Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [7]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
Re: The ground water level in County A has decreased drastically [#permalink]
I have an issue with the wording and the intent here - its a strange question, and OA could be either B or A. Both are strong contenders:

The ground water level in County A has decreased drastically over the last few years due to increased ground water consumption. It has been observed that households that do not harvest rainwater inevitably end up consuming greater amounts of ground water than households that use alternative water sources. Therefore, in order to curb the decrease in ground water level, the government has proposed a law making it mandatory for all households to install rainwater-harvesting systems.

CONCL: Need to boost underwater table through rainwater harvesting

Which of the following, if true, would best establish the validity of the government's proposal?

(A)Unharvested rainfall in County A does not significantly boost its ground water level due to the rocky terrain. Okay. But isn't this a fact about unharvested rainfall - that it cannot boost the water table either way?
(B)Multiple rainwater harvesting systems can store water not only for immediate consumption.This point appeared to weave in the household element as well - if each there were multiple harvesting systems, then it can store water NOT ONLY for immediate consumption - but for boosting the UG water table as well

Can someone explain why A is better?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Kudos
Madhavi1990 wrote:
I have an issue with the wording and the intent here - its a strange question, and OA could be either B or A. Both are strong contenders:

The ground water level in County A has decreased drastically over the last few years due to increased ground water consumption. It has been observed that households that do not harvest rainwater inevitably end up consuming greater amounts of ground water than households that use alternative water sources. Therefore, in order to curb the decrease in ground water level, the government has proposed a law making it mandatory for all households to install rainwater-harvesting systems.

CONCL: Need to boost underwater table through rainwater harvesting

Which of the following, if true, would best establish the validity of the government's proposal?

(A)Unharvested rainfall in County A does not significantly boost its ground water level due to the rocky terrain. Okay. But isn't this a fact about unharvested rainfall - that it cannot boost the water table either way?
(B)Multiple rainwater harvesting systems can store water not only for immediate consumption.This point appeared to weave in the household element as well - if each there were multiple harvesting systems, then it can store water NOT ONLY for immediate consumption - but for boosting the UG water table as well

Can someone explain why A is better?

Madhavi,

Option B never states - "but for boosting the UG water table as well"
It simply states that rainwater harvesting systems can store water not only for immediate consumption.
Rest information has not been provided in the options and we cannot assume it at all.

Rest for option A - if people can utilize unharvested rainwater efficiently, their reliance on ground water will decrease, leading to an increase in UG water table.
This is an immediate requirement for county A.
Hope this makes it clear and helps! :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts