It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The first trenches cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 141

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 08:34
A. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but....wordy ...
B. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously with but also..subject-verb agreement
C. having been cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but...having been awkward
D. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but also Subjectverb agreement
E. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but ....correct answer

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 141

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 30

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 00:00
The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated city-states of southern Mesopotamia, in what is now southern Iraq.

A. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but
B. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously with but also
C. having been cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but
D. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but also
E. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but

My 2 cents on A and E.
I think it is important to realize that "cut into" used on E is in the past tense.
If you don't catch this, choosing E would be difficult.
So the sentence structure is like this.
1. The paint that was created by Picasso.
2. The paint created by Picasso.

Both is ok but 2 is more concise.

Also, for A, I do not think "evidence for" is wrong idiom.
Rather, I think the issue is with for what? It is missing verb there.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 30

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 00:20
The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated city-states of southern Mesopotamia, in what is now southern Iraq.

A. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but
B. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously with but also
C. having been cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but
D. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but also
E. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but

B and D instant elimination because of yields S-V error
E is correct

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 10

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 267

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 07:20

first trenches............have yielded (correct because the evidence still holds true)
that (refers to trenches)..............were cut

evidence for is unidiomatic and should be evidence that.

E is the right answer.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Human Resources, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 01:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED

In this question eliminated D and B because but also cannot be used we need "not only" before that
is this approach of mine correct or we can use "but also" alone
If yes can you share exmple where "but also" is used without "not only"

Army Brat

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Human Resources, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 01:17
can we use "but also" or do we need to have "not only " before that
can you share an official example if any, where "but also" is used without"not only"

Army Brat

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3292 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 02:17
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rahulkiller321 wrote:
can we use "but also" or do we need to have "not only " before that
can you share an official example if any, where "but also" is used without"not only"

Logically "but also" can be used indepedently. The difference between the structure (a) "but also" without "not only" and (b) "not only X, but also Y" is as follows.

(a) "But also" without "not only":
The structure would be as follows:
Clause, but (also) Clause.
In this case two clauses are combined by the conjunction "but". No further parallelsim is applicable in such case.
You did your work in time, but you also made many mistakes.... correct.

(b) "Not only X, but also Y":
However for a "not only....but also" structure, the two elements can be anything: noun, verb, participles, modifiers etc.
Noun: I have not only a pen, but also a book.
Verb: I not only have a pen, but also can write with it.

When I come across an official example with the first structure, I shall revert back.

Kudos [?]: 3292 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 03:03

A. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but - "evidence for" means "evidence because centrally administered complex..." clearly this does not make any sense + twice use of "that" makes it very wordy & complicated
B. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously with but also - "yields" does not work with plural subject "trenches" + twice use of "that" makes it very wordy & complicated
C. having been cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but - "having been" unnecessarily wordy + "simultaneously" must be followed by "with"
D. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but also - "yields" does not work with plural subject "trenches" + "also is not unnecessary
E. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but - CORRECT "have" works with plural subject "trenches + "evidence that" is correct

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 10:34
Hi all

E. The first trenches cut into............
Is option E in passive voice?

Thanks

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Director
Director
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 10:37
carcass wrote:
Your explantion Mike is outstanding but in my opinion who study Sentence Correction more clinically than logically tend to struggle because their view becomes too technical.

I admit the importance and the distinction among the rules to clarify and consolidate the concepts.

however, on the upper level question to catch the gist of the sentence is more important.

Grammar rules lead you to the next level but after some point if you rely too much on rules, you lose the compass.

I didn't ask to myself where "that" standed for and the significance of it.

I understood that "cut" was the key and D was ackward and wrong because if you read the entire sentence it unfolds not so clearly.

Otherwise A student could be stuck in a limbo for endless time. my personal opinion, acceptable or not

For the rest thanks for the super super super amazing explanation :)

To completely understand what I mean here an article (it is like a windfall in this situation) from brian galvin - veritas prep

Fraud or Phenom In Sentence Correction

Best Regards

carcass

Hi carcass

The link in your post is not working. I tried to open the page but the article is not there.

Thanks

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Concentration: General Management, Other
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.83
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 23:52
Why is Ans E?

If we remove that then the second clause will have the missing subject as Trench is already fulfilling subject requirement in the first clause. How can the second clause take subject Trench?
Ans:
cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria,
(missing subject)have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but

Looking for the crystal clear answer.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 00:56
dkverma wrote:

A,D are OUT. SV disagreement.
C - What in the world is a present perfect progressive tense doing here? OUT.
B/W A and E.
A - No errors in the first clause, but 'that were cut' modifying trenches is definitely wordy. E is better in this regard
+ A uses 'evidence for' -> evidence for something is different from evidence that reveals something. With the gist of this sentence, we CANNOT use 'evidence for', as it makes no sense.
+ The second 'that' is referring to? Middle-east? or Societies, or regions? Iffy usage, and we can steer clear from it.

E is concise with no errors, and has a clear meaning. WINS.

E is the answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 186

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The first trenches cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 21:58

(A) that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but

(B) that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously with but also

(C) having been cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but

(D) cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but also

(E) cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 186

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Re: The first trenches cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 20:36

(A) that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but
- "evidence for societies that were arising" = awkward. should be "evidence THAT societies were arising"

(B) that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously with but also
- "yields" = incorrect. the trenches YIELD/HAVE YIELDED

(C) having been cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but
- "having been cut" = wordy, awkward, inferior to infinitive. also infers passive, and we know the GMAT doesn't like this type of structure

(D) cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but also
- same as "B"

(E) cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but
- correct as is

key takeaways:
> "evidence THAT" = preferred; "evidence FOR ...VERB-ING (ARISING)" = weird
> SVA: trenches DO NOT YIELDS! TRENCHES YIELD/HAVE YIELDED.
> Other weird: "having been cut" = wordy/awkward...doesn't imply active verb form which GMAT prefers

kudos please if you find helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Re: The first trenches cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria,   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2017, 20:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 74 posts ] 

The first trenches cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap