It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The globalization of financial-services companies has been a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The globalization of financial-services companies has been a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 11:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Solution 1

Any time an underlined portion begins with a preposition - especially if some answer choices contain a preposition and some do not - it's likely that the GMAT is testing IDIOMS.

In option B, ‘because of allowing the transfer’ is unidiomatic.
‘because of’ must be followed by a noun.
The command subjunctive applies only when there is some ‘bossiness’ involved. ‘allow’ is clearly not bossy and we don’t need a bossy word here. Therefore, ‘allows that’ doesn’t make sense.

BECAUSE + OF must be followed by a noun only:
Because of you, I never strayed too far from the sidewalks... (remember that song?)

BECAUSE + [no preposition] will be followed by an action - a clause. Compare these two:
I couldn't play kickball because of my sprained ankle.
I couldn't play kickball because I sprained my ankle.
Since we're discussing the action of allowing the transfer of money, we shouldn't use OF. Eliminate A and B.
D contains a violation of subject-verb agreement: "the transfer of money have been placed..."
Between C and E, we have two different idiomatic structures: ALLOW THAT and ALLOW TO. Both of these could be correct, but in different contexts. Option C is unidiomatic.
Correct structure is –
allow X to do Y – infinitive
Structure of option D is incorrect
It allows X have been … Two verbs with no connector
it allows the transfer of money have been placed in a bank

ALLOW THAT is not very common in modern English, though it may still be considered correct by some grammarians. It is used primarily in the context of acknowledgment / belief: "I allow that she is very accomplished" = I admit or acknowledge.
If it's used in the context of permission, it must be used in the command subjunctive:
"... it allows that money... BE transferred..." rather than "is transferred." C is therefore incorrect.

ALLOW ___ TO BE ____ is the much more common version of the idiom. (More common versions of idioms are almost always found in correct answers). The correct answer is E.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 855

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: The globalization of financial-services companies has been a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 03:51
saurya_s wrote:
The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to money launders,
because of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be
transferred
to a branch in a more regulated one.

A. of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be
transferred
B. of allowing the transfer of money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction
C. it allows that money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction is transferred
D. it allows the transfer of money have been placed in a bank in a less regulated
jurisdiction
E. it allows money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred

Please explain

@e-gmat
daagh
Kindly request you to please see that in option E-Two independent clausea are joined by(,Plus because), but as far as my knowledge is concerned to connect two independent clauses we use ,+fanboys-in this b stands for but..
Kindly request you to please explain

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: The globalization of financial-services companies has been a   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2017, 03:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

The globalization of financial-services companies has been a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap