GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 15:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Head of Operations, after seeing the damage caused by the corrosiv

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44
The Head of Operations, after seeing the damage caused by the corrosiv  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 18:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (00:52) correct 66% (01:03) wrong based on 334 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Head of Operations, after seeing the damage caused by the corrosive substance, shouted and berated the forklift drivers who dropped the barrel.

A) shouted and berated the forklift drivers who dropped the barrel
B) shouted at and berated the forklift driver who dropped the barrel
C) shouted at and berated the forklift drivers who dropped the barrels
D) shouted at and berated the forklift drivers who dropped the barrel
E) shouted and berated the forklift driver who dropped the barrels
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge
Re: The Head of Operations, after seeing the damage caused by the corrosiv  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 22:41
This question is logically flawed with respect to the answer IMO.

A forklift requires one driver. :) So if we use "drivers" then it should be "barrels"...

Well GMAT and my logic. :lol:

Regards,
Dom.
Director
Director
G
Re: The Head of Operations, after seeing the damage caused by the corrosiv  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 23:54
Mascarfi wrote:
The Head of Operations, after seeing the damage caused by the corrosive substance, shouted and berated the forklift drivers who dropped the barrel.

Yes, I concur with the opinion made above. BCD all three could be correct depending on the context.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 19:31
wow
this is the first time when I see such a question. This is very strange, especially when you look at the source of the question.
first of all, original sentence sets the tone. There are more drivers and only 1 barrel.
Shouted and berated - incorrect. Shouted AT - ok

out - shouted should be followed by AT
1 driver - incorrect
1 barrel - not barrels - out
good
1 driver - more barrels - out

IS IT REALLY THE ECONOMIST's QUESTION????????
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 21:16
Mascarfi wrote:

A & E are out.
But what could be wrong with either of B,C and D???
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 22:10
The logic is that one forklift will have one driver at a given time and not more than one. Therefore, any reference to the plural ‘drivers’ is illogical. However, one driver may take one barrel or more than one barrel in a take, so the plural barrels or the singular barrel is immaterial to the context. However, idiomatically, shouting at somebody is more appropriate than simply shouting somebody. So, essentially the correct choice must have ‘shout at’ and the singular ‘driver’.

Choices B and E both use the singular ‘driver’, but E lacks the idiomatic ‘shout at’. Therefore, B, I reckon.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 16:36
Is this really 700 level question because issues with wrong options were very silly.

Mascarfi wrote:

A) shouted (missing AT) and berated the forklift drivers who dropped the barrel
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 23:36
daagh wrote:
The logic is that one forklift will have one driver at a given time and not more than one. Therefore, any reference to the plural ‘drivers’ is illogical. However, one driver may take one barrel or more than one barrel in a take, so the plural barrels or the singular barrel is immaterial to the context. However, idiomatically, shouting at somebody is more appropriate than simply shouting somebody. So, essentially the correct choice must have ‘shout at’ and the singular ‘driver’.

Choices B and E both use the singular ‘driver’, but E lacks the idiomatic ‘shout at’. Therefore, B, I reckon.

on that note, is it wrong to say 'bus drivers'? or 'car drivers'? if so, how can we refer to drivers of different buses (in this case, forklifts).
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE: Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 10:15
daagh wrote:

I try not to use too much logic on GMAT questions. I missed a DS once because oranges were divided into baskets-clearly more then one, yeah? No, one was an option I should have tested.

Keeping the meaning from the original sentence, multiple drivers, one barrel, D. Maybe one of the drivers is training? Clearly not doing a great job at it... :-D
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 11:39
For the sake of academic discussion:
My point is that there was only one driver who drove one forklift. It is too much to think that there were several drivers in one forklift and they all joined to drop one barrel. In that vein, we can not also say there were several forklifts and several drivers who all joined to drop a barrel or barrels jointly from their own individual forklifts. Alternatively, when we want to say that there were several forklifts and several drivers, we can say 'the forklifts’ drivers’?

When there is a mishap, we will blame the driver who drove the bus and not all the drivers. In any case, how many are required to run a bus at any given time? One or several?

2. Can we also say that there were two drivers in a forklift and one of them was a rookie while the other was an old hand, and the Head selectively chose to berate the trainee while sparing the experienced hand? I do not think there can be an end to such a fancy.

The point of SC is not to jump out of the box in order to justify something.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 11:48
daagh wrote:
For the sake of academic discussion:
My point is that there was only one driver who drove one forklift. It is too much to think that there were several drivers in one forklift and they all joined to drop one barrel. In that vein, we can not also say there were several forklifts and several drivers who all joined to drop a barrel or barrels jointly from their own individual forklifts. Alternatively, when we want to say that there were several forklifts and several drivers, we can say 'the forklifts’ drivers’?

When there is a mishap, we will blame the driver who drove the bus and not all the drivers. In any case, how many are required to run a bus at any given time? One or several?

2. Can we also say that there were two drivers in a forklift and one of them was a rookie while the other was an old hand, and the Head selectively chose to berate the trainee while sparing the experienced hand? I do not think there can be an end to such a fancy.

The point of SC is not to jump out of the box in order to justify something.

For the sake of continuing an academic discussion...

If we agree that there can be driver or drivers that are being yelled at, it makes sense to preserve the original meaning. Multiple drivers were being yelled at for dropping a single barrel. Changing it to a single driver is a different meaning (especially to the other driver who is no longer being yelled at!), which is why I think the OA is D.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 11:57
I have never agreed to several drivers in a forklift. But you are welcome to think your way, although we may disagree to agree.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 12:01
daagh wrote:
I have never agreed to several drivers in a forklift. But you are welcome to think your way, although we may disagree to agree.

So you think the OA is incorrect then?
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 12:14
I most certainly feel so. After all, this is not an OG topic that we have to stand by for the correctness of the OA.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 12:26
daagh wrote:
I most certainly feel so. After all, this is not an OG topic that we have to stand by for the correctness of the OA.

True. I've come across a number of questions where the OA doesn't make much sense.

But in this case, the OA does seem to be grammatically correct. You disagree with it because of what you know about forklifts (there can't be more then one driver), unless I'm mischaracterizing your reasoning. To my knowledge, that's not a valid reason to strike a SC answer. Now if the verb tense didn't agree with two drivers, I would wholeheartedly agree with you.

I mean really, they have to make it fair. I know jack **** about forklifts. If the sentence read that the manager yelled at all of the 14 drivers, I would think they probably deserved it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 19:38
Mascarfi wrote:

So really - B or D? I have chosen B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 13:27
DharLog wrote:
Mascarfi wrote:

So really - B or D? I have chosen B.

B makes the most sense with regards to logic. However, D is most similar to the original answer (A). This is the only possible explanation why D is correct in my honest opinion.

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 15:23
I also chose B in this question, but may be this is some kind of forklift with two drivers :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
CAT Tests
The Head of Operations, after seeing the damage caused by the corrosiv  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 07:29
What can I say...Economist Gmat...the source of very poor quality question again. Economist Gmat almost always gives you a question that asks you to make desicions that GMAT would never ask, hence defocusing you from the real aspects that GMAT will test you. Just try to avoid SC questions with Economist Gmat tag. Peace.

I'm looking for a study buddy in NY, who is aiming at 700+. PM me.

The Head of Operations, after seeing the damage caused by the corrosiv &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jul 2018, 07:29

The Head of Operations, after seeing the damage caused by the corrosiv

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap