GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 22:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The flight from Country D to Country T takes 5 hours and includes two

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
The flight from Country D to Country T takes 5 hours and includes two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 11:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:27) correct 63% (01:28) wrong based on 224 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The flight from Country D to Country T takes 5 hours and includes two layovers along the way. The time by train is only 4.5 hours. To save time and money, vacationers from Country D should take the train on trips to and from Country T.

Which of the following, if true, would best strengthen the above argument?

A. For most residents of Country D, the cost of getting to the train station is comparable to the cost of getting to the airport.
B. The routes for both the flight and the train ride from Country T to Country D are the same as the respective routes going in the opposite direction.
C. The flight time of 5 hours is atypical for the trip from Country D to Country T.
D. The train ride from Country D to Country T offers a higher level of comfort.
E. The airline that flies from Country D to Country T no longer offers bonus points that can be redeemed for a cash rebate.

Please press Kudos if this helped :-)

“Going in one more round when you don't think you can, that's what makes all the difference in your life.”

Manager
Manager
G
Re: The flight from Country D to Country T takes 5 hours and includes two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 11:22
Could someone please explain why the answer is B and not A?

Thank you in advance! :-)

“Going in one more round when you don't think you can, that's what makes all the difference in your life.”

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: The flight from Country D to Country T takes 5 hours and includes two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 11:42
The conclusion indicates both Time and Money, whereas option A only talks about money.
This and "trips to and from Country T" in the last sentence were the reasons why I chose B.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 20:47
jabba wrote:
The conclusion indicates both Time and Money, whereas option A only talks about money.
This and "trips to and from Country T" in the last sentence were the reasons why I chose B.

But option B talks about the routes to and fro the 2 countries. I am not able to understand how that helps the argument?

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 21:50
Quote:
jabba wrote:

But option B talks about the routes to and fro the 2 countries. I am not able to understand how that helps the argument?

If the to and fro routes are same then the cost and time involved will also be the same.

As per the first statement, the train will save time and money only for D to T travel, but it then concludes that the train will save time and money for D to T travel as well as T to D. For this to be true, the missing part is that T to D travel will also be the same as D to T.

Hope this helps clarify the confusion
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Real Estate
Schools: Johnson '21
The flight from Country D to Country T takes 5 hours and includes two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 23:12
@sreyoshi001

Here is my take on this question. Hope it helps.

The flight from Country D to Country T takes 5 hours and includes two layovers along the way. The time by train is only 4.5 hours. To save time and money, vacationers from Country D should take the train on trips to and from Country T.

A. For most residents of Country D, the cost of getting to the train station is comparable to the cost of getting to the airport.
Explanation: First of all, the option has mentioned about "most residents".Hence we don't know about the cost involved in getting to the airport for the rest of the residents. Secondly, the option doesn't say anything about the time and cost required to travel between Country D and Country T. Therefore the cost & time required by residents to reach the airport or train station is not a relevant information to answer the question.---Incorrect

B. The routes for both the flight and the train ride from Country T to Country D are the same as the respective routes going in the opposite direction.---Correct!!!
Explanation: Routes to Country D and back to Country T is same for both flights and trains. Therefore, train is best option since it is cost efficient and takes only 4.5 hours to the destination.

C. The flight time of 5 hours is atypical for the trip from Country D to Country T.
Explanation: Travelling time by flight from D to T is provided however no info about the return trip---Incorrect

D. The train ride from Country D to Country T offers a higher level of comfort. ---Irrelevant---Incorrect

E. The airline that flies from Country D to Country T no longer offers bonus points that can be redeemed for a cash rebate---Irrelevant---Incorrect

P.S. I am not a GMAT expert!! :shh:

Thank you
Arjun
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 01:30
I second jabba.I too felt A was quite close.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 22:28
can you please explain why option B is better than option A
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 22:07
satyaathkuri wrote:
can you please explain why option B is better than option A

Hi satyaathkuri

Please refer the following answer by ArjunJag1328

Quote:
@sreyoshi001

Here is my take on this question. Hope it helps.

Explanation: First of all, the option has mentioned about "most residents".Hence we don't know about the cost involved in getting to the airport for the rest of the residents. Secondly, the option doesn't say anything about the time and cost required to travel between Country D and Country T. Therefore the cost & time required by residents to reach the airport or train station is not a relevant information to answer the question.---Incorrect

B. The routes for both the flight and the train ride from Country T to Country D are the same as the respective routes going in the opposite direction.---Correct!!!
Explanation: Routes to Country D and back to Country T is same for both flights and trains. Therefore, train is best option since it is cost efficient and takes only 4.5 hours to the destination.

Explanation: Travelling time by flight from D to T is provided however no info about the return trip---Incorrect

D. The train ride from Country D to Country T offers a higher level of comfort. ---Irrelevant---Incorrect

E. The airline that flies from Country D to Country T no longer offers bonus points that can be redeemed for a cash rebate---Irrelevant---Incorrect

P.S. I am not a GMAT expert!! :shh:

Thank you
Arjun

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 22:44
Hi -
It is important to understand the conclusion of the argument. The conclusion says 'To save time and money, take the train from D to T and vice versa'. Now, the evidence in the argument only talked about D to T. If you can figure out a statement that says that time and money will be saved even if you go back from T to D via train, then you have the answer.
Let us look at the 2 options :

A. For most residents of Country D, the cost of getting to the train station is comparable to the cost of getting to the airport. - This statement does strengthen the conclusion but again it only talks about the residents of Country D. What if the same is not true for the residents of country T ?
B. The routes for both the flight and the train ride from Country T to Country D are the same as the respective routes going in the opposite direction.
This choice strengthens the conclusion by saying that since the routes are same so whatever cost applies from D to T via the train or the flight, the same will hold true for T to D. Hence, taking the train will save both time and money more than the plane.

Thanks !
Please press kudos if my response helped you in any way !

Sreyoshi007 wrote:
Could someone please explain why the answer is B and not A?

Thank you in advance! :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The flight from Country D to Country T takes 5 hours and includes two &nbs [#permalink] 17 Sep 2018, 22:44

The flight from Country D to Country T takes 5 hours and includes two

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap