It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The fossil remains of Sinosauropteryx dinosaur recently discovered in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The fossil remains of Sinosauropteryx dinosaur recently discovered in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 13:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:28) correct 39% (01:45) wrong based on 74 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The fossil remains of Sinosauropteryx dinosaur recently discovered in China had a thin layer of outline around its skeletal structure suggesting that it had feathers. But critics state that the most common function of the feathers is to enable flight or to provide insulation. Since flight was not possible because of the enormous structure and weight of the dinosaur and insulation was not possible because of the outline’s position, the outline was not that of feathers but rather of frills.

Which of the following, if true, would, together with the information above, provide the best basis for the claim that the layer of outline is the fossil remains of feathers?

A) There were many other Sinosauropteryx fossils found in Germany that also had the same thin layer of outline.

B) Apart from the above discovery, many scientists believed that Protarchaeopteryx belonging to the same genera as that of Sinosauropteryx had feathers.

C) Many carvings depicting flying dinosaurs especially with structures such as those of Sinosauropteryx were discovered recently.

D) In many animal fossils, fiber from skin tissues form a thin layer of outline around its skeletal structure.

E) The chemical composition revealed that the outline was made of white and orange colors, strongly suggesting the display function of feathers as in peacocks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The fossil remains of Sinosauropteryx dinosaur recently discovered in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 14:36
C.

My reasoning-
A dsnt talk of feathers
B what scientists believed dsnt predominant the fact that wings were of feathers
D dsnt talk of feathers
E comparison of two entirely different species

Sent from my CP8676_I02 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 56

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 55

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The fossil remains of Sinosauropteryx dinosaur recently discovered in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 05:26
bkpolymers1617,

I could use the OE. I got the correct answer, but confirming my reasoning would be helpful!

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Re: The fossil remains of Sinosauropteryx dinosaur recently discovered in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 07:07
nightblade354 wrote:
bkpolymers1617,

I could use the OE. I got the correct answer, but confirming my reasoning would be helpful!

Hi nightblade354

How are you ?
I am struggling with this question could you please provide your reasoning ?

Thanks
Arvind

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 07:19
arvind910619 wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
bkpolymers1617,

Hi nightblade354

How are you ?
I am struggling with this question could you please provide your reasoning ?

Thanks
Arvind

Hi arvind910619,

I am doing well and I would be happy to share my thoughts. I hope you are doing well, too!

The fossil remains of Sinosauropteryx dinosaur recently discovered in China had a thin layer of outline around its skeletal structure suggesting that it had feathers. But critics state that the most common function of the feathers is to enable flight or to provide insulation. Since flight was not possible because of the enormous structure and weight of the dinosaur and insulation was not possible because of the outline’s position, the outline was not that of feathers but rather of frills.

Which of the following, if true, would, together with the information above, provide the best basis for the claim that the layer of outline is the fossil remains of feathers?

A) There were many other Sinosauropteryx fossils found in Germany that also had the same thin layer of outline. -- This says that other Dinos had the same outline. But if that outline had just been skin? This does not confirm for us our beliefs

B) Apart from the above discovery, many scientists believed that Protarchaeopteryx belonging to the same genera as that of Sinosauropteryx had feathers. -- The first contender in my book. It is out of scope because it talks about two distinct species.

C) Many carvings depicting flying dinosaurs especially with structures such as those of Sinosauropteryx were discovered recently. -- Contender #2 in my book. I had some trouble eliminating this one. This says that flying dinos were depicted on walls. These drawings look similar in structure to our dino. But how can we say for sure that it is our dino? It could be a similar looking dino. Further, how do we know the time period of the drawings? What if they had been drawn 50 million years before/after our dino? If this had said a picture of our dino, we would have a strong answer. But given this information, it is impossible to tell if this is our dinosaur.

D) In many animal fossils, fiber from skin tissues form a thin layer of outline around its skeletal structure. -- This weakens our conclusion

E) The chemical composition revealed that the outline was made of white and orange colors, strongly suggesting the display function of feathers as in peacocks. -- Here is your answer. Although it seems to compare Peacocks to a dinosaur, it really isn't! It is comparing the chemical composition of the material to show that it STRONGLY matches a feature of a known species today that has feathers. Because of this, we can infer that the dino did indeed have feathers. Though I am not thrilled, this was the way I justified it. It could be that the colors came from the skin and that the skin was used for display purposes. But given the strong relation, I guess this qualifies as the best of the worst.

Does this help?

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Re: The fossil remains of Sinosauropteryx dinosaur recently discovered in   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2017, 07:19

The fossil remains of Sinosauropteryx dinosaur recently discovered in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap