Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [12]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [15]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Re: The first progress in combating infection was made in 1847 by the Hung [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:
The first progress in combating infection was made in 1847 by the Hungarian doctor Ignaz Semmelweis, who, despite ridicule and opposition, introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards, and he was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths, however the Royal Society dismissed his advice.

A) who introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths, despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society
B) who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was ridiculed, opposed, and dismissed by the Royal Society
C) who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society
D) who was ridiculed, opposed, and dismissed by the Royal Society, even though he introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths
E) who, despite ridicule and opposition, introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards, and he was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths, however the Royal Society dismissed his advice.

MEANING
The first progress in combating infection was made by H, who reduced deaths and was ridiculed by R.

A) "rewarded with a plunge in deaths" is weird; "ridicule" is the present, R mocked H in the past;
C) "ridicule, opposition,…" are in the present, these things happened in the past;
D) "rewarded with a plunge in deaths" is weird;
E) "who introduced…and he was" not parallel; "rewarded with a plunge in deaths" is weird;

Ans (B)
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [0]
Send PM
The first progress in combating infection was made in 1847 by the Hung [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Doer01 wrote:
generis , Choice A and E seem to be swapped.

Doer01 , they were swapped. I fixed them. Thanks for the heads up. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
The first progress in combating infection was made in 1847 by the Hung [#permalink]
Kudos
The first progress in combating infection was made in 1847 by the Hungarian doctor Ignaz Semmelweis, who, despite ridicule and opposition, introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards, and he was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths, however the Royal Society dismissed his advice.

A) who introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths, despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society
This an unsatisfying answer to me but it will have to do. I believe it carries the meaning well while avoiding the error in E .

B) who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was ridiculed, opposed, and dismissed by the Royal Society
While there is nothing grammatically wrong,I believe the meaning isn't properly carried through. He introduced hand washing despite ridicule and opposition. he did not introduce handwashing and then was also opposed and ridiculed

C) who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society who was opposed and ridiculed: those who performed the handwashing or our Hungarian doctor

D) who was ridiculed, opposed, and dismissed by the Royal Society, even though he introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths
He wasn't ridiculed and opposed even though he did something.Rather, he introduced handwashing in the face of ridicule and opposition

E) who, despite ridicule and opposition, introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards, and he was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths, however the Royal Society dismissed his advice.
However here is meant to replace but. We can't use however to replace but bybhsing just a comma.To do so, we would need a full stop or a semi colon after fetal deaths.After the however, we would then need a comma.Like this : ......DEATHS,HOWEVER,
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Re: The first progress in combating infection was made in 1847 by the Hung [#permalink]
Kudos

Meaning: Doctor Ignaz Semmelweis made the first progress in combating infection in 1847. He reduced maternal and fetal deaths by introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards. He was ridiculed, opposed, and dismissed by the Royal Society.

A) who, despite ridicule and opposition, introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards, and he was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths, however the Royal Society dismissed his advice.
The clause he was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths is illogical. We can say his effort was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths. Perhaps the clause could be he was rewarded for a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths. Apart from this, this sentence is a run-on. he was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths and however the Royal Society dismissed his advice are two main clauses joined by a comma. Eliminate A.

Correct. This option is abridged, so I was quite skeptical about its correctness as it omits a number of details that were in the main sentence. I couldn't find any option that is better, hence my choice of option B. The parallelism is okay. reduced is rightly parallel to was ridiculed, opposed, and dismissed.

C) who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society
This option is very similar to option B. The only difference is that option C does not express the ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society parallel to reduced maternal and fetal deaths. Instead, it is expressed as a contrast. I, however, prefer the parallel structure in option B compared to option C. I will patiently wait for the OE.

D) who was ridiculed, opposed, and dismissed by the Royal Society, even though he introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths.
The parallelism is okay between introduced and was rewarded. But the meaning of he was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths is still illogical as in option A. We can, therefore, stand on this ground to eliminate option D. I would have opted for this option if not for the illogical meaning portrayed by he was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths

E) who introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths, despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society
The same illogical meaning exists in option E as well.

I don't know whether this can be a ground to eliminate options A, C, and E but according to the VAN principle, when it comes to concision, verbs are preferred followed by adjectives, and finally nouns. When you look at how the fact that Dr. Ignaz was ridiculed, opposed, and dismissed by the Royal Society, Options B and D use adjectives (i.e. verb-ed modifiers) while options A, C, and E use nouns. So in a way, option B can be considered more concise than option C.

I am going with option B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Can a relative pronoun be parallel to pronoun?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos

A) who, despite ridicule and opposition, introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards, and he was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths, however the Royal Society dismissed his advice.> he has no clear antecedent. Shouldn't 'however' be separated by a ';'?

B) who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was ridiculed, opposed, and dismissed by the Royal Society > precise and correct.

C) who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society > despite should be followed by a clause, not nouns.

D) who was ridiculed, opposed, and dismissed by the Royal Society, even though he introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths> distorts meaning of the original sentence.

E) who introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths, despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society > same problem as C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos

This is a Meaning based question.

A) who, despite ridicule and opposition, introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards, and he was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths, however the Royal Society dismissed his advice.

he was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths - This is incorrect meaning, he wasnt rewarded rather it was an outcome of his action.

B) who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was ridiculed, opposed, and dismissed by the Royal Society.

Seems okay- Keep

Although a contrast word makes more sense than a parallel construction for the intended meaning, I think there is an issue here. The contrast shall be "Introducing CH" despite " ridicule, opposition, and dismissal".
However, the way it is phrased here it seems the contrast is "who reduced maternal and fetal deaths" despite " ridicule, opposition, and dismissal"
This is due to the passive nature of the construction, would like to know more from master generis.

was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths - Again incorrect.

E) who introduced compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards and was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths, despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society
was rewarded with a plunge in maternal and fetal deaths - Incorrect
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation here
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
hero_with_1000_faces wrote:

Although a contrast word makes more sense than a parallel construction for the intended meaning, I think there is an issue here. The contrast shall be "Introducing CH" despite " ridicule, opposition, and dismissal".
However, the way it is phrased here it seems the contrast is "who reduced maternal and fetal deaths" despite " ridicule, opposition, and dismissal"
This is due to the passive nature of the construction, would like to know more from master generis.

Hi hero_with_1000_faces , you wrote
Quote:
However, the way (C) is phrased here it seems the contrast is "who reduced maternal and fetal deaths" despite " ridicule, opposition, and dismissal"

I am not sure that I understand your question completely.

You removed one prepositional phrase (a very long one!). Why not remove the other one?

The first ABC was Dr. S,
who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society.

I can't think of "reduced maternal and fetal deaths" without the by phrase (the very long "by" phrase).
No comma precedes the word "by."

I wonder whether "despite" does not strike people as a contrast word. Or perhaps the word does not seem strong enough?
We could write something such as
The first ABC was Dr. S,
who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by washing his hands with rubbing alcohol despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society.

Does that version seem better?

We can't just take out one prepositional phrases as you did. :)
Or, if you're going to remove the preposition "by," then remove "despite," too. (I'm kidding. Don't remove either one.)

Yes, you are 100% correct about the passive structure and its contribution to confusion.
We don't know who is responsible for the ridicule, opposition, and dismissal until after the nouns.

A long prepositional phrase frequently "gets" test takers.

The word "despite," by the way, is a bit controversial. The word is used by GMAC.

One linguist whose work I admire (and who is hilarious) says that "despite" is "an unproductive word" that is "hard to fathom."

I would say that we need to get rid of the four worst answers and not try to rewrite the one that remains.
Doing the latter is very tempting—just ask me. (As an editor, I am sometimes made slightly crazy by the correct answers.)

I think this question may present a good lesson:
When we see a long prepositional phrase,
(1) the sentence will sound strange, and
(2) we should be on guard because we are not likely to analyze it "instinctively."

We do not often see sentences with phrases like those in this sentence.

I hope that answer helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
generis wrote:
hero_with_1000_faces wrote:

Hi hero_with_1000_faces , you wrote
Quote:
However, the way (C) is phrased here it seems the contrast is "who reduced maternal and fetal deaths" despite " ridicule, opposition, and dismissal"

I am not sure that I understand your question completely.

You removed one prepositional phrase (a very long one!). Why not remove the other one?

The first ABC was Dr. S,
who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society.

I can't think of "reduced maternal and fetal deaths" without the by phrase (the very long "by" phrase).
No comma precedes the word "by."

I wonder whether "despite" does not strike people as a contrast word. Or perhaps the word does not seem strong enough?
We could write something such as
The first ABC was Dr. S,
who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by washing his hands with rubbing alcohol despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society.

Does that version seem better?

We can't just take out one prepositional phrases as you did. :)
Or, if you're going to remove the preposition "by," then remove "despite," too. (I'm kidding. Don't remove either one.)

Yes, you are 100% correct about the passive structure and its contribution to confusion.
We don't know who is responsible for the ridicule, opposition, and dismissal until after the nouns.

A long prepositional phrase frequently "gets" test takers.

The word "despite," by the way, is a bit controversial. The word is used by GMAC.

One linguist whose work I admire (and who is hilarious) says that "despite" is "an unproductive word" that is "hard to fathom."

I would say that we need to get rid of the four worst answers and not try to rewrite the one that remains.
Doing the latter is very tempting—just ask me. (As an editor, I am sometimes made slightly crazy by the correct answers.)

I think this question may present a good lesson:
When we see a long prepositional phrase,
(1) the sentence will sound strange, and
(2) we should be on guard because we are not likely to analyze it "instinctively."

We do not often see sentences with phrases like those in this sentence.

I hope that answer helps.

Thank You for your detailed response.
generis

My question is the contrast is between which two things

I think it is between "introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards" and "despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society"

My problem with this construction is the fact that the way it written seems to contrast "who reduced maternal and fetal deaths (this Phrase is before by)" despite "ridicule, opposition, and dismissal (this is before phrase before by)"

Rather, I think the intended meaning requires contraste between "Introduction despite ridicule"
which means "Introduction of compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal"

I hope I am clear my with question. Thank you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Hi generis, thanks much for posting the OE. The sentence is very tough. I am actually surprised that about 50% of the people answered it correctly. I was quite confused by the meaning of the sentence, and your advice "try another option" is very good.

It will be interesting to observe how often "try another option" might be useful in OG questions.

On a side note, few minuted after reading the explanation I attempted an official question [ SPOILER ], which man de me thinking about this structure

Quote:
-- almost always, we do not repeat the subject or use a pronoun to repeat the subject

Quote:
Stephanie returned phone calls and she doodled on paper.

I guess it is correct to repeat the subject in certain cases. What are your thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 470 Q27 V28
GMAT 2: 590 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 600 Q39 V34
GRE 1: Q166 V159
Send PM
Hi, GMATNinja
I have been following a lot of your posts. If you could please explain why
in option C (Everyone entering maternal wards - is correct )

And Why Option B is incorrect
Here "Who reduced (Modifier)" is parallel with
and"Was Ridiculed(Modifier) "
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Afnan24 wrote:
Hi, GMATNinja
I have been following a lot of your posts. If you could please explain why
in option C (Everyone entering maternal wards - is correct )

And Why Option B is incorrect
Here "Who reduced (Modifier)" is parallel with
and"Was Ridiculed(Modifier) "

Hello Afnan24,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query,

We believe we can resolve your doubt.

Option B is incorrect because the omission of "despite" and inclusion of "and" remove the needed sense of contrast, altering the meaning of the sentence; the intended meaning is that the doctor introduced compulsory handwashing in spite of ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society; Option B implies that the doctor introduced compulsory handwashing, and as a separate action, was ridiculed, opposed, and dismissed by the Royal society.

In Option C "entering" is a present participle ("verb+ing") that modifies "everyone", conveying that the handwashing was compulsory for everyone in the process of entering the maternal wards.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Option C says
"C) who reduced maternal and fetal deaths by introducing compulsory handwashing for everyone entering the maternal wards despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society"
Here "....despite ridicule, opposition, and dismissal by the Royal Society." does not modify "everyone entering the maternal wards"? Please clarify.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts