Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [34]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [11]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [2]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: The finance department took into account a broader set of expenses tha [#permalink]
Kudos
For us at GMATCLUB, "kudo" is the synonym for "thanks". :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: The finance department took into account a broader set of expenses tha [#permalink]
vishu1414 wrote:
The finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a return-on-investment ratio.

A) department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a
B) department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determines a
C) department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department when each group determined a different
D) department took into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department when each group determined a
E) department, taking into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department, so each group determined a

OA after discussion

'The set used by Finance department is compared with the set used by Marketing department. Hence 'that' is required for singular 'set'. A and B are out.

C is comparing 'set of expenses' with marketing department.

In option E- The finance department,taking into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department, so each group determined a

The above sentence doesn't make any sense.

D is the right answer
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
vishu1414 wrote:
The finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a return-on-investment ratio.

A) department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a
B) department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determines a
C) department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department when each group determined a different
D) department took into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department when each group determined a
E) department, taking into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department, so each group determined a

OA after discussion

we compare a set of expenses with another set of expenses.
A/B/C are out right away.
E doesn't have an active verb
D remains
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Send PM
hello can someone tell me why C is wrong and what idiom is used with than. Sometimes I get it right but other times I get it wrong. Please help.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
vishu1414 wrote:

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Correct answer: (D)

Several choices combine Comparison and Pronoun errors. The correct comparison is between two sets of expenses, one of which is “broader.” Since “a set” is singular, it is incorrect to use “those” to replace ‘a set of expenses,” as (A) and (B) do. Also, (C) compares “a set of expenses” to “the marketing department.” This choice would work if it said that the finance department used a broader set of expenses than the marketing department DID. Otherwise, we have an Comparison error. Also, (B) has a Tense problem, using “determines” when it should use the past tense “determined.” Choice (E) has the Sentence Construction error of not connecting the subject—“The marketing department”—to any verb. It is not a complete sentence. Choice (D), the correct choice, uses the singular pronoun “that” to refer to “a set of expenses” and contains no other errors.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
I think the underline is a little too extensive here, seems like the start of the sentence is not part of any answer choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
A and B need to use ‘that’ to refer to ‘set’ (singular). SVA disagreement, so both of these options are wrong.
C is comparing the ‘set of expenses’ to the marketing department. Incorrect comparison, also wrong.
E has the wrong tense.
D is the right answer

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
vishu1414 wrote:

OA after discussion

IMO the answer has to be D.
We are supposed to make the right comparison here.
In A and B, there is a SVA issue. A and B treats "broader set of expenses" as plural as is evitable by "those". This is wrong. In "broader set of expenses" we must deal with the "set" not the "expenses". A and B are gone.
In C, "broader set of expenses" is being compared with the "marketing department". Incorrect.
D makes the right comparison and hence is correct.
In E, if you remove the modifier by crossing it off, the sentence will not be able to stand on its own.

+1D

How is the omitted word wrong on the answer C?

- I assume that in order to correct the sentence, the second part must be " ... than the marketing department DID". Right?

Here is the example from Manhattan Prep, Chapter 6, Comparisons:

- I walk faster than Brian [walks] (The verb walks is ok to be omitted here).

Where did I go wrong? Please help...

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
if the compared elements are objects of the clauses, the case is most difficult. the test maker has many ways to make wrong answer. above question is easy

regarding choice C.
we compare two sets. how to make the second set clear. this can be done by "that/those' or "it/they" or ellipsis. ellipsis should be good enough and parallel so that the second element , "set", is understood clearly.

ellipsis is hardest on sc. the purpose is not confusing and do not make misunderstanding. parallelism is a vehicle to get logical comparison but many pattern do not require parallelism to do so.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
The finance department took into account a broader set of expenses tha [#permalink]

Confusion:
F. Department took expenses than M. Deaprtment (did)
Or
F. Deaprtment took expensense than xyz

But is it not clear that expenses and M Deaprtment cannot be compared so it is unambiguous , hence the sentence should not be rejected on basis that that expenses compare with M. Deaprtment.
I think we should make more clear only in case of umabiguity. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Hence I selected C

Confusion:
FD took into account set of expenses than that used by marketing department
Here that refers to set

ii. FD took into account BROADER set of expenses than that used by marketing department
it is mentioned already BROADER than using “ that” become irrelevant.

So I rejected D

I found this question is not from OG. But from veritas.

VeritasKarishma : Please comment.
AndrewN sir : please share which option did you choose and why? ( especially between C and D) . What is that point that kept you away from the confusion I have:)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
AndrewN sir : please share which option did you choose and why? ( especially between C and D) . What is that point that kept you away from the confusion I have:)

All right, imSKR, I will play ball. I did narrow the choices down to (C) or (D), just as I now see you had, but I opted for (D), the answer I thought was harder to argue against. I will get into why below.

vishu1414 wrote:

To be honest, I did not even get to determines in (B). Both the original sentence and (B) pair the singular set with the plural those (in reference to expenses). I wrote them off for the same reason.

vishu1414 wrote:

I got rid of (E) next because it presents an easy target. Removing the interrupting phrase exposes a garbled sentence: The finance department so....

vishu1414 wrote:

I have taken the liberty of highlighting the differences between (C) and (D). The lack of a dummy verb in did dissuaded me from (C)—I thought the matching set of expenses and that [set of expenses] used by between different departments worked well—and the different at the end adds nothing more than confusion to the picture. Is it necessary to express the vital meaning of the sentence? Choice (C) and choice (C) alone focuses on the outcome of using different sets of expenses. The rest of the answer choices focus on the process instead, implying that the ratios may have been different.

For the above reasons, I chose (D). It is better to play it safe when in doubt. If you chase an answer choice in hopes that it simply works out, you will probably be disappointed as often as not, and your progress will be hindered.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:

Confusion:
F. Department took expenses than M. Deaprtment (did)
Or
F. Deaprtment took expensense than xyz

But is it not clear that expenses and M Deaprtment cannot be compared so it is unambiguous , hence the sentence should not be rejected on basis that that expenses compare with M. Deaprtment.
I think we should make more clear only in case of umabiguity. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Hence I selected C

Confusion:
FD took into account set of expenses than that used by marketing department
Here that refers to set

ii. FD took into account BROADER set of expenses than that used by marketing department
it is mentioned already BROADER than using “ that” become irrelevant.

So I rejected D

I found this question is not from OG. But from veritas.

VeritasKarishma : Please comment.

@imSKR

I took this comparison error on a post here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/according-to ... l#p2721365
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
please help me to understand how i recognized what the sentence is trying to compare i choose c , department to department ....
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
evyatarkohen wrote:
please help me to understand how i recognized what the sentence is trying to compare i choose c , department to department ....

The Finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department when each group...

The comparison is not department to department but the set of expenses used by one department vs the set of expenses used by the other department. Finance dept took into account a broader set of expenses - as compared to what? as compared to the set of expenses that marketing dept used.

The comparison word is 'broader.' What does it modify? The set of expenses.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
vishu1414 wrote:

A - (1) Demonstrative Pronoun issue - Plural "those" is used to modify a singular subject "a set of expenses". Incorrect.

B - (1) Same issue as above, (2) Tense issue - past tense is use to compare present tense. Incorrect.

C - (1) Comparison issue - a set of expenses is compared to a department. Incorrect.

D - (1) that - can be used to replace a singular subject so it is correct, (2) tense - past tense compared to past tense so it is also correct. Structure ✓, Meaning ✓.

E - (1) that - correctly used, (2) No finite verb - present participle phrase used instead of a clause. Incorrect.

Therefore, option D is the correct answer.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts