Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6119 [6]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Other
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Re: The government should enact a bill that would prohibit the sale and [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
chrtpmdr, this is NOT an assumption question. This is more of an evaluate question. As for (B), the second part talks about people smoking and making other people sick. This is not protecting people from themselves; this is protecting people from other people.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: The government should enact a bill that would prohibit the sale and [#permalink]
nightblade354 - I've been caught offguard with this question, could you kindly explain why we can discard B)? First of all, I had troubles categorizing this question type, are we having an assumption question here? Second, I found it really tricky to eliminate an answer choice such as B). It's phrased really vague and you could make an argument for this to be true.

The author never mentions direct health effects or disturbances on the train when defending his reasoning, he clearly states that the danger seems to be in people driving drunk after their train ride, a foolish action indeed. Doesn't he relie, with regards to his reasoning, on the principle that people need to be protected from their own action (driving drunk?).

I know it's kind of far fetched but I am really having a hard time clearly eliminating (B).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
broall wrote:
The government should enact a bill that would prohibit the sale and consumption of alcohol on commuter trains. Recently, the state, exercising its legitimate authority, passed a law to protect the health of commuters by prohibiting smoking on the commuter line. When intoxicated riders get off the train, get in their cars, and drive, the public is exposed to at least as much danger as are nonsmoking rail passengers who are forced to inhale cigarette smoke.

In arguing that alcohol consumption on commuter trains should be banned, the author relies on

Argument:
The author is stating that alocohol consumption should be banned in trains.
The author is strengthening the claim by drawing a comparison between smoking and drinking.
The least effect of smoking is on non-smoking passengers. If the least effect of drinking is atleast equal to the least effect of smoking, the author can fairly say that drinking is atleast as harmful as smoking.

(A) the fact that drinking alcohol is dangerous to one’s health
- the argument focuses on effect of the two on the public ( dangerous to the public). The argument does not describe the effect on the doer.
- wrong

(B) the principle that people need to be protected from their own actions
- again the argument focuses on effect on public, and not on doer.
-wrong

(C) the use of emotionally charged descriptions of smoking and drinking alcohol
- the reason for making the claim is factual based and not emotional.
- wrong

(D) the reader’s sympathy for the problems of commuters
- irrelevant

(E) a comparison between the effects of smoking and the effects of drinking alcohol
- as explained, the argument is stating that the least effect of smoking is as equal as the least effect of alcohol drinking = comparison between the two.
-correct

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts