GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 12:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The government has mandated people living below the poverty line....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The government has mandated people living below the poverty line....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 17:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (00:47) correct 18% (01:12) wrong based on 87 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The government has mandated people living below the poverty line to be provided with meals twice a day and their children to be provided access to free education in publicly funded schools.

(A) people living below the poverty line to be provided with meals twice a day and their children to be
(B) that people living below the poverty line should be provided with meals twice a day and their children should be
(C) for people living below the poverty line meals twice a day and for their children
(D) people living below the poverty line that they will be provided with meals twice a day and their children be
(E) that people living below the poverty line be provided with meals twice a day and that their children be

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
Intern
Intern
B
The government has mandated people living below the poverty line....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 17:44
The government has mandated people living below the poverty line to be provided with meals twice a day and their children to be provided access to free education in publicly funded schools.

The government has mandated requires that.
For example, if we don't have that, if we choose (A) then the meaning changes as follows:
The government has mandated people to wash their cars, as if the government has somehow mandated people to do something.

(A) people living below the poverty line to be provided with meals twice a day and their children to be
(B) that people living below the poverty line should be provided with meals twice a day and their children should be
(C) for people living below the poverty line meals twice a day and for their children
(D) people living below the poverty line that they will be provided with meals twice a day and their children be
(E) that people living below the poverty line be provided with meals twice a day and that their children be

I answered this question correctly by focusing on parallelism.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 23:40

Here's how I answered it in ~26 seconds:

Whenever a sentence has the word mandate used like it is above, the correct usage is "..mandate that" (If this fact doesn't intuitively jump out to you, take a look at an alternative approach I've listed below).

This means there's just 2 options I have to consider: B and E.

Next, in option B, "...should be" raises a problem. Why? coz in sentences that say "A mandated that something be done", you can't use "should". The grammar rule says that we should write it without the "should".
Correct: "X mandated that ABC be provided"
Wrong: "X mandated that ABC should be provided"

This makes it clear Option E is the right answer.

--------------------------------------------
Here's another approach that could have still helped you solve this:

"The government has mandated people living below the poverty line to be....."

Rephrasing for simplicity: "The government has mandated people to do something"

This makes it sound like the government is forcing the people to do something. That's a very different meaning compared to what's actually intended here. The government is not forcing the people to do something. The govt is creating a law to help benefit the people. So clearly, "...mandated people" leads to the wrong meaning.
If you're following me so far, you'll realize options A and D are out. That leaves B,C,E

While C doesn't have the above problem, if you follow the sentence for meaning, you realize its gibberish.

This leaves B and E. Follow my explanation above to eliminate B.
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 14:07
samuraijack256 wrote:

This leaves B and E. Follow my explanation above to eliminate B.

This is very specific.

The question deals with the subjunctive mood. Whenever the Subjunctive mood is triggered we require "THAT + Base form of the verb" and nothing between that changes the meaning.

The subjunctive mood is triggered primarily by the following acronym of words: PRRISMADD

Propose
Recommend
Request
Insist
Stipulate
Suggest
Mandate
Assert
Demand
Dictate

Secondly, ABDIOPRU can also trigger both the subjunctive mood and infinitive requirement
Ask
Beg
Desire
Intend
Order
Prefer
Require
Urge

Hope this helps.

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
GMAT Club Bot
The government has mandated people living below the poverty line....   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2019, 14:07

The government has mandated people living below the poverty line....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics