It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 07:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 482

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 22:42
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970's.

(A) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than
(B) extinction; its numbers are now five times more than

Ron

if you say 'the numbers are more', that means there are 'more numbers' than before. that doesn't make any sense: there aren't more numbers, just bigger numbers.

if you say 'the numbers are greater', though, that means that the numbers have gotten bigger ('greater'). that's what the sentence is supposed to be saying.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 342

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 482

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 22:49
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970's.

(A) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than
(B) extinction; its numbers are now five times more than
(C) extinction, their numbers now fivefold what they were
(D) extinction, now with fivefold the numbers they had
(E) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than what they were

Numbers are greater not MORE.

what is wrong with E?
extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than what they were

its numbers => gyrfalcon's numbers are now five times greater than they (gyrfalcon's numbers) were
?

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 342

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 May 2017
Posts: 56

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 112

CAT Tests
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 22:06
Clearly, competition is between A and B.My logic might be incorrect but I discarded B on the basis of math logic. As we have to always ensure intended meaning of the sentence is not lost.

Greater - let's assume the number 2. What will be 5 times greater than 2 ? 5*2 =10
More - let's assume the number 2. What will be 5 times more than 2? 2+5*2 = 12

Now you can see the difference between both options and choose correct option accordingly. As per question value was 10 not 12.

Thanks,
Arpit

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 112

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3278

Kudos [?]: 3797 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 04:39
abrakadabra21 wrote:
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970's.

(A) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than
(B) extinction; its numbers are now five times more than
(C) extinction, their numbers now fivefold what they were
(D) extinction, now with fivefold the numbers they had
(E) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than what they were

Numbers are greater not MORE.

what is wrong with E?
extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than what they were

its numbers => gyrfalcon's numbers are now five times greater than they (gyrfalcon's numbers) were
?


Concision - the same idea is expressed in A using three fewer words, and hence A is better than E.

Kudos [?]: 3797 [0], given: 22

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3278

Kudos [?]: 3797 [1], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 04:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
NeverGiveUp- Arpit wrote:
Clearly, competition is between A and B.My logic might be incorrect but I discarded B on the basis of math logic. As we have to always ensure intended meaning of the sentence is not lost.

Greater - let's assume the number 2. What will be 5 times greater than 2 ? 5*2 =10
More - let's assume the number 2. What will be 5 times more than 2? 2+5*2 = 12

Now you can see the difference between both options and choose correct option accordingly. As per question value was 10 not 12.

Thanks,
Arpit


Both "more" and "greater" have the same issue:
5 times x = 5x
5 times greater (or more) than x = x + 5x.

If you want to imply 5x, then you should use five times the number or 5 times the amount (neither "greater" nor "more" should be used). The words "greater" and "more" both bring in the concept of addition, not multiplication.

Hence the logic you mentioned cannot be used to differentiate between "greater" and "more".

Kudos [?]: 3797 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 112

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 07:40
Could you pls explain the nuances between choice A and E, and why choice A is better than E.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 112

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2017
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.9
CAT Tests
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 15:48
sayantanc2k wrote:
AkshayKS21 wrote:
Quote:
(A) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than
(B) extinction; its numbers are now five times more than
(C) extinction, their numbers now fivefold what they were
(D) extinction, now with fivefold the numbers they had
(E) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than what they were


Here is E dropped just because A is concise? Do we have any solid reasoning for dropping E and selecting A?


The use of "what" creates a wrong comparison - the correct comparison is between two adverbs (time references) - "now" and "when...." ( as in A.)

In E, introduction of "what" makes the comparion between an adverb "now" and a pronoun "what". Alternatively E could have been constructed as follows:
....its numbers are now five times greater than what they were..... In this case the comparison would be between two clauses "its numbers are now" and "they were when..."


Thank you, sayantanc2k. Your explanation actually tries to explain why this "almost-correct" version of option E is incorrect.

Although I would note that in OG 2017, option E has a comma instead of a semi-colon, which provides an additional reason why E is incorrect. I think the reason they did this is because, as much as I agree with your explanation, E with the semi-colon is very ambiguous.

Consider these two sentences:
"Goku's power levels are now five times greater than the levels which he demonstrated in the past"
"Goku's power levels are now five times greater than what he demonstrated in the past"

I gather that the first sentence is better than the second, but the second one isn't necessarily wrong, right? Now is parallel with "in the past," which could be replaced with the more direct adverb "previously."
Also, while a dangling "what" is a little awkward, it is merely a substantive modifier, as it were, standing in for "the levels" in my example and "its numbers" in the OG example.

Thoughts?

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3278

Kudos [?]: 3797 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 07:22
Kunal14792 wrote:
Could you pls explain the nuances between choice A and E, and why choice A is better than E.


Already discussed:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-gyrfalco ... l#p1964424

Kudos [?]: 3797 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 97

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 44

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 21:04
I respectfully disagree with this analysis. There is nothing wrong with 'what they were.' I think people here are trying to justify the given 'OA', which I think actually belongs to another version of this question. No one has convincingly justified his/her choice of A over E. My take is that E is the correct solution.



abhimahna wrote:
AkshayKS21 wrote:
Here is E dropped just because A is concise? Do we have any solid reasoning for dropping E and selecting A?


Hi AkshayKS21 ,

'what they were ' is a wrong construction, which is almost always incorrect on GMAT.

Hence, E can NEVER be the right answer.

_________________

Give me kudos and see what happens to your GMAT score :-)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 44

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Sep 2017
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 09:54
Hello,

Since it seems to be a controversial question, letter E in OG 2018 Review is different from the original one; Follows the most recent option:

(E) extinction, now with numbers five times greater than

In this case, it is easier to agree with OA (letter A). 1) Letter E uses a comma, instead of a semi-colon; (2) In letter E, the second clause (the on beginning with 'with') has no verb.

Best,

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2017, 09:54

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 70 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.