It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The geology of the Grand Canyon area exposes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
The geology of the Grand Canyon area exposes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 02:12
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

36% (02:13) correct 64% (02:36) wrong based on 108

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

27% (00:41) correct 73% (00:26) wrong based on 111

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

42% (00:46) correct 58% (01:13) wrong based on 104

The geology of the Grand Canyon area exposes one of the most complete and studied sequences of rock on Earth. The nearly 40 major sedimentary rock layers exposed in the Grand Canyon and in the Grand Canyon National Park area range in age from about 200 million to nearly 2 billion years old. Most were deposited in warm, shallow seas and near ancient, long-gone seashores in western North America. Both marine and terrestrial sediments are represented, including fossilized sand dunes from an extinct desert. There are at least 14 known unconformities (breaks indicating different eras of sedimentary deposits) in the geologic record found in the Grand Canyon area.

It is believed that uplift of the region that eventually led to this dramatic exposure of rock started about 75 million years ago during the Laramide orogeny, a mountain-building event that is largely responsible for creating the Rocky Mountains. In total, the Colorado Plateau, where the Grand Canyon is located, was uplifted an estimated 2 miles (3.2 km). The adjacent Basin and Range province to the west started to form about 18 million years ago as the result of crustal stretching. A drainage system that flowed through what is today the eastern Grand Canyon emptied into the now lower Basin and Range province. The opening of the Gulf of California because of seismic activity around 6 million years ago enabled a large river to cut its way northeast from the gulf. The new river captured the older drainage to form the ancestral Colorado River, which in turn started to form the Grand Canyon.

Wetter climates brought upon by ice ages starting 2 million years ago greatly increased excavation of the Grand Canyon, which was nearly as deep as it is now by 1.2 million years ago, when the river volume decreased at the end of that climatic period. Volcanic activity deposited lava over the area 1.8 million to 500,000 years ago. At least 13 lava dams blocked the Colorado River over that time period, forming lakes that were up to 2,000 feet (610 m) deep and slowing excavation of the canyon. The end of the last ice age and subsequent human activity has further reduced the ability of the Colorado River to deepen the canyon. It is unlikely that this amazing geological record will change substantially until major shifts in the river volume and/or direction take place.

Question 1. All of the following are discussed in the passage EXCEPT:

A) the geological history of each of the exposed layers in the Grand Canyon
B) unconformities in the geological record of the Grand Canyon
C) important historical events in the formation of the Grand Canyon
D) the depth and the size of lakes formed in the Grand Canyon
E) events that affected the speed with which the Grand Canyon was formed

Question 2. According to the passage, all of the following played a role in increasing the speed with which the Grand Canyon was formed EXCEPT:

A) the climate
B) seismic activity
C) volcanic activity
D) river volume
E) changes to bodies of water

Question 3. It can be inferred from the passage that:

A) the excavation rate of the Grand Canyon by the Colorado River is lower today than it was 5 million years ago.
B) volcanic activity played an important role in the excavation of the Grand Canyon.
C) the Grand Canyon was formed in part as a result of seismic activity
D) there has been no excavation of the Grand Canyon by the Colorado River over the past 1.2 million years
E) there are more marine layers than terrestrial layers exposed in the sediments of the Grand Canyon

[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #1 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #2 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #3 OA

Last edited by broall on 29 Aug 2017, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Re: The geology of the Grand Canyon area exposes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 16:09
GMATNinja PLEASE HELP. I went with A,C,B.

The third sentence in the last paragraph says that 'at least 13 lava dams blocked the Colorado River... slowing excavation of the canyon'. So it makes sense to say that while most of the other factors helped or had a positive effect on the formation or excavation of Grand Canyon, volcanic activity did not. This is also what makes Choice (C) right for Q2.

Why is it then wrong to infer that volcanic activity played an important role in the excavation of the Grand Canyon? I'm confused why Choice (C) wins over Choice (B) in Q3. What am I missing in my approach, and how do I refrain from making the same error again? Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 502

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 01:40
This passage contains so much of data that it is very difficult to complete it in short span of time.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 502

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 20

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 10:28
swapnak

If you read the passage carefully, it actually suggests that volcanic activity slowed the formation of the canyon, rather than play a major role in excavating it. This is also why the answer to Q2 is C.

"Volcanic activity deposited lava over the area 1.8 million to 500,000 years ago. At least 13 lava dams blocked the Colorado River over that time period, forming lakes that were up to 2,000 feet (610 m) deep and slowing excavation of the canyon."

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.89
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 11:10
Please help with question 3
Question 3) It can be inferred from the passage that:

A) the excavation rate of the Grand Canyon by the Colorado River is lower today than it was 5 million years ago.
B) volcanic activity played an important role in the excavation of the Grand Canyon.
D) there has been no excavation of the Grand Canyon by the Colorado River over the past 1.2 million years
E) there are more marine layers than terrestrial layers exposed in the sediments of the Grand Canyon

I was able to eliminate B,E easily.
Please suggest the excerpts from passage which helped arrived at C.
I marked A

never say never !
-Give a kudos if my answer helped you.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 89

Q3 explanation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 00:40
GmatDM2016

For Q3, C stood out to me the most, while the rest felt a little iffy. Here's what led me to think C is the best answer: "The opening of the Gulf of California because of seismic activity around 6 million years ago enabled a large river to cut its way northeast from the gulf" from P2.

How long did everyone else take to complete this passage - from reading the passage to answering all the questions?
Took me just a little under 8 min... And only got 2/3.
This passage was dense.
I was left with nothing when I initially skimmed the passage.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 89

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 12:08
rahulagrawal51 wrote:
ACC

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Can some one help me to eliminate option D in the first question.
Option D gives information on the depth but not about the size ,why can't this be the answer.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 14:32
sandeep211986

Question 1 is an EXCEPT question :

Since the passage talks about the depth and size of lakes in last paragraph - hence we can eliminate D
"At least 13 lava dams blocked the Colorado River over that time period, forming lakes that were up to 2,000 feet (610 m) deep and slowing excavation of the canyon."

Hope this helps !

never say never !

Intern
Intern
B

The geology of the Grand Canyon area exposes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 14:53
HappyQuakka Thanks for your response. I did this question again today un-timed and was able to get to C.
Initially, I took around 7 mins and I agree the passage was really dense. But Gmat passages are never simple ! :(

Below is my analysis for question 3 , it would be great if an expert can affirm-

Question 3. It can be inferred from the passage that:

We don't know. From passage we just know that GC was formed 6 million years ago and then increased excavation 2 mn and 1.2 mn years ago.
We cant say anything about the excavation rate is lower today.

Its opposite actually according to the passage - "Volcanic activity deposited lava over the area 1.8 million to 500,000 years ago. At least 13 lava dams blocked the Colorado River over that time period, forming lakes that were up to 2,000 feet (610 m) deep and slowing excavation of the canyon"

YES -
The opening of the Gulf of California because of seismic activity ...........................................gulf. The new river captured the older drainage .................. which in turn started to form the Grand Canyon.

No data available to support this

No data available to support this

Hence C

never say never !

The geology of the Grand Canyon area exposes   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2017, 14:53