Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [3]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [2]
Send PM
Re: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jat wrote:
Why do we need differing instead of differed as stated in OA : E?

Can an expert throw some light?
Thank you,
Jat

Hello Jat,

It is clear from the context of the official sentence that we need the verb-ed modifier determined to refer to the preceding noun local times.

Now we need another modifier for local times that can be parallel to determined. The word differed most definitely looks like an appropriate choice because both these word look similar in structure as they both end in "ed".

However, differed does NOT work as a verb in the context of this official sentence. It works as a simple past tense verb because the local times themselves differed from city to city. A verb can never be parallel to modifier. Hence, differed use of differed is incorrect in this sentence.

We have authored an article named ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers that shows hot to distinguish between a simple past tense verb and a verb-ed modifier. The article can be reviewed in the following link:https://gmatclub.com/forum/ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Since we need a noun modifier that can be parallel to determined, we need differing, a verb-ing modifier that correctly modifies the noun local times. Although determined and differing have different structures, they are perfectly parallel because they both act as a noun modifier. At e-GMAT, we call such lists with not similar looking parallel elements Imperfect List. We have an elaborate article on the topic that can be reviewed in the following link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/parallelism-imperfect-list-142791.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mizar18 wrote:
Dear GMATNinja

Could you explain what is wrong with (C)?

(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

I think that (C) and (E) pretty much convey the same meaning, but (C) is a little bit wordier using "which + were" + determing // + differing. Am I right?

Thanks!

There's a subtle difference in meaning too. Take another look at (C):

"The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city."

Notice that "and" indicates a parallel construction. In this case, "differing" seems to be parallel to "determined." In a vacuum, that's fine -- they're both participles. But in this case, "determined" is part of a verb phrase, so the meaning we get is that the local times "were determined... and differing." The times "were differing?" That's an odd construction. Does that mean they're the same now? If that's the case, why not just write that they "were different?"

Now go back to (E):

"The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city."

The big difference is that the verb "were" has been omitted, leaving us with the parallel construction, "determined and differing," both participles functioning as adjectives describing the "times." This is better, as we no longer have to grapple with the peculiar meaning of the verb phrase "were differing."

Compared to (C), (E)'s parallel construction produces a clearer, more logical meaning -- in addition to being more concise -- so (E) is our winner.

I hope that helps!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Quote:
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed

(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

Hi AndrewN sir

There is lot of discussion above w.r.t. parallelism between determined vs differing /differed. I am confused with these below points:

Reasons for choosing E over D:
1. determined by vs differing/differed from
differed is not parallel to determined by because determined by - passive and differed from -active?- is it?
2. differed from vs differing from - are these both modifiers? why in some posts, it is mentioned "differed" is past verb but not verb-ed modifier. is it?
3. E wins over D because of meaning issue. Differing makes sense over differed from .is it?

In which above numbers reasoning is wrong? Please suggest.
I am little confused with lot of different explanations in above posts.

Please suggest AndrewN sir

Hello, imSKR. It has been a long day of a long workweek for me, so I am late at getting to this. You want to know how I quickly separated (D) from (E)? I did not bother with the grammar manual. Rather, I considered that and without a comma should join two like entities, and that those two entities should be presentable in either order. For instance, if I say, John and Sue went to the store, I can just as easily say, Sue and John went to the store. With this in mind, I considered just the first part of (D) and (E) in transposed fashion:

(D) The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, differed from city to city AND determined by...
(E) The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, differing from city to city AND determined by...

Choice (D) is clearly lacking. If we want to justify it, we fall back on adding a which in front of differed, but then we need a were before determined. By the time we find a reasonable way to qualify (D), our continuation would no longer resemble (D). Choice (E) wins by a long shot.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me about the question.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [2]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
gauravsirohi93 wrote:
It is kind of a grammar-based question with easy errors. "Which" is wrong as it is referring to the abolition of local times rather than local times. By this, you can eliminate options A, B, and C. In option D and E, "differing" should be there as local times still differs from city to city and not a past thing.

Am I thinking correctly? Could someone please assist me in evaluating the accuracy of my thought process?

Are you thinking correctly? Probably not. Here are two flaws in your reasoning.
Quote:
"Which" is wrong as it is referring to the abolition of local times rather than local times. By this, you can eliminate options A, B, and C.

Flaw 1: The reason for eliminating (A) and (B) is different from the reason for eliminating (C).

Obviously, "which" must refer to local times. Since "which" is positioned directly after "local times", we start by assuming that "which" refers to "local times".

These are the first parts of (A), (B), and (C):
(A) ... the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and ...
(B) ... the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and ...
(C) ... the abolition of local times, which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and ...

One big problem is that (A) and (B) have "which was", so WHICH is singular in (A) and (B), so WHICH can only refer to "the abolition". The abolition was not determined by the sun's position; local times were. That's the reason to eliminate (A) and (B).

(C) has "which were", so WHICH is plural in (C), so WHICH correctly refers to "local times in (C). Local times were determined by the sun's position; the first part of (C) is fine.

Look at the whole of (C) now:
(C) ... the abolition of local times, which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and and differing

If we substitute 'local times' for 'which', we get "local times were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing [from city to city]".
(C) has a problem, a more subtle one. (C) will be eliminated, but not for same reason as (A) and (B) were eliminated.

Quote:
In option D and E, "differing" should be there as local times still differs from city to city and not a past thing

Flaw 2: DIFFERING is not a verb here. It does not have a tense. Read the expert explanations earlier in this chain.

(E) is fine: DETERMINED BY and DIFFERING are both modifers and hence properly parallel.
(D) is not fine: DIFFERED is a verb and it cannot be parallel to DETERMINED BY, which is a modifier.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Raghav9906

Be careful about applying any absolute rules about comma usage. There are a lot of different reasons to use a comma! Typically, "comma + -ing" will create an adverbial modifier. That's not as common for "comma + -ed," since -ed modifiers are much more likely to be noun modifiers.

However, it is pretty safe to say that a noun modifier will apply to something nearby (usually, but not always, the preceding noun) and will NOT jump all the way back to modify the subject of the clause. Also, remember that if there is a clear and logical way to read the sentence, we should read it that way unless there is something pushing us to read it another way. In other words, if modifying the preceding noun makes sense, but modifying something earlier doesn't, then just DON'T apply the modifier to that earlier thing. If the modifier NEEDED to apply to that earlier noun, but that wasn't clearly indicated, then we'd have a flaw.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
louisbharnabas wrote:
Dear Experts,

I have 2 concerns regarding option E: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

1. The presence of the comma after local times.

The sentence can be broken into 2 as follows:

a. The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian, and to the establishment of regional times. - This is ok.

b. The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times. - The usage of comma + present participle modifies the entire clause as per MGMAT SC. This changes the intended meaning.

I feel the comma must be removed for this sentence to be correct.

2. The usage of present participle.

The sentence begins with "The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times" to state that the local times have been abolished whereas "differing from city to city" implies that the local times are differing in the present. The sentence seems to illogically suggest that the abolished (past) local times are differing from city to city (present).

Experts, please let me know if there are any errors in my reasoning?

Thanking you in advance.

Hello louisbharnabas,

Your query is pretty old, but I would still like to clarify your doubts. :)

Let's bring in the official sentence with the correct answer choice inserted in it: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

1. Please note that the entire modifier determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city is placed between two commas. If were to remove this modifier from the sentence, then we would remove the comma before differed and the comma after city. Hence, there is no question of differing working as comma + verb-ing that modifies actions and not nouns.

2. The thing to bear in mind is that modifiers do not have ant tense of their own. It is only the verbs that have tense. The modifiers go by the tense used for the main verb of the sentence. Since in this official sentence, the main led is written in simple past tense, both the modifiers determined and differing takes the same tense.

Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
r19 wrote:
I knew the reason that determined is a modifier and should be parallel with modifier not with verb .but I was not not able to guess "differed from" is a verb. How to check that ?
the test I used to check it is a verb is place" differed from" closer to local times and see if any action is done. in my understanding there was no action and just a modifier. Went with D and my answer was wrong.

Hello r19,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

In Choice D, the word differed is a verb because the local the local times themselves differed from city to city.

Let me present a simple example sentence to make the usage clear.

Local time differs in each of the six time zones in the Unites States.

My project differs from yours in its approach towards problem solving.

In both the above-mentioned sentences, differs acts as a verb.

Same is the usage of the word in simple past tense in Choice D. Hence, this choice stands incorrect because the modifier determined and the verb differed cannot be grammatically parallel.

Choice E rectifies this error by replacing the verb differed with the modifier differing.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM