Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [40]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7773 [16]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [11]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The Forbidden City in Beijing, from which the emperors ruled by heaven [#permalink]
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Just to make it clear, the only real issue in this question is idiomatic, not strictly grammatical.

The Forbidden City in Beijing, from which the emperors ruled by heavenly mandate, was a site which a commoner or foreigner could not enter without any permission, on pain of death.

(A) which a commoner or foreigner could not enter without any permission,
PROBLEM: "Without permission" is the idiom, not "without any permission". Permission is kinda like water. You can't have a water (or a permission). "Any" is indefinite, just like "a", and it's wrong.

(B) which a commoner or foreigner could enter without any permission only
PROBLEM: The wording here makes it sounds as if they COULD enter as long as they DID NOT have permission. That's totally wrong. They can only enter WITH permission. Also, what is the "only" doing there? It should modify "enter", if anything. Here, it modifies "permission".

(C) which no commoner or foreigner could enter without permission,
ANSWER: Looks good.

(D) which, without permission, neither commoner or foreigner could only enter,
PROBLEM: It's unclear what "without permission" is modifying (should be enter). Also, the "only" is confusingly placed again.

(E) which, to enter without permission, neither commoner or foreigner could do,
PROBLEM: This one is just ridiculous.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Thanks for the explanation Tommy.
Can you also please explain why "on pain of death" in option C is not a dangling modifier?
Thanks in advance:)
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Re: The Forbidden City in Beijing, from which the emperors ruled by heaven [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey All,

"On pain of..." is an idiomatic expression. You'll have to look it up to get all the various details. It is a modifier that modifies whatever action was prohibited in the sentence. From a meaning perspective, it just means "If you do [whatever was prohibited in the sentence], you'll be punished with [whatever comes after the idiomatic expression]". It's not modifying a noun, it's modifying a clause, so it doesn't need to touch anything in particular, so it isn't "dangling" in any way.

It is definitely NOT a typo ("or pain of death"), just an idiomatic expression with a VERY specific meaning. Here it is in my mac dictionary:

on (or under) pain of the penalty for disobedience or shortcoming being

Hope that helps!

-tommy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
Kudos
it is B.
on pain of death, as explained is a punishment. A punishment will be given if a commit a crime(here , entering the city without any permission)..... it is like saying if u enter there is a death penalty...others are leaving out the "on pain" part
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
(B) which a commoner or foreigner could enter without any permission only
Construction "without any permission only" is grammatically incorrect. Use of "ONLY" along with "without ANY" is wordy.
(C) which no commoner or foreigner could enter without permission.
This construction is concise and conveys required meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

The correct answer is C.

B is incorrect because you are changing the meaning of the sentence and ignoring the prohibition on entering. B says it is ok for foreigners and commoners to enter. For this sentence to read correctly, B would have to read "only with permission" -- only would need to be earlier in the sentence.

The problem with the current sentence construction is that there is a double negative by using both NO and WITHOUT

Answer choice C indicates the prohibition on entering without a double negative.

Does this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Status:Build your own dreams,Otherwise some one else will hire you to build there's.
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Kudos
what is the meaning of sentence? i thought only B helped in deducing the correct meaning of the sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
mahakmalik wrote:
what is the meaning of sentence? i thought only B helped in deducing the correct meaning of the sentence.

The meaning of the sentence is that "The Forbidden City in Beijing was a place where no one could enter without permission" B is not correct since it completely changes the meaning, saying than one could enter without permission only
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 237
Send PM
Konstantin1983 wrote:
mahakmalik wrote:

The meaning of the sentence is that "The Forbidden City in Beijing was a place where no one could enter without permission" B is not correct since it completely changes the meaning, saying than one could enter without permission only

Dear Konstantin,
I have a doubt, would be really helpful if you clarify.
In option B , it says that you could enter without any permission only on the pain of death. There is no comma here
Whereas in option C what does the modifier "on pain of death "after "," refers to ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
B isn't quite as bad as that, Konstantin. Notice that "without any permission" is followed by "only on pain of death." So it's not really the opposite of C. However, there are two problems with B:

1) The word "any" is unneeded. You either have permission or you don't. You can't have a little bit or a lot of permission.
2) Although the overall meaning is the same as elsewhere--you'll be killed if you enter without permission--it is a bit odd to say that you could enter without permission only on pain of death. It sounds like that's the one way that it's okay to enter without permission, almost like you made a deal. "You don't have permission. Are you willing to die?" "Sure." "Okay, come on in."

Yes Dmitry perfect explanation. Now i see that the major issue with B is not a meaning. By the way Dmitry i always wanted to ask you: Are you Russian?=))
Own Kudos [?]: 7773 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
"On pain of death" is an adverbial modifier that modifies the preceding clause ("that no . . . without permission"). If it were a noun modifier, it would have to modify "permission," and permission is not "on pain of death."

This is a fairly unusual idiom that just means "if someone doesn't do the preceding, the punishment is death." We try not to say this too often. :)

And Konstantin, my great-grandparents were from Russia/Lithuania/Ukraine, but my efforts at learning Russian have been rather feeble. Это трудно!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
"On pain of death" is an adverbial modifier that modifies the preceding clause ("that no . . . without permission"). If it were a noun modifier, it would have to modify "permission," and permission is not "on pain of death."

This is a fairly unusual idiom that just means "if someone doesn't do the preceding, the punishment is death." We try not to say this too often. :)

And Konstantin, my great-grandparents were from Russia/Lithuania/Ukraine, but my efforts at learning Russian have been rather feeble. Это трудно!

thank you expert.

but this problem test "on pain of death" a seldom used idiom which is a key to answer for this problem. this go against the idea that sentence correction is more on meaning than grammar. i think this problem will not appear on new tests.
Own Kudos [?]: 7773 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
thangvietnam I wouldn't be so sure of that. The GMAT still tests idioms, and on harder questions they may certainly use rarer phrases. However, it's important to notice that in this sentence, "on pain of death" comes at the end, after all the action, and it isn't underlined. In other words, we can ignore it! Grammar and meaning would lead us to the same correct answer even if the sentence ended at the underline and "on pain of death" were simply replaced with a period.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:

That's exactly why i marked B. I wasn't aware of the idiom and found all other answers not incorporating the last part of the sentence.

Anyways, Really thankful for the clarification. New idiom learnt.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts