It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 11:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

9 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1207

Kudos [?]: 820 [9], given: 0

Location: Taiwan
The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2005, 06:09
9
This post received
KUDOS
34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The growing popularity of computer-based activities was widely expected to result in a decline in television viewing, since it had been assumed that people lack sufficient free time to maintain current television-viewing levels while spending increasing amounts of free time on the computer. That assumption, however, is evidently false: in a recent mail survey concerning media use, a very large majority of respondents who report increasing time spent per week using computers report no change in time spent watching television.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

A. Whether a large majority of the survey respondents reported watching television regularly

B. Whether the amount of time spent watching television is declining among people who report that they rarely or never use computers

C. Whether the type of television programs a person watches tends to change as the amount of time spent per week using computers increases

D. Whether a large majority of the computer owners in the survey reported spending increasing amounts of time per week using computers

E. Whether the survey respondents' reports of time spent using computers included time spent using computers at work

Note: There are two questions available with the similar stimulus and same first line but different question. The other question (complete the argument) is discussed in: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-growing-p ... 80846.html

Kudos [?]: 820 [9], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 116

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 23

Re: The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2016, 06:02
i see most of us explain the solution in this case. I think it is better mention the tech. concept behind the answer. I mean how can we evaluate an argument in general, referring to the CR books and how to apply the concept in such case.
please help.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 23

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 647

Kudos [?]: 366 [1], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 06:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
Many a people are pointing out BLATANTLY WRONG options, based on god knows what criteria.
FIRST understand the argument.
THEN understand the question.

WE have to evaluate the ARGUMENT. THE ONLY WAY TO CHOOSE A CORRECT OPTION IN EVALUATE AN ARGUMENT IS TO GET TWO POLARISING OPPOSITE ANSWERS WHEN WE ASK A COMMON QUESTION

The stimulus talks about FREE TIME -the time that a person spend time on computer and thus cannot afford to spend watching TV.
But surprisingly the person is doing both.
how can this be possible.
This can only be possible when he is taking into account the time he spends at work as the time spend on computers.

CURRENTLY IN THE SURVEY HE IS BEING ASKED ""DOES YOUR TV WATCHING TIME HAS DECREASED BECAUSE OF COMPUTER"?

OBVIOUSLY THE PERSON WILL SAY NO, BECAUSE HE IS INCLUDING HIS WORK TIME.

THE CORRECT QUESTION THAT NEEDS TO BE ASKED IS "AFTER COMING HOME, DO YOU SPEND THE SAME TIME IN WATCHING TV AS YOU USED TO DO BEFORE COMPUTERS?"

Now if the person have a computer at home and uses it a lot,then he will say:- yeah man.. i don't watch tv anymore.. i surf and google and stuff.
Now if the person do not have a computer then he will say:- no man.. i watch the same programs , same time.. nothing changed.

THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO EVALUATE AN ARGUMENT. LEARN IT, UNDERSTAND IT AND USE IT. IT IS CALLED VARIANCE TEST.

SO the correct answer is E

For more info read LSAT CR book


chunjuwu wrote:
The growing popularity of computer-based activities was widely expected to result in a decline in television viewing, since it had been assumed that people lack sufficient free time to maintain current television-viewing levels while spending increasing amounts of free time on the computer. That assumption, however, is evidently false: in a recent mail survey concerning media use, a very large majority of respondents who report increasing time spent per week using computers report no charge in time spent watching television.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

A. Whether a large majority of the survey respondents reported watching television regularly

B. Whether the amount of time spent watching television is declining among people who report that they rarely or never use computers

C. Whether the type of television programs a person watches tends to change as the amount of time spent per week using computers increases

D. Whether a large majority of the computer owners in the survey reported spending increasing amounts of time per week using computers

E. Whether the survey respondents' reports of time spent using computers included time spent using computers at work

Note: There are two questions available with the similar stimulus and same first line but different question. The other question (complete the argument) is discussed in: the-growing-popularity-of-computer-based-activities-was-q2-80846.html

_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Kudos [?]: 366 [1], given: 36

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 484

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests
Re: The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 05:57
The growing popularity of computer-based activities was widely expected to result in a decline in television viewing, since it had been assumed that people lack sufficient free time to maintain current television-viewing levels while spending increasing amounts of free time on the computer. That assumption, however, is evidently false: in a recent mail survey concerning media use, a very large majority of respondents who report increasing time spent per week using computers report no charge in time spent watching television.

As per : The growing popularity of computer-based activities was widely expected to result in a decline in television viewing
Earlier
total free time =10 hrs week
Computer time = 5 hrs
TV time = 5 hrs

Now
total free time =10 hrs week
Computer time = 9 hrs
TV time = 1 hr

But as per the argument '

in a recent mail survey concerning media use, a very large majority of respondents who report increasing time spent per week using computers report no charge in time spent watching television.

total free time =10 hrs week
Computer time = 5 hrs
TV time = 5 hrs

Now
total free time =14 hrs week
Computer time = 9 hrs
TV time = 5 hr


Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

A. Whether a large majority of the survey respondents reported watching television regularly

Assume this: Majority of people
total free time =10 hrs week
Computer time = 5 hrs
TV time = 0 hrs

Now
total free time =14 hrs week
Computer time = 9 hrs
TV time = 0 hr


Then definitely it changes our conclusion.


B. Whether the amount of time spent watching television is declining among people who report that they rarely or never use computers

C. Whether the type of television programs a person watches tends to change as the amount of time spent per week using computers increases

D. Whether a large majority of the computer owners in the survey reported spending increasing amounts of time per week using computers

E. Whether the survey respondents' reports of time spent using computers included time spent using computers at work

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 776

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 267

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 23:30
The growing popularity of computer-based activities was widely expected to result in a decline in television viewing, since it had been assumed that people lack sufficient free time to maintain current television-viewing levels while spending increasing amounts of free time on the computer. That assumption, however, is evidently false: in a recent mail survey concerning media use, a very large majority of respondents who report increasing time spent per week using computers report no charge in time spent watching television.

Computer use.....Increasing....................Television viewing hours......decreasing (False)
Survey: Computer hours have increased BUT no change in time spent watching tv.

There can be two cases:
1) As mostly happens with us. Multitasking.........working on our devices and also watching tv.
2) Time spent on computers have increased but during work hours.



A. Whether a large majority of the survey respondents reported watching television regularly
REGULARLY: This word is inconclusive
I can watch tv regularly either for 1 hour or 10 hours.

B. Whether the amount of time spent watching television is declining among people who report that they rarely or never use computers
This is not our target sample. OUT OF SCOPE

C. Whether the type of television programs a person watches tends to change as the amount of time spent per week using computers increases
OUT OF SCOPE

D. Whether a large majority of the computer owners in the survey reported spending increasing amounts of time per week using computers
incorrect. It really does not help in understanding the amount of time spent on tv has increased or decreased?

E. Whether the survey respondents' reports of time spent using computers included time spent using computers at work
If this is the case then the respondents' have time to watch tv at home. So CORRECT.
_________________

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 267

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1159

Kudos [?]: 1177 [1], given: 415

Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 20:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
chunjuwu wrote:
The growing popularity of computer-based activities was widely expected to result in a decline in television viewing, since it had been assumed that people lack sufficient free time to maintain current television-viewing levels while spending increasing amounts of free time on the computer. That assumption, however, is evidently false: in a recent mail survey concerning media use, a very large majority of respondents who report increasing time spent per week using computers report no charge in time spent watching television.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

A. Whether a large majority of the survey respondents reported watching television regularly
B. Whether the amount of time spent watching television is declining among people who report that they rarely or never use computers
C. Whether the type of television programs a person watches tends to change as the amount of time spent per week using computers increases
D. Whether a large majority of the computer owners in the survey reported spending increasing amounts of time per week using computers
E. Whether the survey respondents' reports of time spent using computers included time spent using computers at work

Note: There are two questions available with the similar stimulus and same first line but different question. The other question (complete the argument) is discussed in: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-growing-p ... 80846.html


Computer-based Activities
 
Step 1: Identify the Question

The words useful to determine and evaluate the argument in the question stem indicate that this is an Evaluate the Argument question.

Step 2: Deconstruct the Argument

Comp expctd →  < TV, since assumed not enough free time
© False! Survey: > comp but same TV!

(Note: the © symbol is one way to indicate the conclusion in your notes.)
The argument debunks an expectation: people aren’t replacing their TV time with more computer time. They’re watching the same amount of TV and increasing their computer time. (Perhaps they’re using both devices at the same time?)

Step 3: Pause and State the Goal

On Evaluate questions, each answer will be in the form of a question or a “whether x is true” statement. The correct answer will address an issue on which the argument hinges, depending on whether that statement is true: one way, the argument will be strengthened; the other way, the argument will be weakened.

Step 4: Work from Wrong to Right

(A) If a large majority do watch TV regularly, then the argument is not impacted one way or the other. Likewise, if a large majority do not watch TV regularly, the argument is not impacted. The argument does not depend on how regularly the respondents watched TV.
(B) People who don’t (or rarely) use computers are the wrong group of people to investigate. The argument is concerned with people who are using computers (and who are increasing their usage).
(C) If people watch the same kinds of programs, the argument is not impacted. If people watch different programs, the argument is not impacted. The argument does not depend upon the types of programs people watch.
(D) Even if a large majority kept increasing their computer usage week by week, the argument is not impacted; the respondents still reported spending the same amount of time watching TV each week.
(E) CORRECT. If the increase in computer usage is occurring at work, then this increase wouldn’t be expected to impact TV viewing during free time at home. This information would weaken the claim that the original assumption was false, since the assumption was based specifically on computer usage at home. If, on the other hand, respondents are using computers more at home, then the survey does strengthen the claim that the original assumption was false.
_________________

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1177 [1], given: 415

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Posts: 91

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 74

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 18:55
ProblemChild wrote:
carcass wrote:
hylJelly wrote:
The growing popularity of computer-based activities was widely expected to result in a decline in television
viewing, since it had been assumed that people lack sufficient free time to maintain current television-viewing
levels while spending increasing amounts of free time on the computer. That assumption, however, is evidently
false: In a recent mail survey concerning media use, a very large majority of respondents who report increasing
time spent per week using computers report no change in time spent watching television.

(A) Whether a large majority of the survey respondents reported watching television regularly
(B) Whether the amount of time spent watching television is declining among people who report that they
rarely or never use computers
(C) Whether the type of television programs a person watches tends to change as the amount of time spent
per week using computers increases
(D) Whether a large majority of the computer owners in the survey reported spending increasing amounts of
time per week using computers
(E) Whether the survey respondents' reports of time spent using computers included time spent using
computers at work

OA:E.

I can understand E is the correct answer,but I can not understand why A is not correct.
My understanding for A is:If the survey respondents are never watching TV, so the conclusion of no change in watching TV has no sense(because they never watch TV), so if in this situation answer A can weaken the argument.

Please help me to clarify my understanding of A.



Tough question

basically the argument says that IF you spot the reason why the people dedicate more time to pc AND at the same time the amount of time dedicate to TV is more or less the same of before.....you have the right answer.

E says that the amount of time dedicated to PC is not a single time but shared, between two situations. In other words, if you have 10 hours dedicated to the computer and 10 hours dedicated to TV is not possible. BUT in E the time spent to PC is not 10 hours but 10 hours combined bewtween home AND office, so this time is not 10 + 10 but 10 combined. As result, you have time to dedicate to watch TV, eventually the other 10 hours

Hope is clear


I initially thought that this question is about representativeness of the survey group (typical mistake in survey type q-s). If the survey group didn't have any regular tv watchers than it would mean that it is irrelevant for the argument.

Someone please share its thoughts. Thanks in advance!


I will share my understanding here. Even I went with A initially. Let us see the variance test for option A.
Yes-Majority of television respondents reported watching TV regularly. This might seem as though it supports the conclusion. But this majority either watches 1 minute everyday(or lets just say they watch zero hours everyday as per your argument) or 18 hours everyday. both are possible. If it's 1 minute everyday, it doesn't negates the conclusion . If it's 18 hours, it strengthens the conclusion.
The No answer surely negates the conclusion.
It should support conclusion in one extreme and negate it in the other extreme. Hence A is wrong.
This is my observation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 74

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 47

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 02:10
One more for E.
2 minutes 33 seconds. :)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 484

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests
Re: The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 04:48
The growing popularity of computer-based activities was widely expected to result in a decline in television viewing, since it had been assumed that people lack sufficient free time to maintain current television-viewing levels while spending increasing amounts of free time on the computer. That assumption, however, is evidently false: in a recent mail survey concerning media use, a very large majority of respondents who report increasing time spent per week using computers report no change in time spent watching television.

CAT => decline in TV viewing
because people have limited time so either they will compensate for one or other activities
this is false.

Conclusion :- a very large majority of respondents who report increasing time spent per week using computers report no change in time spent watching television.
CAT => decline in TV viewing (have to evaluate this)
Pre-thinking:-
1> difference in terminology FREE TIME and time spent per week


Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

B. Whether the amount of time spent watching television is declining (among people who report that they rarely or never use computers)
people lack sufficient free time to maintain current television-viewing levels while spending increasing amounts of free time on the computer => so we are concerned with the people for whom amounts of free time on the computer ON THE COMPUTER IS INCREASED.

E. Whether the survey respondents' reports of time spent using computers included time spent using computers at work
No- the survey respondents' reports of time spent using computers doesn't include time spent using computers at work. THAT means something is wrong with total time considered.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 892

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 09:30
yup, the official question looks complex but clear. For example, unofficial questions will have "which is most useful to determine in this question", while official will have "evaluate". See the difference?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 892

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 09:38
Using POE, only E is the most probable to be the correct answer.
A has many flaws.

The first time I encounter this question, and got wrong. I hardly understand the difference between A and E.
Now, after heavily practicing, I can tell that E is the answer.

A is wrong for several reasons.
1/ watching regularly is out of scope, the conclusion is about no change in time of watching TV
2/ whether majority watches regularly or not does not help.
3/ A does not give new information in addition to no change in watching time.
4/ A conflicts with the passage. A says regularly while the passage says no change in time.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2017, 09:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q1

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.