GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The growth of the market for self-portraits of 19th century artists ha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
The growth of the market for self-portraits of 19th century artists ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 20:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:25) correct 54% (01:41) wrong based on 215 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The growth of the market for self-portraits of 19th century artists has not stopped increasing in the past twenty years, due to a concomitant rise in both the number of museums and in the interest of collectors in Eastern Asia. However, the fact that the market has been growing for the past two decades does not mean it cannot shrink as well. An international financial crisis may change the current direction the market is taking.

In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is a fact that has caused further occurences; the second is a fact which clarifies the first.

B. The first is a piece of evidence that is dependent on following pieces of evidence; the second is a prediction which limits the scope of the first.

C. The first is a fact that in turn has caused other facts to come into effect; the second is a conclusion deduced from both the first and other facts.

D. The first is a fact which resulted from following facts; the second is a premise which weighs against the first.

E. The first is a fact brought about by other facts; the second is the conclusion of the argument.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The growth of the market for self-portraits of 19th century artists ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 21:31
Between B and E.

IMO the answer should be B. The second is truely a prediction rather than a conclusion. And the prediction does limit the scope of the first. When it says limit, in my head I look at is as an opposition.

Thoughts?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
The growth of the market for self-portraits of 19th century artists ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 22:06
IMO B or D
Can someone please clarify:
Is the first boldface portion "fact" or a "piece of evidence"?
"" second boldface portion a "prediction" or a "premise"?
B. The second boldface portion is a prediction which limits the scope of the "piece of evidence"?
D. The second boldface portion is a premise which weighs against the first "fact"?
Is it D?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The growth of the market for self-portraits of 19th century artists ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 22:17
gmatzpractice wrote:
IMO B or D
Can someone please clarify:
Is the first boldface portion "fact" or a "piece of evidence"?
"" second boldface portion a "prediction" or a "premise"?
B. The second boldface portion is a prediction which limits the scope of the "piece of evidence"?
D. The second boldface portion is a premise which weighs against the first "fact"?
Is it D?

Hi,

The second part is most definitely not a premise. A premise is a fact stated in the argument. This statement is more of what the author thinks will happen. So it definitely cannot be a premise. Therefore, it can be a prediction or conclusion of sorts.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 22:31
Can someone please explain if the first boldface statement is a "fact" and why?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 22:37
gmatzpractice wrote:

Hi, the first boldfaced statement is most definitely a fact because the growth has REALLY not stopped for the past twenty years. As it is in the past, it is most definitely established, and is a fact.

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 23:10
IMO D..

B/W B & D i ll choose D ..
2nd BF is not a prediction ..A prediction is what someone thinks will happen in future. i.e A prediction is a forecast..
By saying it does not mean market can not shrink ...Author wants to say we can not take similar market condition for granted ..it is a an additional information author want to give us ..Hence,it is a premise ..and it weighs against the fact that The growth of the market for self-portraits has never stopped in the past years ...
Hope it helps !
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 23:35
gmatzpractice wrote:

First bold face is a fact as we can not challenge what is presented by the author ...Evidence & Fact are more or less the same thing and used interchangeably .

Hope it helps !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 00:24
A. ((The first is a fact that has caused further occurences)); ((the second is a fact which clarifies the first.)) - both portions are wrong.

B. The first is a ((piece of evidence)) that is dependent on following pieces of evidence; the ((second is a prediction)) which limits the scope of the first. - incorrect.

C. The first is a fact that in turn ((has caused)) other facts to come into effect; the ((second is a conclusion)) deduced from both the first and other facts. - incorrect.

D. The //first is a fact// //which resulted from following facts//; the //second is a premise// which //weighs against the first//. - correct.

E. The first is a fact brought about by other facts; the ((second is the conclusion)) of the argument. - incorrect.

Notice that the first BF is followed by due to. Thus, D is the only correct answer.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 12:34
IMO D.

The first is a fact. The second is a premise for the main conclusion that depends upon the opposite the already stated fact.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 15:22
Second Bold face is neither a fact nor a premise. So, Choices A and D are wrong.

Choice C is wrong because First Bold face is a effect/result and not a cause of subsequent fact. Also, second Bold face is not deduced from these two facts.

Now, final Choices are B vs E.

Tough call but IMO, Choice E explains first Bold face better than Choice B.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 21:47
Please Bunuel, can you give us the OE?
Thanks.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 21:58

Economist Official Solution:

The growth of the market for self-portraits of 19th century artists has not stopped increasing in the past twenty years, due to a concomitant rise in both the number of museums and in the interest of collectors in Eastern Asia. However, the fact that the market has been growing for the past two decades does not mean it cannot shrink as well. An international financial crisis may change the current direction the market is taking.

In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

This is a Boldface Type question, in which you are required to define the role of the two boldface sections in the argument. Read the argument and break it down using indicative words:
* The first boldface portion, or the first half of sentence 1, is a fact, a premise. It is followed by the conjunction due to, which describes a relation of cause and effect. This premise is the effect.
* The second half of sentence 1 is the cause which is also factual, a premise.
* The second boldface portion, or the end of sentence 2, is a general truth which weighs against the first premise. Since it is always true, it is a premise in itself.
* Sentence 3 is an example of a specific case in support of sentence 2.

A. The first is a fact that has caused further occurences; the second is a fact which clarifies the first.
Incorrect. The growth of the market described in the first boldface part occurred due to, or was caused by, more museums and more interest in Eastern Asia; this makes it the effect rather than the cause. You can immediately eliminate answer choices that incorrectly define the first boldface part; do not waste time reading the rest.

B. The first is a piece of evidence that is dependent on following pieces of evidence; the second is a prediction which limits the scope of the first.
Incorrect. While this answer choice defines the first boldface part correctly, it defines the second incorrectly. The second boldfaced portion is not a prediction, because it does not concern the future (it doesn't say the market will shrink). It is a general truth: what goes up can also come down.

C. The first is a fact that in turn has caused other facts to come into effect; the second is a conclusion deduced from both the first and other facts.
Incorrect. The growth of the market described in the first boldface part occurred due to, or was caused by, more museums and more interest in Eastern Asia; this makes it the effect rather than the cause. You can immediately eliminate answer choices that incorrectly define the first boldface part; do not waste time reading the rest.

D. The first is a fact which resulted from following facts; the second is a premise which weighs against the first.
CORRECT The growth of the market described in the first boldface part occurred due to, or resulted from, more museums and more interest in Eastern Asia. The second boldfaced portion is also a premise, one which cites a general truth: what goes up can also come down. Since the first portion was about the market growth, the second portion weighs against it.

E. The first is a fact brought about by other facts; the second is the conclusion of the argument.
Incorrect. While this answer choice defines the first boldface part correctly, it defines the second incorrectly. The second boldface part is not based on premises and therefore cannot be the conclusion of the argument.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 22:04
abhimahna GMATNinja
I have a question here. Can a general truth be regarded as a premise in itself.
I striked out option D because the second boldface in this option says that the it is a premise.
However actually I perceived second boldface as a general truth.

Please help.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 23:04
Evidence is a much broader term which contains facts as well. One should be careful while using the word 'evidence'.

Here D is a better option because the first Bold Face (BF1) is stating a fact that the market is growing. the following lines provide support for it.
BF2 is kind of a pessimistic approach to the support and, in turn, BF1.
Option D precisely says the same thing.

Consider giving a Kudos if you like the post

Sky is the limit. 800 is the limit.

~GMAC

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 23:13
warrior1991 wrote:
I striked out option D because the second boldface in this option says that the it is a premise.

Please help.

Consider the following Analogy.

Person 1- There is a 99% chance that the shipment will be delivered. We can forget about the consignment and just relax.
Person 2- 99% chance doesn't guarantee that the consignment will be delivered.

Person 1 is like Bold Face 1
Person 2 is like Bold Face 2

Bold face 2 cannot be considered a general truth because it is just a possibility or seeing the glass half empty.

Hope this helps.
Regards
V

~GMAC

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 07:12
vaibhav1221 wrote:
warrior1991 wrote:

Please help.

Person 1- There is a 99% chance that the shipment will be delivered. We can forget about the consignment and just relax.

Bold face 2 cannot be considered a general truth because it is just a possibility or seeing the glass half empty.

Hope this helps.
Regards
V

Can a possibility be a premise then???

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 06:52
warrior1991 wrote:
vaibhav1221 wrote:
warrior1991 wrote:

Please help.

Hope this helps.
Regards
V

I don't see why not. If that possibility is mentioned in the argument, then yes. Everything given in the argument should be considered TRUE.

Example: Many people believe that the Earth is flat. Those people backup their theory by saying that if the earth were not flat, then the Asia would be below the US, but that is not true.

This is not a great example and i am not even sure if it could be an acceptable example according to the GMAT norms, but I feel this should help you understand and mitigate your problems with CR.

Regards
V

~GMAC

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 08:59
vaibhav1221 wrote:
warrior1991 wrote:
vaibhav1221 wrote:
[quote="warrior1991"]

Please help.

Hope this helps.
Regards
V

I don't see why not. If that possibility is mentioned in the argument, then yes. Everything given in the argument should be considered TRUE.

Example: Many people believe that the Earth is flat. Those people backup their theory by saying that if the earth were not flat, then the Asia would be below the US, but that is not true.

This is not a great example and i am not even sure if it could be an acceptable example according to the GMAT norms, but I feel this should help you understand and mitigate your problems with CR.

Regards
V[/quote]

Thanks for explaining.

Re: The growth of the market for self-portraits of 19th century artists ha   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2018, 08:59

The growth of the market for self-portraits of 19th century artists ha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap