GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 00:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

The figure above consists of triangle ADF and rectangle ABCD. BE = CG

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
The figure above consists of triangle ADF and rectangle ABCD. BE = CG  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 01:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (02:34) correct 53% (02:53) wrong based on 85 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The figure above consists of triangle ADF and rectangle ABCD. BE = CG = 1.5 and EG = 2. If the area of triangle EFG = x, what is the area of rectangle ABCD?

A. \(5x\)

B. \(\frac{5x}{2}\)

C. \(15x\)

D. \(\frac{15x}{2}\)

E. \(\frac{25x}{2}\)

Attachment:
figure.jpg
figure.jpg [ 10.38 KiB | Viewed 913 times ]

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: The figure above consists of triangle ADF and rectangle ABCD. BE = CG  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 21:00
Bunuel wrote:
The figure above consists of triangle ADF and rectangle ABCD. BE = CG = 1.5 and EG = 2. If the area of triangle EFG = x, what is the area of rectangle ABCD?

A. \(5x\)

B. \(\frac{5x}{2}\)

C. \(15x\)

D. \(\frac{15x}{2}\)

E. \(\frac{25x}{2}\)

Attachment:
figure.jpg

BC = 1.5 + 2 + 1.5 = 5 = AD

Since ABCD is a rectangle, BC is parallel to AD. So triangle EFG is similar to triangle AFD.
\(Sides Ratio = \frac{EG}{AD} = \frac{2}{5}\)
Ratio of altitudes will be 2/5 too

Area of EFG = x = (1/2)*Altitude * 2
Altitude of triangle EFG = x

So altitude of triangle AFD \(= \frac{5x}{2}\)

\(CD = \frac{5x}{2} - x = \frac{3x}{2}\)

Area of rectangle ABCD \(= AD * CD = 5 * \frac{3x}{2} = \frac{15x}{2}\)

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

General Discussion
CEO
CEO
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: The figure above consists of triangle ADF and rectangle ABCD. BE = CG  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 03:16
Bunuel wrote:

A. \(5x\)

B. \(\frac{5x}{2}\)

C. \(15x\)

D. \(\frac{15x}{2}\)

E. \(\frac{25x}{2}\)

Attachment:
figure.jpg

Please check the video solution using similar triangle property here...

Answer: Option D

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 20:22
I think something is wrong with the framing. If you choose the triangles ABE similar to FGE. The resulting area is 15x/4 and not 15x/2. Here is my reasoning.

In triangle FGE , let the altitude be h then h = x. (Area = 1/2* 2 * h).

By similar triangle property
BE/GE= AB/x (ratio of heights) -----> AB= 3x/4
AB*5 = area required = 15x/4

:0

Please help

Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Director
Director
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 23:10
Hi,

Already this question has been clearly explained above.

Just adding only one point, instead of “x” as the area of triangle, we can use some values for faster calculation (only for those who are very comfortable with numbers than variables).

BC = AD = 5(Given)

Area of rectangle = length * breadth = 5 * AB = 5 * AB

We need to find the value of AB.

Triangles EGF and ADF are similar triangles (EF and AB are parallel to each other).

In similar triangles, angles are equal and sides are proportional.

EG / AD = 2/5

So, height of these two triangles are also similar,

So, if we consider, height of the triangle EGF as 4,

Then given of the triangle EGF = x = ½ * 2 * 4 = 4

So, x = 4

According to the similar triangle rule,

Heights should also be in the ratio of 2/5 = 4/ 10

Breadth of the rectangle ABCD = Height of the triangle ADF – Height of the triangle EGF = 10 – 4 = 6

So the area of rectangle = 5 * 6 = 30.

Just substitute x = 4 in the answer choices, and check where the answer is 30.

A. 5x - 20

B. 5x/2 - 10

C. 15x - 60

D. 15x/2 - 30

E. 25x/2 – 25

So answer is D.

Hope this helps.

GMAT Mentors

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 23:25
Hi VeritasKarishma

I am still not clear with this. why can't we consider triangles ABE and EFG as similar and then use ratio side proportion ? Where am I going wrong ?

Posted from my mobile device

Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests
The figure above consists of triangle ADF and rectangle ABCD. BE = CG  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 10:32
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

I am still not clear with this. why can't we consider triangles ABE and EFG as similar and then use ratio side proportion ? Where am I going wrong ?

Even if it's not drawn to scale , there's no data to prove whether ABE and EFG are similar
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 02:21
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

Triangles ABE and EFG are not similar to each other.

Only one pair of angles is equal.
angle BEA = angle FEG

There is no second pair of equal angles. Triangles are similar by AA i.e. two angles need to be equal to two angles of the other triangle.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 02:56
Hi VeritasKarishma
Thank you for your response. I took the triangles similar as SAS
1.Angle as vertically opposites angles (angle BEA and angle FEG).
2.BE and BG are a part of the same straight line.
3.FE and EA are also a part of the same straight line and so they will have some sort of ratio
and thus by SAS both triangles are similar.

I think I m totally wrong here. Really need you expert advice on picking two similar triangles. I have already read both veritas articles on similarity, but this remains a common issue.

CEO
CEO
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Oct 2018, 04:13
pandeyashwin wrote:
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

Even if it's not drawn to scale , there's no data to prove whether ABE and EFG are similar

pandeyashwin

Who says, ABE and EFG are similar??? Of course they are NOT similar

I mentioned in my solution that AFD and EFG are similar triangle because they share one common angle at point F and since, Ab and EG are parallel therefore, angle A and angle E also will be similar in respective similar triangles hence we can always derive that the triangles AFD and EFG are similar.

For detailed solution you may check the video solution of this question here.

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Originally posted by GMATinsight on 15 Oct 2018, 03:59.
Last edited by GMATinsight on 15 Oct 2018, 04:13, edited 2 times in total.
CEO
CEO
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 04:10
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma
3.FE and EA are also a part of the same straight line and so they will have some sort of ratio

I think I m totally wrong here. Really need you expert advice on picking two similar triangles. I have already read both veritas articles on similarity, but this remains a common issue.

ShankSouljaBoi

Please check the Video and see if it helps in understanding how to use similar triangle property.

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight

P

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 23:09
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

Being a part of the same straight line does not imply that they are in the same ratio.
For SAS, we need
BE/EG = FE/EA

Even by just looking, we see that BE is much smaller than EG while FE and EA look similar. But we should not reply on what seems.
Triangle BEA is right angled triangle whereas EFG is certainly not right angled. So they cannot be similar. Even if you use one property to establish similarity, all other properties must be applicable too.
On the other hand, EFG and AFD are certainly similar triangles. There are some figures that should remind you of similar triangles immediately. Some of them are shown here: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/0 ... -the-gmat/

Karishma

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The figure above consists of triangle ADF and rectangle ABCD. BE = CG &nbs [#permalink] 15 Oct 2018, 23:09

The figure above consists of triangle ADF and rectangle ABCD. BE = CG

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap