It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 14:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 412

GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2012, 04:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:12) correct 52% (01:20) wrong based on 992 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

A. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

B. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

C. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little

D. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little

E. that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 412

2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 477 [2], given: 412

GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
Re: The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2012, 04:49
This post received
KUDOS
The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the
second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation,
even though there are few
signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so

The answer choice is A, But im not clear with 2 things.

1) Usage of Had..
as per my understanding the growth accelerated after the after slowing. (meaning that growth is not the first action)

2) Parallelism: Are had accelerated & remain concerned parallel.
i mean shouldn't they be had accelerated & remained concerned

Kudos [?]: 477 [2], given: 412

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [3], given: 13

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2012, 16:14
This post received
KUDOS
RaviChandra wrote:
The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the
second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation,

1) Usage of Had..
as per my understanding the growth accelerated after the after slowing. (meaning that growth is not the first action)

Here's my reasoning:
1) The accelerated already occurred before the Federal Reserve announcement, so that's why you use "had accelerated." I'm not sure you compare the time frame to the slowing.

2) Policy makers continue to be concerned (it's present tense because they are still concerned) so you can't have "had remained"

Kudos [?]: 55 [3], given: 13

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 46

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2012, 09:34
Swoosh617 wrote:
RaviChandra wrote:

1) Usage of Had..

Here's my reasoning:
1) The accelerated already occurred before the Federal Reserve announcement, so that's why you use "had accelerated." I'm not sure you compare the time frame to the slowing.

2) Policy makers continue to be concerned (it's present tense because they are still concerned) so you can't have "had remained"

Still it is not clear to me why "had accelerated" is used inside the subordinate clause started by the word "that". I mean "growth" has slowed down first, then it accelerated. Why should we compare it with "said", which is outside the subordinate clause? So if we need to use past perfect, we should use it with the verb "slow" instead of with the verb "accelerate".

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 46

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2012, 23:18
sub3108 wrote:
Swoosh617 wrote:
RaviChandra wrote:

1) Usage of Had..

Here's my reasoning:

Still it is not clear to me why "had accelerated" is used inside the subordinate clause started by the word "that". I mean "growth" has slowed down first, then it accelerated. Why should we compare it with "said", which is outside the subordinate clause? So if we need to use past perfect, we should use it with the verb "slow" instead of with the verb "accelerate".

Lets see it on the time line... Additionally, "slowing" is not a VERB in this sentence. "Slowing" is acting as a noun(gerund) of the preposition "after"

growth accelerated________ announcement happened
________________________ policy makers concerned

To describe it more clearly, first of all growth was not accelerating and policy makers were concerned then growth accelerated and announcement happened but policy makers were still concerned. So on the day of announcement - growth accelerated , policy makers are concerned and TODAY growth had accelerated , policy makers remain concerned

Let me know if you still have doubts

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 20

7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 104 [7], given: 257

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 17:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

• that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
• growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
• that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little
• growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little
• that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.

Kudos [?]: 104 [7], given: 257

6 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3600 [6], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 23:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
"That" is required ==> only A, C, E remain.
Because the Fed said that <== past tense. Thus, the past perfect tense - "had accelerated" - is correct

that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
Correct.

• growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
Wrong. Parallelism problem.

• that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little
Wrong. Parallelism problem.

• growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little
Wrong. Need "that".

• that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
Wrong. Tense problem.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3600 [6], given: 123

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 78

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.36
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2013, 05:36
Hi

To begin with "say/said" doesn't always requires "that". However..all options except A &E have parallelism error. Both the subordinate clauses require "that" for parallelism to indicate that both these things were said.

Now that we are left with A & E option A has "had accelerated" whereas option "E" has "accelerated"...can somebody plz explain why should it be "had accelerated"?
I understand that past participle is used with an action is earlier in the past and simple past for the later one. But this is applicable only when two events in the past are related. In this question how can we say they are related/or require a sequence in which events occurred.
I am generally stuck in choices like these...plz help!!

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 78

14 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 437 [14], given: 4

Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2013, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Nikhil,

Let me see if I can help.

The part of the passage pertinent to your question is this

I've highlighted the two verbs.

The key thing as you say is the difference with whether you need 'had'. And you're also correct in the meaning of the two different tenses.

What you've missed is the connection between 'said' and 'accelerated' - the acceleration needs to have happened prior to the saying - or else that would not make sense.

Said is simple past, so accelerated needs to be in the tense that indicates it was done before the simple past. So you need 'had'

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Kudos [?]: 437 [14], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2013, 10:02
nikhil09 wrote:
Hi
To begin with "say/said" doesn't always requires "that"

Can you quote any sentence where "said" does not require "that" (in the correct option). I am under the impression it always does require "that".

nikhil09 wrote:
I understand that past participle is used with an action is earlier in the past and simple past for the later one.

Very minor thing. I believe you mean "past perfect" and not "past participle".

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 76

Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2014, 08:14
So can we safely assume

1: 'said' in a sentence like above always require ‘that’ after it?
2: If anyone said anything that has happened in the past then we must use past perfect tense for the event being talked about.

Thanks for your help!!!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 76

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18038 [1], given: 1990

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Parallelism Revision: The Federal Reserve announcement said [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 23:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

B. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

C. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little

D. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little

E. that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
The original is correct. The equivalent elements, “that growth had accelerated...” and
“that the policy makers remain...,” are parallel clauses beginning with "that." The verb
tenses are also correct; the action that occurred in the most distant past (“had picked
up pace”) uses the past perfect; the later past event (“statement also said”) uses the
simple past. Also, “few” is correct, since it modifies the quantifiable noun "signs."
(A) CORRECT. This choice is correct as it repeats the original sentence.
- 25 -
(B) This choice is not parallel; "that" is required before “growth had accelerated...” to
make it parallel to “that the policy makers remain..."
(C) This choice is not parallel; “that growth had accelerated...” is not parallel to “the
policy makers remain...” Moreover, “little” is incorrect; since “signs” are countable,
“few” is required.
(D) This choice is parallel, but the syntax is incorrect. "That" can be colloquially
omitted after the verb "said," but not in formal writing. Also, "little" should be
replaced by "few."
(E) This choice is parallel, but incorrectly uses the simple past, “accelerated.” This
action is the earlier past event, as it must have occurred before the Fed commented
on the trend. The earlier of multiple past events must use the past perfect.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18038 [1], given: 1990

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 111

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Parallelism Revision: The Federal Reserve announcement said [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 04:56
This post received
KUDOS

A. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few – Correct.

B. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few – That is required to maintain parallelism.

C. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little Few is required with countable noun Signs.

D. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little - That is required to maintain parallelism. Few is required with countable noun Signs.

E. that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few – Past perfect to show two action.

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 111

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.

Kudos [?]: 95 [3], given: 73

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

->Missing that in the beginning which is required to maintain parallalism with second that(highlighted)

->I would not consider "signs" as uncountable noun and hence would reject "little"

->I would not consider "signs" as uncountable noun and hence would reject "little"

E. that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
->"had" is required as "said" indicates one instance in past and any situation before that should be referred with a "had"

Regards,
J

--------------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if I helped in some way!!!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

Kudos [?]: 95 [3], given: 73

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [2], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 22:08
This post received
KUDOS
there are two 3-2 splits here. One 3-2 split is sentence ending with "few" and "little". Another 3-2 split is sentence starting with "that" and no "that".

1) that is required here. So B and D are wiped off..
2) signs are countable so "few" is prefered to "little". So among remaining A,C and E, C is wiped off..
Now A and E remains. Announcement happened after the acceleration of growth. So "had" is needed. E is out. A remains.. Answer is A...

Help me if I am wrong..

Kudos [?]: 34 [2], given: 20

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6107 [1], given: 121

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2015, 00:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
souvik101990 wrote:

ans A..
that is required with announcement so b and d out..
signs shuold have few and not little, so c also out..
the growth is being talked over two periods so 'had' is required.. e is also out..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6107 [1], given: 121

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 719 [1], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2015, 00:45
This post received
KUDOS
Usually past perfect tense is used to clarify the timeline of two unrelated events.
Here it is very clear that when someone says something about an event , that event has to occur before the saying. In my opinion 'HAD' is subtly irrelevant.
Having said so, I checked from other sources that OA is A but i will stick to E for reasons mentioned. Someone please clarify if i am mistaken.

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 719 [1], given: 80

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [1], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 13:27
This post received
KUDOS
I may be wrong, but none of the options seem to be correct.

For me, the correct answer should be:
The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remained concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there were few signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

Or:
The Federal Reserve announcement says that growth has accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

Some expert could help us with this question?

Kudos [?]: 28 [1], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
LBS Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 67

Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: LBS '19 (WL)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 14:04
This post received
KUDOS
I choose E, so as to get rid of the perfect tense "had accelerated",

In the sentence, there is nothing showing a another completed verb/ action in the past, if you use "remain concerned", that is an ongoing action

Experts please help!!

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 67

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 13:41
Hi,

One more question concerning the verb tense. Why is the present tense "remain" correct. Shouldn't it be switched to "remained" like in the following example:

Peter: “I work in the garden.”
Peter said that he worked in the garden.

What do I get wrong?

Where am i

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2015, 13:41

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap