It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 14:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The GMAT is written in English. However, the average score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1795 [3], given: 289

The GMAT is written in English. However, the average score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2014, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:01) correct 45% (00:56) wrong based on 419 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The GMAT is written in English. However, the average score of native English speakers is below 550, which is considered a relatively low score on a scale of 200-800.

Which of the following does LEAST to resolve the above paradox?

A) The GMAT does not test English knowledge but skills such as analytical skills and logic.
B) The GMAT includes a quantitative section, which tests mathematical skills.
C) GMAT scores are calculated to create a bell-shaped normal Gaussian distribution, so scores are relative to others' performance.
D) The GMAT has a severe time limit, and for many test takers, time ends before they have solved all the questions.
E) About 60% of GMAT test-takers are American.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 1795 [3], given: 289

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8484 [5], given: 102

Re: The GMAT is written in English. However, the average score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2014, 13:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
goodyear2013 wrote:
The GMAT is written in English. However, the average score of native English speakers is below 550, which is considered a relatively low score on a scale of 200-800.

A) The GMAT does not test English knowledge but skills such as analytical skills and logic.
C) GMAT scores are calculated to create a bell-shaped normal Gaussian distribution, so scores are relative to others' performance.
D) The GMAT has a severe time limit, and for many test takers, time ends before they have solved all the questions.

Dear goodyear2013
I'm happy to respond. :-)

This question is cute but not very GMAT-like, as the GMAT is never self-referential. Also, I don't find the logic of the question compelling. If I were to give a grade to this question, I would give a D-.

The OA is attempting to exploit misunderstanding of statistical thinking of individuals vs. populations. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-criti ... pulations/

Here's my analysis. We are looking for the choice that "least" resolves the paradox. On an official question, this would mean that four answer choices contribute meaningfully to resolving the paradox, and one is clearly irrelevant.
(A) The GMAT does not test English knowledge but skills such as analytical skills and logic.
I don't know whether this statement is factually true about the GMAT, but in the context of the question, if the GMAT doesn't test English knowledge, then it would not give an inherent advantage to English speakers. This meaningfully contributes to resolving the paradox, and so is clearly not the desired answer choice.
(B) The GMAT includes a quantitative section, which tests mathematical skills.
Since the GMAT tests math, and since Americans are notoriously bad at math, this meaningfully contributes to resolving the paradox, and so is clearly not the desired answer choice.
(C) GMAT scores are calculated to create a bell-shaped normal Gaussian distribution, so scores are relative to others' performance.
Hmmm. This is a true statement about the GMAT. In almost any scoring system, scores are relative to others' performances. How does this explain why Americans have, on average lower scores? Yes, everyone is compared to everyone else --- but why do Americans come out looking bad in that comparison. This fact doesn't explain the paradox at all. This is a contender for the correct answer.
(D) The GMAT has a severe time limit, and for many test takers, time ends before they have solved all the questions.
Hmmm. Also, a true statement about the GMAT. How would the severe time limit specifically disadvantage Americans? If anything, folks who are native English speakers will have no problem reading the prompts, the word problem texts, etc., but folks who struggle with English as a second language might struggle to get through text quickly, and the time limit would be more harsh on them. It's not at all clear how this would explain why American score lower. This fact doesn't explain the paradox at all. This is a contender for the correct answer.
(E) About 60% of GMAT test-takers are American.
OK, clearly, if American make up 20% or 60% or 90% of the test-taking population, this doesn't explain anything about why their average is relatively low. This is the question author's OA.

Choices (C) & (D) are too close to being absolutely irrelevant to the paradox, which would make them correct answers. On a good GMAT "except" question, four answer choices are clearly and unambiguously relevant to resolving the paradox, and only one is entirely unrelated. Here's a high quality GMAT CR "except" question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3799

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8484 [5], given: 102

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1795 [0], given: 289

The GMAT is written in English. However, the average score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2014, 02:00
Hi Mike,
Thank you for the explanation.
About E), I also realised that the test-takers are the American national does not necessarily mean they are native English speakers.

Kudos [?]: 1795 [0], given: 289

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 15:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 40

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 14:13
goodyear2013 wrote:

Hi

Option C,D and E were competing and this forced me to make a blind guess between these 3 answer choices.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 40

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 04:37
Is this a Gmat format question?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 1961 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 08:53
Anazeer wrote:
Is this a Gmat format question?

This is not even remotely close to a GMAT question. Mike explained some of the reasons above - for one thing, there are three correct answers, which can't happen on a real GMAT problem.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 1961 [0], given: 6

Re: The GMAT is written in English. However, the average score   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2017, 08:53

The GMAT is written in English. However, the average score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap