It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 14:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The imported sparkling water charges higher than its

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

The imported sparkling water charges higher than its [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2012, 19:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

77% (01:31) correct 23% (02:27) wrong based on 244 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The imported sparkling water charges higher than its domestic carbonated counterpart. Neither consumers nor their guests will taste the difference, but if people would be embarrassed if it were learned that they were serving a domestic sparkling water, then serve it in a leaded crystal decanter.

The argument above rests on which of the following assumptions?
1) Although there is no difference in taste, sparkling waters taste better when they are decanted.
2) Import duties that are passed on to consumers do not artificially deflate the price of imported waters.
3) Domestic water is not carbonated to make it more sparkling.
4) Some people may purchase an imported sparkling water over a domestic one as a status symbol.
5) Only carbonation is added to make most sparkling waters active.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 46

Re: sparkling water [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2012, 23:26
gjg wrote:
The imported sparkling water charges higher than its domestic carbonated counterpart. Neither consumers nor their guests will taste the difference, but if people would be embarrassed if it were learned that they were serving a domestic sparkling water, then serve it in a leaded crystal decanter.

1) Although there is no difference in taste, sparkling waters taste better when they are decanted.
2) Import duties that are passed on to consumers do not artificially deflate the price of imported waters.
4) Some people may purchase an imported sparkling water over a domestic one as a status symbol.

My answer is A.
Rest of the answers are not relevant and doesn't contribute to the argument.

Whats OA?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 46

G

Kudos [?]: 9096 [0], given: 1155

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2012, 00:53
I think A too

Only make a valid premise to support our conclusion

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9096 [0], given: 1155

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 354 [2], given: 75

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2012, 03:32
This post received
KUDOS
IMO (D)
Though the domestic water tastes the same as the sprinkle water and no one would be able to recognize but the people/guests will be embarrassed if they are caught that they are serving the domestic carbonated water.So even if some one wants to serve it , then serve it in a leaded crystal decanter(which might enhance the look the way water is presented, if not at least the guests will feel that they are pampered properly).Clearly shows that people consider sprinkle water as a status symbol and since its costly people can't afford it (most of the times) and use the domestic water.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 354 [2], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: The imported sparkling water charges higher than its [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2012, 18:01
I don't see why D is correct. Where are GMAT experts?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2012, 21:17
Well done, @thevenus
OA: D

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 75

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 03:05
gjg wrote:
Well done, @thevenus
OA: D

Thank you gjg

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 12:41
Can you please quote the source of this Question.

Can someone please Explain Why C is wrong.

My thoughts : As it it said that if the domestic water is served in the leaded crystal decanter then the guests would not be able to identify and also no in taste.

However if i negate C, it says "Domestic water is more carbonated" than the guests might come to know that this is not imported sparlkling water and therefore Embarrassments for the guests and hence the argument falls apart.

Please can someone explain this??/?

gjg wrote:

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 15

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2016, 03:36
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2016, 21:22
The answer is D.

In general imported Sparkling water should be served. If it is domestic then we have hide it.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 43

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 09:01
Here is my analysis:

Conc: Serve Domestic Sparkling H2O in a leaded crystal decanter.
Bases of conc: Guests would be embarrassed if they realized that the consumer (hosts) are serving a Domestic Sparkling H2O.
P1: Price: ImpS-H2O > DomC-H2O
P2: Nobody will taste the difference between Imp & Dom

Pre-thinking
1st Falsify the conclusion: In which scenario Domestic sparkling H2O can be served in any decanter considering that people would be embarrassed if they realize that hosts are serving Dom H20??
well, If guests actually first impression is to perceive Dom H2O as superior as, or more superior than Imp H2O, and this statues make them feel identify with Dom H2O (something not to feel embarrassed of). So, the assumption would be the negation of this scenario: any kind of evidence that Dom H2O represents a lower status level and make people feel embarrassed of.

Answer Analisys
1) Although there is no difference in taste, sparkling waters taste better when they are decanted. Incorrect. Conclusion is based on people's first impression of water before people drink it. Argument assumes that since there is no difference in taste, if Dom H2O is serve in a crystal decanter, people will assume that is an imported H2O. This kind of water is superior and people feel identify with this status.
2) Import duties that are passed on to consumers do not artificially deflate the price of imported waters. OFS
3) Domestic water is not carbonated to make it more sparkling. Irrelevant. According to premise 1, Sparkling water = carbonated water when it mentions the imported H2O's counterpart.
4) Some people may purchase an imported sparkling water over a domestic one as a status symbol. Correct! If negated: None people may purchase an Imp S H2O over a Dom H2O as a status symbol. This scenario aligns with the pre-thinking and shatters the conclusion. Water served in a Crystal decanter is perceived as imported H2O and it is perceived superior than Dom H2O. People feel identify with this status.
5) Only carbonation is added to make most sparkling waters active. OFS

Hope this help

Rumi

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 43

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 01:31
SM789 wrote:
I don't see why D is correct. Where are GMAT experts?

D is right because the article states that if they feel embrassed do something else. that means there are some people who are embrassed and focus on status.

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Re: The imported sparkling water charges higher than its   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2017, 01:31

The imported sparkling water charges higher than its

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap