Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Re: The impressionist painters expressly disavowed any interest in philoso [#permalink]
Kudos
altairahmad wrote:
GMATNinja and other experts.

As for Q1, where are the 'implications' discussed ? The article is more on the new techniques although the 'developed' part is a bit fishy.

Hi altairahmad,

Implications are nothing but inferences, conclusions that are not explicitly present, yet can be drawn from the passage. Author throughout the passage, tries to draw philosophical implications that the Impressionist Paintings had. Though the techniques used by painters are discussed in details, the results obtained from these techniques are the main concern, as mentioned in the passage: " Impressionist picture do not tell story or convey any special meaning; they are, instead, merely parts of pattern of light drawn from nature and captured on canvas by the artist.". Last lines of the passage completely change the way we look at the passage, as then we understand that implications of the style of painting is the main concern put forward by the author.

Hope this Helps.
Thanks.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [5]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Re: The impressionist painters expressly disavowed any interest in philoso [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
vaishaliii wrote:
can i get a explaination for all answers

Hi vaishaliii,

1. The author of the passage is primarily concerned with
(A) explaining how the Impressionists were influenced by scientific studies of light and color
(B) discussing the philosophical implications of the Impressionist style of painting
(C) identifying the revolutionary artistic techniques developed by the Impressionist painters
(D) analyzing the influence of thinkers like Taine and Mauclair on Impressionist painting
(E) defending the importance of the Impressionist painters in the history of modern art

Explanation: Author throughout the passage, tries to draw philosophical implications that the Impressionist Paintings had. Though the techniques used by painters are discussed in details, the results obtained from these techniques are the main concern, as mentioned in the passage: " Impressionist picture do not tell story or convey any special meaning; they are, instead, merely parts of pattern of light drawn from nature and captured on canvas by the artist.". Last lines of the passage completely change the way we look at the passage, as then we understand that implications of the style of painting is the main concern put forward by the author.

2. According to the passage, the Impressionists differed from the ancient Greeks in that the Impressionists
(A) considered color to be property inherent in objects
(B) placed a higher value on the narrative element in painting
(C) depicted the objects in a painting as isolated, rather than united in a single pattern
(D) treated light, rather than matter, as the ultimate reality
(E) regarded art primarily as a medium for expressing moral and aesthetic ideas

Explanation: can be directly inferred from the lines: "The Impressionists, on the other hand, viewed light, not matter, as the ultimate visual reality.", implying that the Impressionists considered light as the most important part of their painting, in comparison to Greeks, who viewed matter as an an important aspects in their paintings.

3. The author’s quotation of a statement by Taine (lines 15-16) serves which of the following functions in the passage?
(A) It furnishes a specific example of an Impressionist painting that features light as its chief subject.
(B) It resolves an apparent contradiction in the philosophy of the Impressionists.
(C) It qualifies the statement that the ancient Greeks viewed the world in concrete terms.
(D) It summarizes the unique perspective that the Impressionists brought to painting.
(E) It provides a concrete illustration of the far-reaching philosophical implications of Impressionism.

Explanation: Lines in concern: "The chief ‘person’ in a picture is the light in which everything is bathed.”, These lines in short define the view as portrayed by Impressionist painters, in which they considered light as the most important part of their paintings.

Please refer the below explanations by experts for Questions 4,5,6,7.

Q4: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-impressi ... l#p1923726
Q5: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-impressi ... l#p2118775
Q6: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-impressi ... l#p2109824
Q7: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-impressi ... l#p2086779

Let me know if you still have doubts.
Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
VeritasKarishma wrote:
visheshsahni wrote:
Sorry but I disagree how statement 1 can be answered in Q6. I think OA being B is wrong. Should be D, not even E as stated above.

workout Please bump this for expert review. Too many doubts here and not a single confident answer.

GMATNinja KarishmaB - any insights please ?

For question 6, answer (E) is correct.

I. How did the Impressionists perceive matter?

"The ancient Greeks had conceived of the world in concrete terms, even endowing abstract qualities with bodies. This Greek view of matter persisted, so far as painting was concerned, into the nineteenth century. The Impressionists, on the other hand, viewed light, not matter, as the ultimate visual reality."

Gives the Greek view of matter (bodies/objects). Impressionists' viewed matter as "not the ultimate visual reality".

"In Impressionist painting, solid bodies became mere reflectors of light, and distinctions between one object and another became arbitrary conventions"

Gives how Impressionists viewed matter.

"The Impressionist world was composed not of separate objects but of many surfaces on which light struck..."

Again, gives how Impressionists viewed matter.

II. What is the unifying element in a typical Impressionist painting?

"...for by light all things were welded together"

No doubt about this that light was the unifying element.

II. How did the Impressionists’ view of color differ from that of eighteenth-century artists?

"...Color, formerly considered a property inherent in an object, was seen to be merely the result of vibrations of light on the object’s colorless surface."

Again, no doubt.

Quote:
Thanks for explaining but it says correct answer for Q6 is E i.e. i ii and iii. I am still not able to understand "The impressionist painters expressly disavowed any interest in philosophy, yet their new approach" could be true but adding 18th century artists would make this ans choice out of scope as the passage tells nothing about the 18th century artists. I chose i and ii only plz help

Impressionism emerged in the 19th century (mostly late 19th century).

III. How did the Impressionists’ view of color differ from that of eighteenth-century artists?

This Greek view of matter persisted, so far as painting was concerned, into the nineteenth century. The Impressionists, on the other hand, viewed light, not matter, as the ultimate visual reality...
The treatment of both color and outline was transformed as well. Color, formerly considered a property inherent in an object, was seen to be merely the result of vibrations of light on the object’s colorless surface.

18th century artists held the ancient Greek view. Impressionists’ view of color was different and the passage explains how it was different.
Hence III is answered.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
As for #7, what we know about Impressionists is that they were preoccupied with light, not with the actual objects in the picture. Paragraph 4 even tells us that they didn't care about the underlying meaning or significance of the painting. For those reasons, we can eliminate A, B, and D, which all have to do with meaning and ideas, rather than the visual nature of the picture.

That leaves us with C and E. E goes against the idea of the passage, which is that Impressionism was "a purely optic art" (p3). It's certainly possible that they knew they couldn't fully recreate what the world looked like, but there's no indication that they thought it was futile to try. C, on the other hand, says that the objects are not the point of the painting. This is emphasized heavily in p2.

Hi, DmitryFarber

The explanations for eliminating A, B, D, and E are sound. But, in C, granted that the "picture" has nothing to do with the nature of the objects it depicts, how can we comment on the "quality" of the picture having nothing to do with these objects?

It would be great if you could help me out here. Thanks in advance!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
dingodudesir wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:
As for #7, what we know about Impressionists is that they were preoccupied with light, not with the actual objects in the picture. Paragraph 4 even tells us that they didn't care about the underlying meaning or significance of the painting. For those reasons, we can eliminate A, B, and D, which all have to do with meaning and ideas, rather than the visual nature of the picture.

That leaves us with C and E. E goes against the idea of the passage, which is that Impressionism was "a purely optic art" (p3). It's certainly possible that they knew they couldn't fully recreate what the world looked like, but there's no indication that they thought it was futile to try. C, on the other hand, says that the objects are not the point of the painting. This is emphasized heavily in p2.

Hi, DmitryFarber

The explanations for eliminating A, B, D, and E are sound. But, in C, granted that the "picture" has nothing to do with the nature of the objects it depicts, how can we comment on the "quality" of the picture having nothing to do with these objects?

It would be great if you could help me out here. Thanks in advance!

The interest of the object upon which it plays is secondary. Painting thus conceived becomes a purely optic art.”
It makes me shortlist C and E.
I rejected E because the paintings happen to optic due to their light methodology . E seems to be against the idea.

I considered quality as the element of the picture. C says quality has nothing to do with xxx. It means picture is characterized based on something else.
e.g.: the quality of shirt is high as it is made of cotton. The quality of shirt has noting to do with plastic. I assumed quality is measured based on its some core elements not based on something that is irrelevant.

This is how I understood. I hope it clears.
lets see what our dear expert has to say on this. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
(A) explaining how the Impressionists were influenced by scientific studies of light and color
(B) discussing the philosophical implications of the Impressionist style of painting
(C) identifying the revolutionary artistic techniques developed by the Impressionist painters
(D) analyzing the influence of thinkers like Taine and Mauclair on Impressionist painting
(E) defending the importance of the Impressionist painters in the history of modern art

Para 1-
The impressionist painters expressly disavowed any interest in philosophy, yet their new approach to art had far-reaching philosophical implications

The author mentions in para 2 how solid bodies are merely reflection of light ,color becomes vibration of light and boundaries often merged. In para 3 author mentions that Light becomes subject of the picture and finally in para 4 all object are merely part of patterns of light drawn from nature . All discusses the interpretation of impressionist's style of working
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Igor010 wrote:

(A) explaining how the Impressionists were influenced by scientific studies of light and color – nothing was told about scientific studies
(B) discussing the philosophical implications of the Impressionist style of painting – the correct answer
(C) identifying the revolutionary artistic techniques developed by the Impressionist painters - the philosophical implications, not techniques is the main point
(D) analyzing the influence of thinkers like Taine and Mauclair on Impressionist painting – those philosophers were only examples, not the main figures
(E) defending the importance of the Impressionist painters in the history of modern art – not importance in the history, but the philosophical implications are relevant here.

2. According to the passage, the Impressionists differed from the ancient Greeks in that the Impressionists

(A) considered color to be property inherent in objects
(B) placed a higher value on the narrative element in painting
(C) depicted the objects in a painting as isolated, rather than united in a single pattern – the opposite answer choice
(D) treated light, rather than matter, as the ultimate reality – Correct “The Impressionists, on the other hand, viewed light, not matter, as the ultimate visual reality.”
(E) regarded art primarily as a medium for expressing moral and aesthetic ideas

3. The author’s quotation of a statement by Taine (lines 15-16) serves which of the following functions in the passage?

Here I hesitate between A and E, but choose E, because A for me is more like a function in the paragraph, while E in the passage.

(A) It furnishes a specific example of an Impressionist painting that features light as its chief subject.
(B) It resolves an apparent contradiction in the philosophy of the Impressionists.
(C) It qualifies the statement that the ancient Greeks viewed the world in concrete terms.
(D) It summarizes the unique perspective that the Impressionists brought to painting.
(E) It provides a concrete illustration of the far-reaching philosophical implications of Impressionism. - Correct

4. According to the passage, the Impressionists believed that the atmosphere

(A) reflects light with varying intensity
(B) creates the illusion of color in colorless surfaces
(C) modifies the shapes of objects – Correct: “The Impressionist world was composed not of separate objects but of many surfaces on which light struck and was reflected with varying intensity to the eye through the atmosphere, which modified it.”
(D) is the result of vibrations of light
(E) affects the way we perceived color

5. The author’s use of the term “mosaic of colors” (line 32) suggests that Impressionist paintings were characterized by
(A) discontinuous dabs of unmixed pigment – not correct: “The Impressionist world was composed not of separate objects”
(B) broad, sweeping brush strokes – cannot be inferred from the info given
(C) clearly defined forms and objects – not correct: “The Impressionist world was composed not of separate objects but of many surfaces on which light struck”
(D) subjects devoid of emotive or literary qualities - correct
(E) the glowing reds, greens, and midnight blues of stained glass – we cannot conclude the concrete colors

6. The passage contains information that answers which of the following questions?
I. How did the Impressionists perceive matter? – Yes: “The interest of the object upon which it plays is secondary.”
II. What is the unifying element in a typical Impressionist painting? – Yes, it’s light.
III. How did the Impressionists’ view of color differ from that of eighteenth-century artists? – Although it’ s said that “Color, formerly considered a property inherent in an object, was seen to be merely the result of vibrations of light on the object’s colorless surface.”, nothing is said about the view of 19 cent artists.
(A) I only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only - correct
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

7. The ideas attributed to the Impressionists in the passage suggest that an Impressionist painter would be most likely to agree with which of the following statement?
(A) A picture is significant primarily as a manifestation of the artist’s mental state.
(B) The highest purpose of art is to teach religious truths. – not correct: “all ideas—religious, moral, psychological—were excluded”
(C) The quality of a picture has nothing to do with the nature of the objects it depicts. – correct: the third paragraph explains that the color and shape of the objects are the work of the artist.
(D) An artist should strive to recreate on canvas the inner nature of objects from real life.
(E) It is futile to attempt to paint pictures that aim to copy the optical appearance of the world.

It would be good to see the OA and OE….. :)

For the first question, the author barely talks abt the implications. He mentions the same in the start and that's about it. He keeps bringing up the techniques. Would be great if you could explain. Thanks a lot in advance :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
literally this passage hold my mind !

but this is my starting , we will upgrade it
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3516
Schools: Ross '24 (M)
Send PM
VeritasKarishma egmat GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo
Could you please help explain why option A in question 4 is incorrect?
I was choosing between A and E but ended up choosing A.
I didn't see the difference between these 2 options.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
The impressionist painters expressly disavowed any interest in philoso [#permalink]
GMATNinja, can you please explain on the basis of what E for q3 should be eliminated?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The impressionist painters expressly disavowed any interest in philoso [#permalink]
GMATNinja, for Q5, can you please explain why E should be eliminated? What is the rationale for A in this question?

I originally selected E for this question based on the understanding that mosaic of colors is essentially the mixture of colors.

5. The author’s use of the term “mosaic of colors” (line 32) suggests that Impressionist paintings were characterized by
(A) discontinuous dabs of unmixed pigment
(B) broad, sweeping brush strokes
(C) clearly defined forms and objects
(D) subjects devoid of emotive or literary qualities
(E) the glowing reds, greens, and midnight blues of stained glass
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMATNinja, could you please help to determine for q6 where does it mention in the passage that view of artists from 18th century (not from other centuries) and Impr's view have been compared?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Hi expert,
can you explain why B is the correct answer?
I know at the very first of the passage have mentioned: "The impressionist painters expressly disavowed any interest in philosophy, yet their new approach to art had far-reaching philosophical implications". But in other paragraph doesn't seem to relate to "philosophical implication" at all, except the final paragraph.

GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
krittapat wrote:
VeritasKarishma egmat GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo
Could you please help explain why option A in question 4 is incorrect?
I was choosing between A and E but ended up choosing A.
I didn't see the difference between these 2 options.

You can find the explanation to question #4 in the post in the link below

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-impressi ... l#p1923729
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
tkorzhan1995 wrote:
GMATNinja, can you please explain on the basis of what E for q3 should be eliminated?

Explanation to Q#3

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-impressi ... l#p2576196
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
tkorzhan1995 wrote:
GMATNinja, for Q5, can you please explain why E should be eliminated? What is the rationale for A in this question?

I originally selected E for this question based on the understanding that mosaic of colors is essentially the mixture of colors.

(A) discontinuous dabs of unmixed pigment
(B) broad, sweeping brush strokes
(C) clearly defined forms and objects
(D) subjects devoid of emotive or literary qualities
(E) the glowing reds, greens, and midnight blues of stained glass

Explanation to Q#5

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-impressi ... l#p2118775
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
tkorzhan1995 wrote:
GMATNinja, could you please help to determine for q6 where does it mention in the passage that view of artists from 18th century (not from other centuries) and Impr's view have been compared?

Explanation to Q#6

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-impressi ... l#p2109824
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts