses "little" for countable noun signs. this is incorrect.

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 201

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2015, 13:40
VerbalHow wrote:
Konstantin1983 wrote:
Hi guys!

"little" is used for uncountables while "few" is used for "countables".

So, "little hope" is ok, because "hope" is uncountable.

However, "little signs" is incorrect, because "signs" is countable and so, we should use "few signs".

Thanks! Now i got it. I was confused by the phrase "little signs". I though that "little" could be used to describe volume. Now it is easy to see that we can eliminate B,C,D. And we are down to A or E

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 48

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2015, 22:34
POE.
C and D are out because "little". With countable nouns, such as "signs", "few" should be used. Additionally, D needs "that".
B also out because no "that".
E is out because wrong tense sequencing, announcement and acceleration seems to take place at the same time.

CORRECT option - A.

Please give Kudos to the post if you liked.

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 48

SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 542 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2015, 00:26
The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.
"That" is necessary. Eliminate B and D.
• A that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
• C that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little "little can't be used with "signs" (countable)
• E that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few need past perfect tense for the verb accelerate, since the acceleration happened prior to the reporting of that acceleration

Kudos [?]: 542 [0], given: 23

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Re: Parallelism Revision: The Federal Reserve announcement said [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 05:44
A

A. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

B. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few - missing that

C. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little - little is not correct for countable signs

D. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little - missing that and also little incorrect

E. that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few - missing had which is required to make second part in past perfect

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 57

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1119 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 08:14
[quote="souvik101990"]The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

A. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few - Looks the best.

B. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few - Parallelism error

C. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little - Little is used for uncountable nouns.

D. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little - Little is used for uncountable nouns.

E. that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few - Incorrect.

Henco IMHO (A) is the best among the rest.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1119 [0], given: 327

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 04:49
VERY HARD
normaly the object clause is in past tense when the main clause is in past .

this is an example that the tense in object clause can be past perfect and present while the tense in main clause is in past.

this case happen rarely but do happen logically

terribly hard.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 650 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 06:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
1: Countable Vs Uncountable.
there are few signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.
>> Few is req.

2: X said something had happened.
>> Is req to show seq of event.

3: ||sm needs to be maintained with conjunction "and".

Option A is Correct.

The Federal Reserve announcement said
that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and
that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation,
even though
there are few signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 650 [0], given: 606

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8198 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2015, 07:50
Four issues here; one, for the sake of parallelism, we need the introducer ‘that’ in both arms; B and D are eliminated.
Two, the growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter. Let’s not separate this factor into two as accelerated and slowed and then break heads over which one occurred earlier orlater. Had accelerated is perfect fit for the juncture.
The third issue is about the announcement which came as the last of the events in past. So past tense for announcement is apt.
Fourth issue moves over to present tense. Remain concerned is simple present and is the right expression for the Fed’s current concern.
Among A, C and E, E is dropped for using simple past for acceleration. C uses little to denote the countable 'signs'. A remains perfect foil.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2016, 00:20
Hi,

I have a question regarding the present tense in which the second phrase is using: 'that the policy makers remain concerned...'

How could we use present tense in this sentence, 'said' is a past action so following it must be a past tense. The Fed could not know whether policy makers still remain concerned or not.

Verbal Expert pls help me if I am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2016, 05:01
pradeepss wrote:

• that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
• growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
• that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little
• growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little
• that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

Hi

Can someone explain that, can we also eliminate the answer choices on choosing between few and little which are there at the end.

Thanks
Himanshu

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3522 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2016, 14:15
Himanshu9818 wrote:
pradeepss wrote:

• that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

Hi

Can someone explain that, can we also eliminate the answer choices on choosing between few and little which are there at the end.

Thanks
Himanshu

Of course, the 3:2 split is ideal for eliminating 2 or 3 choices in one shot. Since "signs" is countable (plural), "few" should be used - "little" is used for non-countable nouns. With this split, 2 options (C and D) get cancelled at once.

Kudos [?]: 3522 [0], given: 22

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 07:14
I believe if "said" changes to "say", "had said" changes to "have said" so that the original meaning will be intact.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 541

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 00:04
1)The sentence is in indirect speech so we need that .
2)We also need that after and to maintain parallelism .
Only option A does that hence is the correct answer.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 541

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 136

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 05:43
Is it absolutely necessary to use past perfect in this instance?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 136

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 06:13
Top Contributor
Nicole wrote
Quote:
Is it absolutely necessary to use the past perfect in this instance?

Yes IMO; because that is the only marker of the timeline that indicates that the acceleration occurred before the Fed made the announcement. Just using the simple past 'accelerated' might erroneously imply that the announcement was made just as the growth was picking up.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Re: Parallelism Revision: The Federal Reserve announcement said   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2017, 06:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap