GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 04:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The first African slaves were brought to the Americas in the early 160

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The first African slaves were brought to the Americas in the early 160  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 00:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (02:33) correct 42% (02:38) wrong based on 301 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The first African slaves were brought to the Americas in the early 1600s, where their labor was used primarily for agricultural and household purposes. The institution of slavery in the New World presupposes not only the existence of slaves and owners, but also a system of laws in place which recognized and protected the practice of slavery. However, laws were not enacted, for example, declaring slaves the personal property of their owners and imposing punishments upon those who aided slaves in escape, until many years later.

If the sentences in the passage above are true, then they support which one of the following statements?

(A) Arguing that laws needed to be enacted recognizing and protecting the institution of slavery before the practice of slavery could have existed in the New World is to ignore historical fact.

(B) Prior to 1700, some of the Europeans who came to the New World enslaved native Indian populations.

(C) Slavery was practiced in many parts of the world before Africans were first brought to the New World as slaves.

(D) The prior existence of a supportive legal system is needed before an institutional practice can develop.

(E) One of the reasons slavery developed in the New World was the tremendous need for manual labor.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Manager
Manager
P
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge
Re: The first African slaves were brought to the Americas in the early 160  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 06:04
I am confused can you explain why C is wrong
or someone please provide detailed explanation how they eliminated other options and reached to conclusion that A is the answer
Chat Moderator
B
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The first African slaves were brought to the Americas in the early 160  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 06:47
haardiksharma wrote:
I am confused can you explain why C is wrong
or someone please provide detailed explanation how they eliminated other options and reached to conclusion that A is the answer

C states something that is irrelevant to answering the question.

...once and a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 11:13
I found A to be very confusing and intimidating and took a long time to decipher it. At the same time, found other options to be very irrelevant to the stimulus. Given that its a must be true question, A seems best to fit the cut.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GPA: 3.59
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 10:21
it took me 5.52 mins to choose my answer, still not convinced how A is correct? but out of all the options only A seems correct. Used find wrong answer strategy for this question
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 10:29
To solve this problem is to understand the second sentence,

Quote:
The institution of slavery in the New World presupposes not only the existence of slaves and owners, but also a system of laws in place which recognized and protected the practice of slavery

This is actually synonymous with option (A) i.e Arguing that laws needed to be enacted recognizing and protecting the institution of slavery before the practice of slavery could have existed in the New World is to ignore historical fact.

Meaning, laws need not be enacted for a norm to be established.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 10:10
r19 wrote:
it took me 5.52 mins to choose my answer, still not convinced how A is correct? but out of all the options only A seems correct. Used find wrong answer strategy for this question

I Think this will be my last reply to anyone. Hope you get it.

History:
What argument says - slavery introduced after 1600.
But laws were enacted only after several years of slavery.
Means definitely after 1600.

Lets come into the option A.
A says that : If you say that slavery came into existence after laws came into picture. i.e. they are having laws long before slavery came into existence, then you are refuting the historical evidence ( What is cited in the above ).

Hence, Answer should be A. :) .
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 23:54
C is a trap because it uses knowledge outside of the passage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 01:28
Please explain why A is correct. I'm not sure of the language used in the option A. It says that

Arguing that laws NEEDED TO BE ENACTED..before...is to ignore history.

How can we argue THE NEED FOR ENACTMENT OF LAWS? We just know that laws were enacted after many years, we haven't been told about THE NEED FOR ENACTMENT OF LAWS.

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 01:30
rohan2345 wrote:
The first African slaves were brought to the Americas in the early 1600s, where their labor was used primarily for agricultural and household purposes. The institution of slavery in the New World presupposes not only the existence of slaves and owners, but also a system of laws in place which recognized and protected the practice of slavery. However, laws were not enacted, for example, declaring slaves the personal property of their owners and imposing punishments upon those who aided slaves in escape, until many years later.

If the sentences in the passage above are true, then they support which one of the following statements?

(A) Arguing that laws needed to be enacted recognizing and protecting the institution of slavery before the practice of slavery could have existed in the New World is to ignore historical fact.
(B) Prior to 1700, some of the Europeans who came to the New World enslaved native Indian populations.
(C) Slavery was practiced in many parts of the world before Africans were first brought to the New World as slaves.
(D) The prior existence of a supportive legal system is needed before an institutional practice can develop.
(E) One of the reasons slavery developed in the New World was the tremendous need for manual labor.

rohan2345 What is the source?

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 10:08
This is an unofficial question from Master The LSAT.

www.gmatninja.com

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 06:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The first African slaves were brought to the Americas in the early 160 &nbs [#permalink] 22 Sep 2018, 06:11

The first African slaves were brought to the Americas in the early 160

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap