Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [105]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [32]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [12]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Question:
The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years after the wives of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer, New York, were found to have borne children with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of their pregnancies was normal.
Meaning:
The herbicide was produced even in 1979 which was 3 years after the wives of workers who produce the chemical in Rensselaer were found to have had miscarriages and to have borne children with Heart defects. Also, none of the pregnancies was normal.

Error Analysis:
A) to have borne children with heart defects or miscarriages- This does not clearly imply that the wives were found to have miscarriages. Instead it creates an ambiguity by incorrectly implying that the wives borne children with heart defects or borne children with miscarriages. -Eliminate
B) similar error as in (A). It incorrectly implies that children were born with heart defects or children were born with miscarriages. - Eliminate
C) *Either.. or parallelism is not maintained.
* none of the pregnancies is more precise than without any of their pregnancies
*incorrect use of being
D)*Correct use of either.. or.. parallelism
*Correctly connects 2 independent clauses that are closely related in terms of subject matter using a semicolon. -- Correct
E)Same errors as in option (C)

IMO: OPTION D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: IMD '21 (S)
Send PM
Re: The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years [#permalink]
Error is meaning wives has children with heart defect or miscarriage , it looks like children have miscarriage

A have same error with ....were found ... And none of their ...another errot
B same as A
C either x or y error and being make things pasisve
D perfect
E either x or y

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
aragonn wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 8: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years after the wives of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer, New York, were found to have borne children with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of their pregnancies was normal.

(A) to have borne children with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of their pregnancies was
(B) to have had children born with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of the pregnancies was
(C) either to have had children with heart defects or miscarriages, without any of their pregnancies being
(D) either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects; none of the pregnancies was
(E) either to have had miscarriages or children born with heart defects, without any of their pregnancies being

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

IMO B

A) ambiguous antecedent for "their" --- Incorrect
B)Concise and in accordance with the original sentence--- Correct
C) Same as A ---- Incorrect
D) Wordy- unnecessary use of either..or...-- Incorrect
E) Same as A-- Incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
Send PM

(A) to have borne children with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of their pregnancies was
(B) to have had children born with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of the pregnancies was
(C) either to have had children with heart defects or miscarriages, without any of their pregnancies being
(D) either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects; none of the pregnancies was
(E) either to have had miscarriages or children born with heart defects, without any of their pregnancies being

The wives were found - 1) to have had children borne with heart defects
2) to have borne children with heart defects

a. Use of their is ambiguous
b. "or miscarriages" is not connected with to have, making the choice incorrect.
c and e. Not parallel.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

(A) to have borne children with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of their pregnancies was - Illogical meaning - children did not have miscarriages
(B) to have had children born with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of the pregnancies was - Illogical meaning - children did not have miscarriages
(C) either to have had children with heart defects or miscarriages, without any of their pregnancies being - parallelism issue - either to have had children with heart defects or miscarriages ; Illogical meaning - children did not have miscarriages
(D) either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects; none of the pregnancies was - Correct
(E) either to have had miscarriages or children born with heart defects, without any of their pregnancies being - parallelism issue - either to have had miscarriages or children born with heart defects

Answer D

none of the pregnancies was normal -- I thought none of the pregnancies should take plural verb were (Though did not face an issue since that wasn't a decision point in this question)

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , DmitryFarber , ChiranjeevSingh , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , other experts - please enlighten
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
was conflicted between B and D. but seems like B has modifier error.
D is the best option.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Send PM
aragonn wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 8: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Official Explanation:

Choices A and B are incorrect because with governs both heart defects and, miscarriages; in other words, choice A says that the children and not the women suffered the miscarriages. For the sentence to make sense, miscarriages must be the object of a verb that has wives as its subject. Also, their in choices A, C, and E is ambiguous because it is far from its referent, wives. Choices C and E lack parallel construction: a verb form like the one after either should appear after or. Choice D is the best answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
aragonn daagh shouldnt it be "none of the pregnancies WERE.... " ?? None is one of the SANAM. and hence depends on the main subject (pregnancies)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AdityaHongunti wrote:
aragonn daagh shouldnt it be "none of the pregnancies WERE.... " ?? None is one of the SANAM. and hence depends on the main subject (pregnancies)

Rule - None is another exception. It can take either singular or plural. Ex - None of the ties fit this shirt. (Ties is plural, so the verb is plural.) But when none refers to a singular, uncountable noun, the verb is singular: None of the pizza has been eaten.

My take is that 'pregnancies' is uncountable over here. I mean everyone has one pregnancy ? pronouncing it one/two is not making much sense. Better phrase should be pregnancy of two people. I think It should be singular. Though I will take daagh sir's opinion too.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Surprisingly i chose D BUT i have a doubt in one verb :)

As far as i know there is difference between verbs Born Vs Borne

We use "born" in the phrase be born to indicate that a child has entered this crazy world :)

"Borne" is past participle of verb "bear" i.e. bear, bore, borne - means to tolerate something. I dont get how can this verb be used in the context below (in option D) :?

gmatbusters you could include "born" vs "borne" into your collection of confusable words :grin:

(A) to have borne children with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of their pregnancies was ( incorrect usage of verb Borne + pronoun "their" ambiguity)
(B) to have had children born with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of the pregnancies was ( "either" is missing )
(C) either to have had children with heart defects or miscarriages, without any of their pregnancies being ( pronoun "their" ambiguity )
(D) either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects; none of the pregnancies was (CORRECT SV agreement + "either ... or" )
(E) either to have had miscarriages or children born with heart defects, without any of their pregnancies being ( INCORRECT pronoun "their" ambiguity and many other defects :) )

generis may be you can enlighten me ? :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
aragonn wrote:
AdityaHongunti wrote:

Rule - None is another exception. It can take either singular or plural. Ex - None of the ties fit this shirt. (Ties is plural, so the verb is plural.) But when none refers to a singular, uncountable noun, the verb is singular: None of the pizza has been eaten.

My take is that 'pregnancies' is uncountable over here. I mean everyone has one pregnancy ? pronouncing it one/two is not making much sense. Better phrase should be pregnancy of two people. I think It should be singular. Though I will take daagh sir's opinion too.

I do not think that pregnancies here is uncountable :
"wives of workers.... " the subject is wives ( plural of wife) , which makes sense because wives OF WORKERS makes sense. Now if "pregnancies" were uncountable, Wives would have to be too. Wives = multiple woman. Countable. They will have their own pregnancies . SO the author is saying pregnancies(individual pregnancy of each ) of those wives of workers.....

GMATNinja VeritasPrepBrian DmitryFarber GMATNinjaTwo chetan2u
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [5]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos