Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [17]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [4]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [1]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
Send PM
Re: The growing demand for sports bikes, high powered bikes with full fair [#permalink]
Kudos
In option D a ,+ing modifier will modify the subject of the previous clause ( which is 'growing demand') so that usage should be correct right? or am I missing something?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The growing demand for sports bikes, high powered bikes with full fair [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO D
'growing demand' and 'has risen' are redundant in E
In option D rising from X to Y describes how growing demand has shocked the automotive experts.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [1]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Kudos
The growing demand for sports bikes, high powered bikes with full fairing and wide tires that appeal to youngsters, have surprised automotive experts and companies alike, which has risen from $3 billion in sales in 2010 to nearly $9 billion in 2020.

A) have surprised automotive experts and companies alike, which has risen from -> SVA error. "The growing demand" is is singular and needs singular verb, not plural verb. Incorrect.

B) have surprised automotive experts and companies alike, rising up from -> Same as A. Incorrect.

C) has surprised both automotive experts as well as companies alike, rising from -> as well as and alike are unnecessary. Incorrect.

D) has surprised automotive experts and companies alike, rising from -> rising (-ing modifier) modifies the clause, "the demand.....". It makes sense to me. Let's keep it.

E) has surprised automotive experts and companies alike, and has risen from -> I don't see there are two actions "has surprised" and "has risen". Incorrect.

So, I think D. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GRE 1: Q169 V160
GPA: 2.83
Send PM
Kudos
D is the correct answer in my opinion.

E incorrectly says that growing demand has risen---> that doesn't make sense. Demand has risen not 'growing demand'.

Verb+ing correctly modifies by describing the growing demand which shocked people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
Schools: ISB'22 (WL)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
A) have surprised automotive experts and companies alike, which has risen from
growing demand will take singular verb

B) have surprised automotive experts and companies alike, rising up from
same as option A
C) has surprised both automotive experts as well as companies alike, rising from
Both-as well as wrong idiom
D) has surprised automotive experts and companies alike, rising from
correct
E) has surprised automotive experts and companies alike, and has risen from
initiated an independent clause after comma and
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 4015
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The growing demand for sports bikes, high powered bikes with full fairing and wide tires that appeal to youngsters, have surprised automotive experts and companies alike, which has risen from $3 billion in sales in 2010 to nearly $9 billion in 2020.

C) has surprised both automotive experts as well as companies alike, rising from

IMO: D.
Option A and B are wrong, because of subject verb error. "The growing demand" is singular, so "has" should be the verb.
Option C: is unnecessarily wordy. Correct form should be "has surprised both automotive experts and companies alike"
option E is tempting. But problem with option E is " comma followed by and has risen from". Comma followed fanboys conjunction denotes an independent clause. And the rule says that an independent clause should have a subject and a verb. Verb: has, but there is no subject. hence option E is wrong.
In option D "comma followed by rising from...." modifies "The growing demand". Hence it is grammatically and logically correct.

I would request the experts and the forum members to analyse my explanation and correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V22
GMAT 2: 550 Q46 V20
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
The subject is growing demand, we require singular verb has. So Eliminate options A and B

both .... and (CORRECT)
both .... as well as (INCORRECT)
Eliminate C

D is incorrect. We require a verb describing demand. Verb-ing here is referring to prior clause.

E avoids any error and is the CORRECT answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 266
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
Send PM

The growing demand --> singular --> has --> A & B are out

C) has surprised both automotive experts as well as companies alike, rising from --> both X and Y

the growing demand has risen from $3 to $9 billion, that fact surprised experts but here the sequence is other way round. Experts surprised that has risen the demand from $3 to $9 billion. That is wrong.

I think E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: International Business, Technology
Send PM
The growing demand for sports bikes, high powered bikes with full fair [#permalink]
Edited

Originally posted by Green2k1 on 15 Jun 2021, 10:49.
Last edited by Green2k1 on 14 Jul 2021, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: International Business, Technology
Send PM
Hi generis

Thank you for the OE. I can see why E is incorrect.
However, still some of the points are not very clear for me from OE. Would appreciate your comment on the following points:
1. Whether "growing" is acting as gerund (action verb) or adjective (providing additional information about "demand")
2. From the OE, it appears that "rising" is acting as verb-ing modifier and modifying the preceding clause. But as per my understanding ,whenever a (,)+verb-ing modifier modifies preceding clause, it gets associated with main verb (surprised) and doer (demand). In this case, we can say that "rising" is logically associated with "demand" but it does not appear that "rising" is in any way describing or providing any additional information or result about "surprised"
- Also (,) + ing can not jump over main verb to only associate with Subject (demand)
- if we want, modifier to be only associated with subject, its better to use versatile noun + noun modifier. Which does not appears to be the case here.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts