GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Aug 2020, 18:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The hospital lost its accreditation after an ethics investigation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The hospital lost its accreditation after an ethics investigation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 08:00
It is a noun- pronoun issue

The noun is the committee - singular

So,
were becomes was
their becomes its

IMO E

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Re: The hospital lost its accreditation after an ethics investigation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 10:23
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 122: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The hospital lost its accreditation after an ethics investigation revealed that the pharmacy had failed to comply with the conditions of participation for Medicare and that the committee who reviewed surgical procedures were concealing medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from their meetings.

A) and that the committee who reviewed surgical procedures were concealing medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from their meetings

B) as well as considering that the committee who reviewed surgical procedures were concealing medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from its meetings

C) and because the committee that reviewed surgical procedures was concealing medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from their meetings

D) and that the committee that reviewed surgical procedures had concealed medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from their meetings

E) and that the committee that reviewed surgical procedures had concealed medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from its meetings

E seems the correct answer to me based on following reasons -

A) and that the committee who reviewed surgical procedures were concealing medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from their meetings
Who is wrong pronoun for committee as who refers to person/people. Were is wrong verb as committee is singular.

B) as well as considering that the committee who reviewed surgical procedures were concealing medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from its meetings
Same errors as first.
Also, as well as considering is not parallel to revealed that.

C) and because the committee that reviewed surgical procedures was concealing medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from their meetings
use of because after and set me off here.

D) and that the committee that reviewed surgical procedures had concealed medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from their meetings
Again committee is singular and so their is used incorrectly here.

E) and that the committee that reviewed surgical procedures had concealed medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from its meetings
Correct option.

Kudos if you liked the explanation
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 10:39
In my opinion answer should be E

generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 122: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The hospital lost its accreditation after an ethics investigation revealed that the pharmacy had failed to comply with the conditions of participation for Medicare and that the committee who reviewed surgical procedures were concealing medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from their meetings.

B) as well as considering that the committee who reviewed surgical procedures had concealed medical mistakes by rewriting the minutes from its meetings

EDIT: The original options contained A TYPO. Thanks and kudos to GKomoku for spotting the typo.
I will extend the time for the release of the OA. I will post the OA on Wednesday, June 11 at 10 p.m. [22:00] Pacific Daylight Time.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 16:46

Analysis of the original Sentence: The hospital lost its accreditation because of two reasons X and Y.

One event took place earlier in the past and so pas perfect tense is correct and the other also took place in the past so we will use the simple past tense. ( This logic comes into play only for interrelated events in the past).

So, now the committee is a collective noun and must use a singular verb. So, we have S-V error here.
With this analysis, we will do the POE.
The best choice which conveys the intended meaning with proper grammar is choice E.

IMHO E
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 23:14
I have posted the official explanation HERE.
Manager
Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2019, 00:10
Hi generis

Thank you very much for such a detailed explanation. All doubts are clear now. Please, let me ask the source of the question. Is it from PowerScore?
Director
P
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2019, 03:44
I received a PM about this thread.

JonShukhrat wrote:
committee can be followed by either singular or plural verb/pronoun.

On the GMAT, collective nouns are considered SINGULAR.
To date, there have been no exceptions to this rule.
One definition for commission is a group of people officially charged with a specific function.
SC17 in the OG12:
The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word.
Here, the commission (collective noun) is given a singular verb (has directed).

Quote:
the committee that reviewed surgical procedures…[/i] means that there are other people in the committee who reviewed other procedures (therapeutic procedures, reanimation procedures, etc.), and only those people who reviewed surgical processes did conceal the mistakes.

This line of reasoning is incorrect.
OA: the committee that reviewed surgical procedures
Here, the portion in blue implies that there is MORE THAN ONE COMMITTEE:
the committee that discussed the annual budget
the committee that selected a new treasurer
the committee that reviewed surgical procedures

The purpose of the blue portion is to specify WHICH committee is under discussion.
Of the various committees, only one is under discussion:
the committee THAT REVIEWED SURGICAL PROCEDURES.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Manager
Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2019, 04:24
GMATGuruNY

Hi Mitch,

Hats off to you for your quick responce and great explanation. Your analysis of my reasoning with example from OG is much appreciated and needed.
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2019, 10:26
JonShukhrat wrote:
Hi generis

Thank you very much for such a detailed explanation. All doubts are clear now.

You are very welcome. :)
I added tags and the source to the original post.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

BLACK LIVES MATTER.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
The hospital lost its accreditation after an ethics investigation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2020, 08:25
Key thing to pick out in the above is 'had failed,' indicating past tense is in use. Additionally, we already know the two past events 'Lost accreditation AFTER investigation. Therefore we do not require a simple past here as most people mention - we just need to find anything within the past tense that makes coherent logical sense. With that knowledge we can solve pretty easily.

- Were concealing - Present progressive and pronoun issue (the committee is singular) X

- Same as A X

- Same as A (Corrected pronoun issue) X

- Concealed - Past tense but incorrect pronoun usage X

- Correct
GMAT Club Bot
The hospital lost its accreditation after an ethics investigation   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2020, 08:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

The hospital lost its accreditation after an ethics investigation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics