Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [50]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1342 [6]
Given Kudos: 8
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [6]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [1]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Re: The highway from Ipswich to Rodway is currently overcrowded with traff [#permalink]
Kudos
bschool83 wrote:
The highway from Ipswich to Rodway is currently overcrowded with traffic, which deters potential customers from visiting Rodway's stores. The congestion has gotten so bad that many of the stores in Rodway are struggling to survive. Meanwhile, in Ipswich, the stores are thriving since they widened the road to Martin. Thus, to alleviate congestion and save Rodway's stores, the road between Ipswich and Rodway should be widened.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the argument above?

The construction necessary to widen the road will block an additional lane of traffic, temporarily adding to the congestion.
>It's not mentioned whether it's a short term or long term plan. Construction may cause temporary damage but long term benefits. Not a great weakener.

The stores in Rodway are only profitable during the holiday shopping season.
>This is an additional info unrelated to congestion. What if the passage talks about holiday shopping season itself. Clogging can hurt the stores in any season, more so during holiday shopping season. Ignore.

Martin is a thriving metropolis whose residents have several times the purchasing power of those of Ipswich.
>Correct. Even a small customer base can contribute to significant profits. Congestion could only be a remote possibility.

The owners of Rodway's stores are spending their revenue on advertising and marketing rather than on purchasing new merchandise.
>Not mentioned in the passage whether purchasing new merchandise is more important than advertising and marketing. Who knows if the Rodway's stores already have surplus inventory and thus following this strategy. Not too strong to suggest an alternate cause for the stores' struggle.

Martin's stores have only experienced a slight increase in profits since the road from Ipswich was widened.
>Martin's stores may not be selling the stuff that Ipswich's customers need more, or there may be other factors that's compelling Ipswich's customers to choose Rodwell over Martin.

Rodway's stores are catering to Ipswich's customers' needs.
Ipswich's stores are catering to Martin's customers' needs.

"C" says it may not be the widening of road that's making Ipswich's stores more profitable, it could actually be the affluence of their Martn's customers that's effecting Ipswich's stores profitability. So, assuming the easing of congestion as a factor for profitability of Martins stores and taking an analogous corrective action could be a bad strategy for Rodway.

Ans: "C"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing Analytics/Consulting
Schools:Kellogg
 Q51  V36
Send PM
Re: The highway from Ipswich to Rodway is currently overcrowded with traff [#permalink]
Kudos
fluke wrote:
bschool83 wrote:
The highway from Ipswich to Rodway is currently overcrowded with traffic, which deters potential customers from visiting Rodway's stores. The congestion has gotten so bad that many of the stores in Rodway are struggling to survive. Meanwhile, in Ipswich, the stores are thriving since they widened the road to Martin. Thus, to alleviate congestion and save Rodway's stores, the road between Ipswich and Rodway should be widened.

The construction necessary to widen the road will block an additional lane of traffic, temporarily adding to the congestion.
>It's not mentioned whether it's a short term or long term plan. Construction may cause temporary damage but long term benefits. Not a great weakener.

The stores in Rodway are only profitable during the holiday shopping season.
>This is an additional info unrelated to congestion. What if the passage talks about holiday shopping season itself. Clogging can hurt the stores in any season, more so during holiday shopping season. Ignore.

Martin is a thriving metropolis whose residents have several times the purchasing power of those of Ipswich.
>Correct. Even a small customer base can contribute to significant profits. Congestion could only be a remote possibility.

The owners of Rodway's stores are spending their revenue on advertising and marketing rather than on purchasing new merchandise.
>Not mentioned in the passage whether purchasing new merchandise is more important than advertising and marketing. Who knows if the Rodway's stores already have surplus inventory and thus following this strategy. Not too strong to suggest an alternate cause for the stores' struggle.

Martin's stores have only experienced a slight increase in profits since the road from Ipswich was widened.
>Martin's stores may not be selling the stuff that Ipswich's customers need more, or there may be other factors that's compelling Ipswich's customers to choose Rodwell over Martin.

Rodway's stores are catering to Ipswich's customers' needs.

Ipswich's stores are catering to Martin's customers' needs.

"C" says it may not be the widening of road that's making Ipswich's stores more profitable, it could actually be the affluence of their Martn's customers that's effecting Ipswich's stores profitability. So, assuming the easing of congestion as a factor for profitability of Martins stores and taking an analogous corrective action could be a bad strategy for Rodway.

Ans: "C"

Somehow, I am not at all convinced with the approach followed to say C is a better option..

Premise says: Meanwhile, in Ipswich, the stores are thriving since they widened the road to Martin

Clearly, the profits have increased manifold only after the roads have been widened ..

The purchasing power of residents from Martin in option C is stated as a fact, which is independent of the time frame i.e. residents from Martin have always had higher purchasing power and will continue to have as compared to those in Ipswich ..
This means that widening of roads has actually helped in increasing profits .. Your thoughts ??

Further, I am not sure how can we infer the bold part above (Rodway's stores are catering to Ipswich's customers' needs)..

I say, that Ipswich and Roadway both are just small towns and residents from Martin are the sole customers for the stores in both the towns.. Can we refute this statement from the stimulus ??

Overall, I am not sure which is the right option, however, on the test day I would mark option D and move on...

P.S -> bschool83 dude ur questions r really like shot gun bullets .. dey claim victims at regular intervals .. :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
The argument is : Widening the road to Ipswich will help in increasing the profits.
In my opinion, the correct answer would be the one which would say that the there is some other factor (and not the road) which is the reason for lower profits

I think only C and D make the cut. However, C is still in some way related to the road (as the residents of Martin have to come to Ipswich using the road).

So, D is the choice for me.

OA and OE please.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
IndianExpress wrote:
The argument is : Widening the road to Ipswich will help in increasing the profits.
In my opinion, the correct answer would be the one which would say that the there is some other factor (and not the road) which is the reason for lower profits

I think only C and D make the cut. However, C is still in some way related to the road (as the residents of Martin have to come to Ipswich using the road).

So, D is the choice for me.

OA and OE please.

Just a slight correction, the argument is : Widening the road to Rodway from Ipswich will save the Rodway stores, which are struggling to survive.

The weakening answer will include something that either says the congestion isn't the reason why the stores are struggling to survive or it will say that widening the roads won't save the stores, which are struggling (implies to me significant increase in revenue or profit)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
The highway from Ipswich to Rodway is currently overcrowded with traffic, which deters potential customers from visiting Rodway's stores.
The congestion has gotten so bad that many of the stores in Rodway are struggling to survive.
Meanwhile, in Ipswich, the stores are thriving since they widened the road to Martin.
Thus, to alleviate congestion and save Rodway's stores, the road between Ipswich and Rodway should be widened.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the argument above?....i.e., Weaken

A. The construction necessary to widen the road will block an additional lane of traffic, temporarily adding to the congestion.
The road widening here will block one more additional lane of traffic which will add to current issue. But it is temporary and can favor the argument.

B. The stores in Rodway are only profitable during the holiday shopping season.......when they are profitable is not the concern as we should be able to clear traffic to make it comfortable for shoppers. Out of scope.

C. Martin is a thriving metropolis whose residents have several times the purchasing power of those of Ipswich.......martin residents purchasing power have nothing to do with Rodway's as Martin's residents can go to Rodway to purchase products.

D. The owners of Rodway's stores are spending their revenue on advertising and marketing rather than on purchasing new merchandise..............This is completely out of scope and does not affect the argument.

E. Martin's stores have only experienced a slight increase in profits since the road from Ipswich was widened.............this slight increase in profits helped the stores in Ipswich to become successful while only slight increase in profits were experienced by Marint's stores. So in a way the widening of road can result in prosperity for stores of either Ipswich or Rodway or anything else(the road can act as aid in transporting the material on that road). Thus it is not sure that Rodway's stores can be saved as outcome is not sure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [3]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Should be E.

Conclusion says that to alleviate congestetion and save Rodways stores, road from I to R should be widened. Evidence used is that businesses in Martin are thriving since the road from I to M was widened.

So assumption is that there is a causal relationship between widening of road from I to M and thriving businesses at M.

We need to weaken this causal connection.

E does that by suggesting that widening of road between I and R hardly affected the businesses at R.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Here is my take on this.
Question Type: Weaken
Conclusion: Road (I->R) should be widened to SAVE stores in R --> need to prove that it's not the case (little help in saving R-store or not at all)

Quote:

(1) The construction necessary to widen the road will block an additional lane of traffic, temporarily adding to the congestion.
Irrelevant: Conclusion talking about end result not the process

(2) The stores in Rodway are only profitable during the holiday shopping season.
Irrelevant: We should weaken the conclusion (widen the road) not the additional information, which doesn't affect whether you do anything with the road or not

(3) Martin is a thriving metropolis whose residents have several times the purchasing power of those of Ipswich.
Irrelevant: We're talking about widen the road between I & R, not the M's purchasing power

(4) The owners of Rodway's stores are spending their revenue on advertising and marketing, rather than on purchasing new merchandise.
Irrelevant: This could happen with or without the road affect --> neutral since lack of information

(5) Martin's stores have only experienced a slight increase in profits since the road from Ipswich was widened.
Could be: So similar situation happen from I->M while widen the road prove it does little help to increase the profit, so we can predict that same thing will happen with the widen road from I -> R: little affect on the store profit --> no help at all --> Weaken

So at the end, I think (E) is a suitable answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [4]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Kudos