GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 22:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Greek soldier Pheidippides runs the 40 miles from Marathon to Athe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
The Greek soldier Pheidippides runs the 40 miles from Marathon to Athe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 11:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:40) correct 26% (01:42) wrong based on 138 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Greek soldier Pheidippides runs the 40 miles from Marathon to Athens at a constant speed. Halfway through the run he injures his foot, and continues to run at half his previous speed. If the second half takes him 10 hours longer than the first half, how many hours did it take Pheidippides to run the second half?

A. 2

B. 10

C. 15

D. 20

E. 40
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
P
The Greek soldier Pheidippides runs the 40 miles from Marathon to Athe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 15:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
shyind wrote:
The Greek soldier Pheidippides runs the 40 miles from Marathon to Athens at a constant speed. Halfway through the run he injures his foot, and continues to run at half his previous speed. If the second half takes him 10 hours longer than the first half, how many hours did it take Pheidippides to run the second half?

A. 2

B. 10

C. 15

D. 20

E. 40

Several ways to answer this. Here's one:

Given: the second half takes him 10 hours longer than the first half

Write this information as a WORD EQUATION:
(Time to complete first 20 miles) + 10 hours = (Time to complete second 20 miles)

let x = speed traveled for first 20 miles
So, x/2 = speed traveled for second 20 miles

Time = distance/speed so, we take our WORD EQUATION and replace values to get:
20/x + 10 = 20/(x/2)
Simplify to get: 20/x + 10 = 40/x
Multiply both sides by x to get: 20 + 10x = 40
Solve to get x = 2
In other words, the speed traveled for first 20 miles = 2 miles per hour

How many hours did it take Pheidippides to run the second half?
Time to complete second 20 miles = 40/x = 40/2 = 20 = D

NOTE: For more information on using WORD EQUATIONS to solve motion questions, see our free video: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/913
For extra practice, try this question: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/914

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – Founder of gmatprepnow.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
P
Re: The Greek soldier Pheidippides runs the 40 miles from Marathon to Athe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 15:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shyind wrote:

A. 2

B. 10

C. 15

D. 20

E. 40

This is also a great candidate for CHECKING THE ANSWER choices.

How many hours did it take Pheidippides to run the second half?

A) 2
Impossible, since the travel time is 10 hours longer for the second half, which means the travel time for the first half = 2 - 10 = -8 hours (?!?)
ELIMINATE A

B) 10
Impossible, since the travel time is 10 hours longer for the second half, which means the travel time for the first half = 10 - 10 = 0 hours (?!?)
ELIMINATE B

C) 15
So, the travel time for the first half = 15 - 10 = 5 hours
This means speed for first half = (20 miles)/(5 hours) = 4 mph
Speed for second half = (20 miles)/(15 hours) = 4/3 mph
The question says that the travel speed for the second leg is HALF the travel speed for the first leg, HOWEVER 4/3mph is NOT half of 4mph
ELIMINATE C

D) 20
So, the travel time for the first half = 20 - 10 = 10 hours
Hmm, I like this already. The first leg takes HALF the time to complete. So, he must have been traveling twice as fast during the first leg. Everything checks out, so D is the correct answer.

To be safe, let's confirm the numbers.
Speed for first half = (20 miles)/(10 hours) = 2 mph
Speed for second half = (20 miles)/(20 hours) = 1 mph
Perfect, the travel speed for the second leg is HALF the travel speed for the first leg, AND 1mph IS half of 4mph
Great!
Answer: D

Brent Hanneson – Founder of gmatprepnow.com

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P
Re: The Greek soldier Pheidippides runs the 40 miles from Marathon to Athe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 21:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
shyind wrote:

A. 2

B. 10

C. 15

D. 20

E. 40

total=40miles
for the first 1/2 distance i.e 20 miles ...let speed be S and time taken =T
then for another 20 miles speed will be half=S/2 and time will be 10 hrs longer =(T+10)
as distance in both intervals are equal
ST=S/2(T+10)
T=10hrs.

thus for second half he must be taking =T+10==10+10=20hrs

Ans D
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 14:57
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: The Greek soldier Pheidippides runs the 40 miles from Marathon to Athe   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2018, 14:57

The Greek soldier Pheidippides runs the 40 miles from Marathon to Athe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap